Does anyone "Bring It"-P90x?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, yesterday I started a workout plan that i made myself. I have some questions about it that are unrelated to P90X. Can anyone posting here help me out? Seems like there are some fitness buffs in here.

Let me know and I'll post my workout plan and questions........

Members don't see this ad.

I think there is a "lets get fit" thread around here somewhere (and linked in this thread) that will keep you from hijacking

Does squatting require training? Yes. is it "a disaster waiting to happen unless you have two good spotters?" Absolutely not. I've been squatting for 10 years and have never had an injury and never used a spotter. If you use the appropriate safety equipment, and know what you're doing, its a very safe exercise and there's no substitute for the amount of leg development it provides. I googled p90x images and none of the before/after pictures included quadracepts why? Because its incredibly difficult to get this kinda of leg development with only bodyweight exercises.

0.jpg

I'm not trying to make a value judgement based on the type of physique that some people are after, but if you want large ripped quads, P90x isn't going to cut it.

also, outtie. p90x will not give you an outtie

Members don't see this ad :)
I think there is a "lets get fit" thread around here somewhere (and linked in this thread) that will keep you from hijacking

Great. I'll try to find it. I didn't see it when I searched, but I'll try looking for it again. Thanks for your help. :)

I think it's in the lounge...

I posted in the marathoning thread. Couldn't find the other thread about "getting fit" that was mentioned. Anyone who wants to give advice feel free to check it out. Thx.

My routine, which I've done throughout med school:

Monday: chest- 3 sets on incline db, flat bb, incline bb, flat db, db flies. 1st set 80% of 6 rep max for 8 reps; 6 reps @ 100%, then 12 reps at 60%.

Tuesday: legs - 3 sets with same splits on squat, dl, leg press, leg curl, leg extension, calf raise.

Wed: arms, 3 sets of standing bb curl, crushers, standing db triceps, seated db curl, preacher bb, tricep rope pushdown, weighted dip, reverse grip bb curl, preacher bb, and tricep overhead rope extension.

Thu off

Fri shoulders/back: 3 sets db military, db shrug, bb military, bb shrug, lateral/front db raises, weighted pullup, lat pulldown, bent over rows.

Sat off:

Sunday: isometric holds 45 sec at 50% of 8rm, 30 sec at 66% 8rm on 10 exercises.

never done crossfit. from what I understand, you need a gym membership to do it right? I do p90x because I can do it at home. with travel time, an hour at home is about the same as 30 min at a gym.

For those who are worried about the price of a crossfit membership - see if the gym in your area has free sessions. I know the crossfit in Madison is free on Saturday mornings so I was able to test it out a couple times.

Are you still able to do this during residency?
Seems like 60-70mins?

Monday: chest- 3 sets on incline db, flat bb, incline bb, flat db, db flies. 1st set 80% of 6 rep max for 8 reps; 6 reps @ 100%, then 12 reps at 60%.

Tuesday: legs - 3 sets with same splits on squat, dl, leg press, leg curl, leg extension, calf raise.

Wed: arms, 3 sets of standing bb curl, crushers, standing db triceps, seated db curl, preacher bb, tricep rope pushdown, weighted dip, reverse grip bb curl, preacher bb, and tricep overhead rope extension.

Thu off

Fri shoulders/back: 3 sets db military, db shrug, bb military, bb shrug, lateral/front db raises, weighted pullup, lat pulldown, bent over rows.

Sat off:

Sunday: isometric holds 45 sec at 50% of 8rm, 30 sec at 66% 8rm on 10 exercises.

Are you still able to do this during residency?
Seems like 60-70mins?

Yeah about an hour; I'll def be able to do it during residency; I'll work less hours in rads than I did m3 for sure.

Thu off

Sat off:

Really like this routine..what do you do for cardio? I always have trouble getting the cardio in I just can't get pumped up for it like the weights you know lol.

P90x wise I love that Ab Ripper X, just did it today.

Really like this routine..what do you do for cardio? I always have trouble getting the cardio in I just can't get pumped up for it like the weights you know lol.

I try to run a bit on my off days; just maybe 3-5 miles a day during the isometric and two off days for 10-15 mi a week. Outside in the summer and treadmill in the winter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there anyone here who can give me the approximate time I need to devote to p90x2 to follow the program? What about Insanity? I've used P90x and liked the results, but I don't think its compatible with internship work hours.

Reactions: 1 user
Is there anyone here who can give me the approximate time I need to devote to p90x2 to follow the program? What about Insanity? I've used P90x and liked the results, but I don't think its compatible with internship work hours.

X2 takes roughly about the same amount of time that X1 does. The yoga workout is shorter (and more enjoyable imo, in fact I just finished doing it). Insanity for the first month I believe takes 20 min, and then bumps it to 40 minutes for the second month. Insanity also requires no equipment for most of the workouts. upper body weight training needs dumbbells and a bench I think - haven't done insanity 1. Insanity: the asylum is fun, but all the workouts there are 40+ minutes. If you want something quick to do during internship, pick up insanity. thats probably going to be the shortest workout. Well, if you want to stick with tony you could try 10 minute trainer, tho thats really more for people just starting out, you can always make things hard by using appropriate weight or modifying.

Thumbs up for Insanity 20 minute workouts (40 mins compressed into 20)-great to do right out of bed to start your day...personally, when the going gets tough (rotations, exams etc..) with Insanity, you might not get the bulk- only one aspect,- but at least you'll maintain the strength, fitness, low bf, endurance (more important factors in my mind)...throw in some all natural pushups and pullups from the p90x routines perhaps and you're money

Used to stick with the whole P90X routine. Got sick of working out in my apt. I now do cardio at the gym, followed by a quick jump rope session, then ab ripper x. Can exchange the rope for pushups, if needed. Great 45-60 min. workout out.

Those are quicker, or "lean" days. More lifting/less cardio on rougher days.

Just started insanity. Gotta say, I like the shorter workouts and the eye candy (similar principle to being on the treadmill behind a girl in yoga pants ;) keeps you invested longer lol) I dont appreciate Sean T telling me to "Jack it out" however.....

I loved the p90x workouts, but my dang knee couldn't handle plyo. I'm going to try tae bo, and do weights on my own.

One option if you want variety is to just use the 2 upper body weight lifting P90x videos, and then do your own cardio the rest of the week. You can't beat those two videos.

Oh, and you can definitely fit it in if you get up at 6! I have to do 4 am to fit it into my residency schedule (plus newborn twins keeps me busy lol).

Do you need a bench or stability ball for P90X?
Basically something to lay on.

Have people found those home pull-up bars to actually work well?

Do you need a bench or stability ball for P90X?
Basically something to lay on.

Have people found those home pull-up bars to actually work well?

you need a ball for X2, but X you can get away with nothing but a band for X.

I have one of those pull-up bars, but i havent had a doorway with the right proportions in the last 2 places ive lived :laugh: I just use it for pushups

the bands are pretty good at replacing pullup bar for p90x, but i would recommend free weights for all of the actual weightlifting. I don't think the bands are as good.

Very minimal equipment needed for p90x. I have bowflex adjustable dumbbels so those are all i need for weightlifting.

you need a ball for X2, but X you can get away with nothing but a band for X.

I have one of those pull-up bars, but i havent had a doorway with the right proportions in the last 2 places ive lived :laugh: I just use it for pushups

Thanks.
I have a similar concern about doorway dimensions at my next apartment. I've often considered using bands at home, but never figured out what to immobilize them with.

What do you guys wrap/tie them around?

the bands are pretty good at replacing pullup bar for p90x, but i would recommend free weights for all of the actual weightlifting. I don't think the bands are as good.

Very minimal equipment needed for p90x. I have bowflex adjustable dumbbels so those are all i need for weightlifting.

Do you ever find the bowflex to be too wide/long to do some of the maneuvers or is it manageable?

Thanks.
I have a similar concern about doorway dimensions at my next apartment. I've often considered using bands at home, but never figured out what to immobilize them with.

What do you guys wrap/tie them around?

they show you a lot of techniques for them in the videos. For the "pullups" part several of the band sets will come with a door adapter. Just close the thing in a door and you are good to go. I did it the ohter day with a "plus" band set - it has clips on each band so you can double up to increase resistance. The door was fine.

Most recently I've been doing GSP's RushFit and I really like it. Workouts are ~45 minutes including a warmup and a cool down. They're broken down into 5 minute rounds so if you're in a time crunch you can just do a couple instead of all 5. Also Steve Cotter's Extreme Kettlebell DVD is awesome for a home workout.

I've previously tried P90x, TapoutXT and done Insanity (which I thought was great), but RushFit and Extreme Kettlebells are my favorites.

P90x is a good work-out program. The problem is (1) the workouts are long, especially since you repeat most of the same videos quite often and they get really boring. (2) you have to be really motivated to keep up with the program and the diet (3) sometimes they require 2 workouts in a day (so 2 hours).

I joined Crossfit recently and love it. Workouts change all the time. They're high intensity, you're motivated by the people around you. You get instruction in correct technique so you don't injure yourself. You learn the full range of flexibility, cardio, weight, etc. It's a whole body workout. They have nice equipment at the gym. You get to learn how to do "fun" olympic-style weightlifting techniques. You make friends (both coaches and other athletes). There's a social dimension to it and it's nice as a med student (even on clinics) to spend 3-4 hours a week with non-medicine people and get some exercise in too.

I've actually though about trying to propose daytime "Crossfit" workout programs for residents at my institution. Wouldn't it be awesome if everyone was required to spend 2 hrs/week taking a break from their clinical duties and doing a high-intensity workout at the hospital in a specified area with a Crossfit coach? I know it would make me a happier resident.

All the more power to you then. I just don't understand this desire among many med students and residents to be totally jacked. The health benefits of exercise can be had with much less strenuous (and thus easier to maintain!) routines but perhaps without the 8 pack.

P90x is a good work-out program. The problem is (1) the workouts are long, especially since you repeat most of the same videos quite often and they get really boring. (2) you have to be really motivated to keep up with the program and the diet (3) sometimes they require 2 workouts in a day (so 2 hours).

I joined Crossfit recently and love it. Workouts change all the time. They're high intensity, you're motivated by the people around you. You get instruction in correct technique so you don't injure yourself. You learn the full range of flexibility, cardio, weight, etc. It's a whole body workout. They have nice equipment at the gym. You get to learn how to do "fun" olympic-style weightlifting techniques. You make friends (both coaches and other athletes). There's a social dimension to it and it's nice as a med student (even on clinics) to spend 3-4 hours a week with non-medicine people and get some exercise in too.

I've actually though about trying to propose daytime "Crossfit" workout programs for residents at my institution. Wouldn't it be awesome if everyone was required to spend 2 hrs/week taking a break from their clinical duties and doing a high-intensity workout at the hospital in a specified area with a Crossfit coach? I know it would make me a happier resident.

It's great that you enjoy Crossfit and do it. However, unless the bolded is held optional (not 'required' as you post), it's not something I could support or ever consider as a possibility. Crossfit isn't something that anyone can just walk into and not injure themselves doing. People that get pushed too hard beyond their own physical limitations can rhabdo themselves.

You wont get huge without lifting weight. You can get pretty athletic though. But i tell you , you ll need more than 90 days