Does anybody know what I should focus on the Pcat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kitty84

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I want to take the Pcat sometime this year (2008) or 2009, but I don't know what I should really focus on it. Should I focus on Biol, chem and English only? How about Stats and other random stuff? Thanks:love:

Ah, I plan to apply in a year (2010 admission), is that okay to take the Pcat this year (2008)?

Members don't see this ad.

you should be able to answer this question yourself based on your grades you're getting from the perquisite course. If you're getting C and Ds on gen chem i would say study on gen chem and not on BIO that you're getting A in.

I got a thick Kaplan study guide (It was like $45). I mostly just read, took notes, and did the practice problems. I scored in the 85th percentile and most of the prereq classes I took in the early 2000's. That book really helped! I studied for about 6 weeks but some of those weeks I didn't' have to work.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mostly I get As on the classes. However, after I take the exams and get the grades, I just forget about what I learned, which is a problem haha

PharmApp, I bought the Kaplan Pcat pharmacy college admission test (2008-2009 edition). Is it the one you used? Did you use any other quick review? I just don't know how and where I should start. I took a look at the book and it was just too much and then I felt bad.

I tried to find my book and see but didn't find it. I bought it last fall so it may be an edition behind. I was really worried about retaking the PCAT since it had been so long since I took the classes. I have worked in accounting mostly since I graduated with my biology degree! I thought I would just, I don't know...reread all of my undergrad textbooks! Yeah right, I got through 3 chapters of chem and realized I didn't have 10 years to study for the test. The Kaplan guide overwhelemed me at first but I studied it diligently and took notes just like if it was a class I was taking. I think it prepared me really well and it was about all I had time to study. I was putting in 6-8 hours a day of studying maybe for a month before the test (until I had to get a job).

PharmApp, thank you sooooo much. I will follow whatever in the Kaplan guide. If I get a good grade on the Pcat, I will buy you 3 dinners, no maybe 4 haha

Did they have practice exam before the test? And did the test cover Statistics? I hope not since I really hate probability, just don't see why they make up the probability to make us learn.

I'd suggest looking at more study material for Organic Chem. Posters from the board said that they noticed a lot more Orgo on the PCAT that the Kaplan did not adequately cover.

Well, I had my own strategy. I figured out which type of problems I was the worst on and I skipped them. With the Kaplan guide, you will not know enough calculus to answer the questions, so I skipped them. I also skipped statistics. I barely had enough time to calculate all of the rest and then I went back and guessed on the ones I skipped. I think I was in the 89th percentile in Math. As for organic, no they don't cover enough. I had to take educated guesses and try to remember my organic. I will try to remember if there was anything else I wasn't prepared for. Hope you all do well!

They do have a practice exam before you start studying in the Kaplan book. It is the diagnostic test. There is also a test at the end.

I tried to find my book and see but didn't find it. I bought it last fall so it may be an edition behind. I was really worried about retaking the PCAT since it had been so long since I took the classes. I have worked in accounting mostly since I graduated with my biology degree! I thought I would just, I don't know...reread all of my undergrad textbooks! Yeah right, I got through 3 chapters of chem and realized I didn't have 10 years to study for the test. The Kaplan guide overwhelemed me at first but I studied it diligently and took notes just like if it was a class I was taking. I think it prepared me really well and it was about all I had time to study. I was putting in 6-8 hours a day of studying maybe for a month before the test (until I had to get a job).

That is hardcore! lol sorry but I just saw that.

So how much "skipping" did you do? I've heard of that strategy before, but I'm always anal about giving a problem my best, and then I end up losing time on something that I'll probably miss.

wow, sounds to me that you skipped a lot when you studied, so what should I focus on? I did really well in Organic Chemistry when I took it (I got a perfect on the final exam), but it has been one year and I am not sure what part of O-chem they are going to put on the Pcat. I'm not sure whether it's different from what I learned in school? Maybe I should calm down and study instead of getting so worried and then not doing well.
How about the vocabulary and writing sections, how did you prepare for that one, PharmApp?

I am very anal on questions also. The first time I took the PCAT I made around 50% in math because I refused to stop trying to figure out the problems, so I probably got the 1rst 10 right and the last 40 wrong because I didn't have time to even look at them! I made myself stick to my plan this last time and my score obviously improved. I am, however, very slow at answering questions. I took Organic in 2002 so you are probably in better shape than I was, Kitty 84. I think I did okay on that part though. I am bad at vocab and just okay at writing. For the vocab, I just used the Kaplan guide and was relieved that the test used mostly words I had at least heard of. Don't even ask what I got on the GRE! The writing I did well on content and bad on stucture. I don't know why that was. I followed the Kaplan guide and didn't do very well! I got a 2 on structure and 3.5 on content. Maybe because I didn't use 5 paragraphs? Kaplan said use 3 and I did. Oh well I have been accepted so I'm am Okay with that!

I found my book, it was Kaplan 2008-2009. There are some errors in it but I found them to be pretty easy to catch.