Does anyone feel good about the Aug MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.D-man

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone feel good about their performance? All I have seen is negative feelings. I know I can't be the only one who feels somewhat good about the test.

Members don't see this ad.

don't feel great. and don't feel like it was disastrous.

just feel unsure, uncertain, and not all that confident.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr.D-man said:
Does anyone feel good about their performance? All I have seen is negative feelings. I know I can't be the only one who feels somewhat good about the test.

I reserve the good feelings until October comes around when I see at least a 9-or-10 in each section. :cool:

I, likewise, just feel really uncertain. I don't feel like I did very poorly or anything (although I had a hard time remembering the PS section by even the end of the day), but I really have no idea what to expect in terms of hitting my target score or several points above or below. Grrr....How many more days till Octobeer 13th??? ;-)

Dr.D-man said:

i actually do feel good about this one. this is my 3rd and final time around so i better feel good or else i'd be sad! the last two times i felt very uncertain...and got the same exact score both times :oops: i guess the reason i feel good this time is because i finished all my sections on time/early and the last two times i never finished any section.

I think it's self preservation. But think about it....those people who've been scoring really high on practice tests don't feel good about the real deal, because it's altogether possible that they scored above a 30 but still well below what they've shown they're capable of in practice.

Those who've been scoring decently but not outstanding have no reason to expect that their score improved by a huge margin...considering that we plowed through so many questions, many of which are experimental, and many more of which had two answers that were just as likely to be correct.

Essentially, there's no reward to feeling that you did well, because there's no way (regardless of what the AAMC suspects) to remember enough of the questions to gauge how you did, nor is there a way to predict how it will be scaled.

So everyone comes out feeling dread....and afraid of the hubris of being confident about their performance.

I personally was operating at 50% capacity, so besides luck, i have no reason to expect that i did my best....but i don't know for sure...so i take comfort in the vague feeling of "oh crap" so i wont be too disappointed if my score actually turns out to be low.

Foolins said:
Essentially, there's no reward to feeling that you did well, because there's no way (regardless of what the AAMC suspects) to remember enough of the questions to gauge how you did, nor is there a way to predict how it will be scaled.

yea i seriously was trying to think consciously the other day about what my passages were about, and i couldn't for the life of me remember many except for the ones i struggled with. after so many passages and practice questions, they all just blur together. when someone was asking me a specific question today from my form, i had literally no idea which question/passage she was referring to!

bananaboat said:
yea i seriously was trying to think consciously the other day about what my passages were about, and i couldn't for the life of me remember many except for the ones i struggled with. after so many passages and practice questions, they all just blur together. when someone was asking me a specific question today from my form, i had literally no idea which question/passage she was referring to!

Which only succeeds in convincing you that you must've not understood the passage if you didn't even remember it existing.

Foolins said:
Which only succeeds in convincing you that you must've not understood the passage if you didn't even remember it existing.

nope not exactly...with time the topic came back to me. what it did convince me of is that i tend to focus on the things i found challenging, and what i didn't know, or the stupid mistakes i made. since i dwell on it, and 'rehearse' it in my working memory shortly after the test. so it becomes well encoded. i guess the more neutral/easier passages aren't really focused on as much for me personally right after the test. so they aren't remembered as well. thus, perhaps because my thought is focused on what challenged me, it lowers my overall expectations of how i did.

Maybe i'm just more neurotic, because I envision the AAMC as trying to trap and trick me with every question, so if i dismissed a passage as being easy, then i probably didn't catch their angle....

I feel good...that I'm DONE with it....that's all. I take pleasure in having low expectations in my results, at least I won't get too devastated when I see a s@#$ score. Then I can regroup and do over again.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have no more feelins left. No emotions - This is the third time I've taking the exam. The only thing I have left is belief. Belief in a miracle from GOD that is.

Can one supernaturally pass the MCAT? - H*ll yeah!! (what an oxymoron huh? - perhaps in this case it shouda been "heaven yeah" :D )

bananaboat said:
nope not exactly...with time the topic came back to me. what it did convince me of is that i tend to focus on the things i found challenging, and what i didn't know, or the stupid mistakes i made. since i dwell on it, and 'rehearse' it in my working memory shortly after the test. so it becomes well encoded. i guess the more neutral/easier passages aren't really focused on as much for me personally right after the test. so they aren't remembered as well. thus, perhaps because my thought is focused on what challenged me, it lowers my overall expectations of how i did.
Thats deep. lol You should stop worrying.

Orth2006 said:
I have no more feelins left. No emotions - This is the third time I've taking the exam. The only thing I have left is belief. Belief in a miracle from GOD that is.

Can one supernaturally pass the MCAT? - H*ll yeah!! (what an oxymoron huh? - perhaps in this case it shouda been "heaven yeah" :D )
I've gotten to this point as well. Hang in there

I've taken it four times. I probably slept two hours in the three days since the test. And you know what? The sun is going to shine, and a brand new day is up ahead.

Well, that and it helps that my parents are really supportive. If anything, my mom just said, "Meh, just pick up the pieces son and charge at it again for a fifth time. No quitters in our family." :)

Right now, I'm feeling a 24, which is the score I got the first time I took it.

Dr.D-man said:

I too have heard a lot of the negative feelings concerning the Aug examination and I must say that I felt absolutely wonderful about the exam. Leaving the exam, I had a sense of peace which was unlike any practice exam I'd ever taken. I think it comes from knowing that I worked my hardest and that I must let God do the rest. I understand that everyone on sdn doesn't believe in God, but for those who do, take refuge in the fact that what's meant to be will be. Only time will tell how we all performed, but I for one am not gonna worry because I know that the blessing is already done. Good luck to you all!

bruinboy310 said:
I can't just get 9-10-10 or 10-9-9 or 10-10-10... I don't know about you but there are some people out there with GPA less than 3.7 and they need much higher MCAT scores than that... :oops:
Hey boy, there is soooo much belief involved in this process than you can imagine. I've seen mdapplicants with low 20's getting into US allo schools. They believed they can get in with those scores so they applied and were accepted. I've also seen neurotic premeds on SDN with 35 and planning on a retake. They just don't believe that that such scores will get them in. Oh well...

But I am a believer. Give me 28 or more and I'm good to go. :D

Foolins said:
I think it's self preservation. But think about it....those people who've been scoring really high on practice tests don't feel good about the real deal, because it's altogether possible that they scored above a 30 but still well below what they've shown they're capable of in practice.

Those who've been scoring decently but not outstanding have no reason to expect that their score improved by a huge margin...considering that we plowed through so many questions, many of which are experimental, and many more of which had two answers that were just as likely to be correct.

So everyone comes out feeling dread....and afraid of the hubris of being confident about their performance.

I personally was operating at 50% capacity, so besides luck, i have no reason to expect that i did my best....but i don't know for sure...so i take comfort in the vague feeling of "oh crap" so i wont be too disappointed if my score actually turns out to be low.

i like how you think... because i couldn't agree more. :) good luck, everyone!

GuzzyRon said:
Hey boy, there is soooo much belief involved in this process than you can imagine. I've seen mdapplicants with low 20's getting into US allo schools. They believed they can get in with those scores so they applied and were accepted. I've also seen neurotic premeds on SDN with 35 and planning on a retake. They just don't believe that that such scores will get them in. Oh well...

But I am a believer. Give me 28 or more and I'm good to go. :D

yeah i know someone w/a 25 MCAT who got into a couple of US allo schools, but she also had a 3.9 GPA...

cbenedic said:
i actually do feel good about this one. this is my 3rd and final time around so i better feel good or else i'd be sad! the last two times i felt very uncertain...and got the same exact score both times :oops: i guess the reason i feel good this time is because i finished all my sections on time/early and the last two times i never finished any section.

This is my 3rd time around also. I also felt uncertain about the first two and ALSO got the exact same score both times. I felt completely different with this MCAT...the only one I've felt 'good' about. I thought that the sections weren't as difficult and I, too, did better with timing. Hopefully, it'll reflect on my score, but you never know for sure until they release the scores.

Notzfall said:
This is my 3rd time around also. I also felt uncertain about the first two and ALSO got the exact same score both times. I felt completely different with this MCAT...the only one I've felt 'good' about. I thought that the sections weren't as difficult and I, too, did better with timing. Hopefully, it'll reflect on my score, but you never know for sure until they release the scores.

i'm glad we are in the same boat :) i hope our "good" feeling about this test reflects our scores when we get them in october! good luck! ;)

cbenedic said:
i'm glad we are in the same boat :) i hope our "good" feeling about this test reflects our scores when we get them in october! good luck! ;)

I feel pretty good about PS and BS. VR still doesn't feel so great.

gujuDoc said:
I think I am with Bananaboat in that I'm unsure and don't want to predict anything and then it be different from my predictions.

That is probably a healthy attitude.

I feel kind of... :barf:

I just wish the wait weren't so long.

medfool24 said:
I'm with Kikaku21, I got owned by verbal.

Yeah. And given 3 Kaplan practice tests and 7 AAMC practice tests, I gotta say.... I didn't see it coming.

Oh well. I have talked to a few people who tend to get 10 - 12 on the section and everyone felt the same way. That should be comforting, shouldn't it? I usually get 10 - 12 too.... So that should ALSO be comforting.

Its hard to feel good about it.

gujuDoc said:
Exactly!!! Everyone feels like they've been pwned by the MCAT until the scores come out and many tend to do better then expected. :p

There've been people with 40+ scores who felt like they were owned by the test. And I'm not just talking about the people from this past April, but also people who took it last August who are now at places like HMS.

One girl from Duke now at HMS originally applied to like 30+ schools because she was sooooooooo worried about her scores and ended up with about a 40 or 41. I forget the exact score.

Others with 35-43 on the MCAT have felt that way too.

Yes. There are great stories about that.

I sure hope I am one of them. Actually, I'd be happy with a 34+. 33 was the bottom of may range... 37 was the top. I hit 37 3 times.

Its just hard to maintain confidence in a sea of uncertainty.

I would feel pretty decent if it weren't for that Physical Sciences section... but since I really did study my ass off for this thing, I should still have a good shot at a nice score.

I took the GRE just in case for grad school, and the verbal on the GRE is 1000000000x's harder than the VR for the MCAT. I think I scored a 400 on the verbal on the GRE (out of 800). Thank god the MCAT doesn't have those stupid analogies or passages where you have to fill in the blanks with words you would never see unless you opened up a 27 volume bound edition of webster's dictionary.

novawildcat said:
I took the GRE just in case for grad school, and the verbal on the GRE is 1000000000x's harder than the VR for the MCAT. I think I scored a 400 on the verbal on the GRE (out of 800). Thank god the MCAT doesn't have those stupid analogies or passages where you have to fill in the blanks with words you would never see unless you opened up a 27 volume bound edition of webster's dictionary.

It just depends on what youre good at..I think the GRE verbal is less a race against time than an actual test of your verbal skills.

i dont feel good about this MCAT because i think that it was a total nightmare .... i hope and pray that I did better then i think I did :oops:

FutureMD07 said:
i dont feel good about this MCAT because i think that it was a total nightmare .... i hope and pray that I did better then i think I did :oops:

True that. And Kikaku21, i'd be happy with a 10-12 on verbal. As for analogies, I think they are rather easy. Those vocab sentence things are stupid, though. As for time, I think the MCAT is much more of a race. I'm looking for a 35, I'd be happy with a 33, but hey, if a 30 is the cutoff, I'll take it.

I'm kind of numb about the whole thing. I'll start bugging out in October..

Kikaku21 said:
HAHAH. Me too. Form EM?

nahh form BG..my problem is that even in all the practice tests i never once completely finished a VR section..always like 1 passage w/ 1 min left lol :(

The whole thing was an utter disaster. And the worst part is that I don't even have an excuse. :(

I don't know what to feel actually.. esp. when someone asks me how would I compare my performance to my last MCAT, I have no idea. Last time, I didn't have as much background knowledge and prolly missed out on a lot of trick questions w/o recognizing the trick. This time, hopefully I did them right..

Really scared, unsure, so unconfident I haven't even submitted my AMCAS yet! :(

I too have heard a lot of the negative feelings concerning the Aug examination and I must say that I felt absolutely wonderful about the exam. Leaving the exam, I had a sense of peace which was unlike any practice exam I'd ever taken. I think it comes from knowing that I worked my hardest and that I must let God do the rest. I understand that everyone on sdn doesn't believe in God, but for those who do, take refuge in the fact that what's meant to be will be. Only time will tell how we all performed, but I for one am not gonna worry because I know that the blessing is already done. Good luck to you all!

I totally agree...I studied 4 months straight! It's do or die now...I feel pretty confident about the exam.

Really scared, unsure, so unconfident I haven't even submitted my AMCAS yet! :(

right there with you

but i'm really trying to get a move on it...just working through my PS and EC's and i'll be done :p (sounds so simple). hoping to send it out by the end of next week.