General Do any of these count as clinical experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Question

Member Question
Volunteer Staff
Reaction score
There's a patient support corps from UCSF that is giving out applications to my university, but I don't think any of the positions will count as clinical experience because they are all remote (so I can't "smell" the patients). Do any of these count as clinical volunteering? If not, what umbrella would they fall under?

Task 1: Engage in clerical or data management work such as online research; data entry; transcription; data quality control; administering surveys by telephone or in-person; and similar tasks.

Task 2: Call patients with upcoming appointments; assess and document their needs; and refer them to resources that address their needs.

Task 3: Take calls during shifts on UCSF hotlines, including the COVID-19 hotline. Assist with triaging patients, addressing questions, and referring or escalating patients to resources.

Task 4: Call patients who have been referred for more intensive coaching. Assure that the patients have reviewed educational materials about their condition; and assist them in writing a list of questions to be sent to their physician in advance of their upcoming consultation.

Task 5: Virtually accompany patients to visits with physicians, via Zoom. Take notes for the patient; and make audio-recordings of the visit. Summarize the notes and give copies of the summary and recording to the patient as a memory aid.

Task 6: Staff other projects that may need student assistance with patient support tasks, such as cancer supportive care (e.g. distress screening), and kidney transplantation.

Task 7: Maintain key standards after training in patient privacy, good clinical practices, legal and risk management requirements, and documentation and data collection and management.

Task 8: Reflect critically on Tasks 1-8 every week in writing and in a case review meeting held on Fridays at 5 pm with the program directoror coordinator or UC Berkeley student group leaders. Students will learn the Critical Incident Technique for practice-based learning and improvement. Our program also conducts research on the data collected by students regarding barriers and facilitators relevant to program implementation.

— Experts please respond to this post —

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
None of these are clinical, though the closest is 5. Mostly sound like nonclinical volunteering, or possibly research. Some of it, like calling patients to remind them of appointments or asking if they read their handouts, are downright scutwork.

If some of this is an organized QI project which it sort of sounds like it may be, it may really fall under QI research if they’re planning to publish. But I can’t imagine they will give any authorship to you for any of these tasks

Status
Not open for further replies.