does anyone feel that their recall sucks as an older student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sthpawslugger

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I made it to medical school(thankfully) but am nowhere near as sharp as those who are 10 to 15 years younger than me, and so I'm just an average student, probably sitting somewhere near the middle of the pack. Anyone else here finding their recall of information isn't quite what it was when they were in their 20's? Or am I just getting early-onset dementia? lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I made it to medical school(thankfully) but am nowhere near as sharp as those who are 10 to 15 years younger than me, and so I'm just an average student, probably sitting somewhere near the middle of the pack. Anyone else here finding their recall of information isn't quite what it was when they were in their 20's? Or am I just getting early-onset dementia? lol.

Not for me, just the opposite really. I've aced literally every class for the past 3 years (> 100% as a final course grade). I did end up with a median MCAT (509) but to be fair, the mcat isn't as much about recall (not to mention I supported 3 households while studying and taking care of my mom and had effectively 3 weeks worth of actual study time). I am consistently the top scorer on every test in classes of 200+, and I attribute that to the fact that my recall is so good (because by being at a big university, most of the test questions are not critical reasoning questions, but rather rote recall).

Could be genetics, but I honestly attribute a lot of it to a low inflammation diet, regular exercise, and adequate sleep (the last being the hardest to ensure). I feel absolutely smarter in my 40's than I ever did in my 20's. My grades are reflexive of the fact that this is more than just a feeling, as my 20 year-olf-self performed well, but was never "top of the class." At this point, the only people who intimidate me are toxicologists, all of which seem to have some next-level nerdiness going on that I haven't quite reached yet, though that is the ultimate goal. :D

Examine your diet and exercise regimen and see if there isn't some improvement you can make. As a non-trad your advantage should be that you can afford to eat organic greens instead of ramen.

Reactions: 5 users
Same here (early 40's). I don't feel like my recall has diminished much at all. I eat healthy meals, try to get exercise, avoid alcohol, etc. and try to get plenty of sleep. Also I've picked up some habits such as studying before bed which seems to cement the information better for me. I don't know that my memory is any better, but my methods certainly are which might offset a natural decline.

Also, try not to study under duress. I find that negatively impacts my recall.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've gotten better the older I've gotten. Things make more sense because I have more knowledge to anchor it to, and I am more curious about the world in general than when I was younger.

Don't believe the p/s hype. I've been kicking butt in my classes among my classmates. I really wonder sometimes what they study and how they study. However, I do go to office hours often which helps me put everything together. That's not something I would do at an early age. So maybe my recall is crappy, but I supplement it with knocking on doors that I never though to back in the day. Embrace your age and experience lol

If I did everything the same way I did it when I was younger, then my recall is definitely worse now. Knowing how to study and willing to put in time makes it easier though and with better grades.

Reactions: 4 users

Yea it was hard the first year to get into a groove that most traditional students kept going straight out of undergrad. Keep at it and it will get better as you find your own study habits again.

Reactions: 1 users
Not in med school but went through a phase in grad school where I thought I'd lost my edge and referred to my brain as teflon cuz nothing stuck.

I was having some health issues. Got that squared away and prioritized sleep, eating quality food, drinking enough water, and some exercise (but didn't go crazy with it) and all of a sudden I was a way better student than I'd ever been.

Yeah, I feel your pain. It feels like I’ve gotta work harder and hit things 2-3 times before it sticks when the younguns get it the first time in lecture. I also find the amount of sleep I need is more, and my performance is more influence by diet and stress than theirs... so, if I eat healthy and get 7+ hours of sleep, all’s well. Forget the little caesars and 2 am study sessions with the whipper snappers though... I’m out! lol

Hang in there, it gets easier to remember the more of it you learn!

I use active recall, where I do brief chunking of information. I don’t study for 15 hours like some people say they do. I have kids and a husband so most of my studying happens from 9:30pm-3am and then I recite notes throughout the day on a particular subject. This helps me retain the information much better!

It’s better to study 2-4hrs daily rather than 10+ hrs on the weekends only. Now, of course on the weekends I may review what i had already been studying and the spend another few hrs covering more material.

Study schedule:
M-F 2-4hrs(keep time of day consistent)
#SA-SU 6-8hrs

hope this helps! Us older folks have to modify our tricks! Lol

Reactions: 5 users
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I've always been fairly healthy and active. I've been eating a healthy diet with the occasional cheat, having cut the carbs down a lot more as of late(not to keto level...that just seems impossible...but average net 75 to 100g/d), get about 6.5 to 7 hrs of sleep, rarely drink more than 2 cups of coffee/day, lift weights 3-4 days/week with a littler cardio, and an hr of jujitsu twice per week.

As far as the books go, I'm just damn bored of the sitting and staring at stuff. My prior career was very kinesthetic, procedural-based(also how the curriculum was taught) and I thrived in that. This environment? Not so much. I don't do these 10 hr+ day study sessions that I hear about or people like to brag about...I can do maybe 2-3 hrs max then another 2-3 hrs later in the day or evening. Anything beyond, it isn't going to stick. If I'm tired, I shut it down no matter where I am in my studies. I feel like I can go insane studying for those few extra points to try to get that B+/A all the time, or I can be relatively sane, keep a B average with an occasional A or C. And, I've realized there's more to life than being a walking textbook, including spending time with my wife.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I've always been fairly healthy and active. I've been eating a healthy diet with the occasional cheat, having cut the carbs down a lot more as of late(not to keto level...that just seems impossible...but average net 75 to 100g/d), get about 6.5 to 7 hrs of sleep, rarely drink more than 2 cups of coffee/day, lift weights 3-4 days/week with a littler cardio, and an hr of jujitsu twice per week.

As far as the books go, I'm just damn bored of the sitting and staring at stuff. My prior career was very kinesthetic, procedural-based(also how the curriculum was taught) and I thrived in that. This environment? Not so much. I don't do these 10 hr+ day study sessions that I hear about or people like to brag about...I can do maybe 2-3 hrs max then another 2-3 hrs later in the day or evening. Anything beyond, it isn't going to stick. If I'm tired, I shut it down no matter where I am in my studies. I feel like I can go insane studying for those few extra points to try to get that B+/A all the time, or I can be relatively sane, keep a B average with an occasional A or C. And, I've realized there's more to life than being a walking textbook, including spending time with my wife.

That might be more of a study method thing than a nontrad thing.
Try to make it more active maybe? I'm a big fan of dry erase boards and while I suck at keeping focus in group study I do ok with one other person quizzing each other and teaching each other after my first time through stuff.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I use active recall, where I do brief chunking of information. I don’t study for 15 hours like some people say they do. I have kids and a husband so most of my studying happens from 9:30pm-3am and then I recite notes throughout the day on a particular subject. This helps me retain the information much better!

It’s better to study 2-4hrs daily rather than 10+ hrs on the weekends only. Now, of course on the weekends I may review what i had already been studying and the spend another few hrs covering more material.

Study schedule:
M-F 2-4hrs(keep time of day consistent)
#SA-SU 6-8hrs

hope this helps! Us older folks have to modify our tricks! Lol

What is SA-SU?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
The key for me is having something to relate knowledge to. Good example- I learned pharm in nursing school and it just didn't "stick" "Zofran or Zosyn?! Damn why are the names so similar!"

Now after practicing for a few years, I like to go back and read my nursing textbooks and I soak it up like a sponge. It just makes sense to me.

It was just a guess since he said M-F

Was thinking the same, just wanted to clarify. I tend to keep google handy when reading some of these threads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if my recall has improved or diminished, but my study habits have improved greatly. So far that seems to make up for any lost room in my memory bank. Which reminds me, time to hit the sack--I have my very first organic chemistry test in the morning.

Reactions: 4 users
i think recall is fine even at advanced middle age.....

where i do think older have problems is this: you need to spend alot of time relearning the stuff (and perhaps learning some new material). so you don't have time for massive number of questions, which i think is how to get a top score. plus i didn't feel that great about diving into questions too close to the exam. didn't want to spook myself but i think that was wrong mindset........

I can’t recommend Lion’s Mane supplements enough for recall. My recall really started declining when I hit 30 especially with taking care of two kids and a household, but after 3 weeks of taking Lion’s Mane I noticed a significant increase in recall and problem solving. It’s a natural nootropic.

I think I'm a bit burned out as well. I'm into my 2nd year and after a horribly taught course, plus covering systems I have zero interest in, I'm questioning why I'm doing this anymore. I enjoyed MSK and cardio, largely because I've worked in both areas. But, I've lost my passion for doing this anymore. There are other things I would like to consider doing(whether or not I could afford to or be successful and earn a good living is another story), but being married, almost 40, and 225k in the hole leaves me not sure what to do next. 15 years ago, I would definitely leave, and work my ass off for a few years to pay off my debt and still have plenty of time to earn a good living and enjoy life. However, I don't have near as much time on my side now.

Last edited:
I think I'm a bit burned out as well. I'm into my 2nd year and after a horribly taught course, plus covering systems I have zero interest in, I'm questioning why I'm doing this anymore. I enjoyed MSK and cardio, largely because I've worked in both areas. But, I've lost my passion for doing this anymore. There are other things I would like to consider doing(whether or not I could afford to or be successful and earn a good living is another story), but being married, almost 40, and 225k in the hole leave a not sure what to do next. 15 years ago, I would definitely leave, and work my ass off for a few years to pay off my debt and still have plenty of time to earn a good living and enjoy life. However, I don't have near as much time on my side now.
Are you an MD? Or student?

I think I'm a bit burned out as well. I'm into my 2nd year and after a horribly taught course, plus covering systems I have zero interest in, I'm questioning why I'm doing this anymore. I enjoyed MSK and cardio, largely because I've worked in both areas. But, I've lost my passion for doing this anymore. There are other things I would like to consider doing(whether or not I could afford to or be successful and earn a good living is another story), but being married, almost 40, and 225k in the hole leaves me not sure what to do next. 15 years ago, I would definitely leave, and work my ass off for a few years to pay off my debt and still have plenty of time to earn a good living and enjoy life. However, I don't have near as much time on my side now.

Maybe you can take a gap year? My friend’s sister did that. Sometimes a good little R&R does the trick. You can do this; just think you are tired; happens to even the best of us. I’m rooting for you!

I get where you're coming from. I'm in the process of finishing my undergrad after having been out of school for 10+ years. I took a course on 'How to study' and it's helped me a ton. I feel like I'm as sharp as I was in high school, but def didn't feel that way when I started.

Sent from my Pixel XL using SDN mobile

I feel exactly like this. I think it is less mental slowing and more chronic sleep deprivation (having young kids). I find it helpful to go through material faster so that I can get more repetition and spend way more time on questions and flashcards (Anki) that practice recall rather than taking forever to read through material like I did in undergrad.

EDIT: The less time you spend in textbooks, the better! Ask peeps ahead of you about high-yield study materials like Anki decks, Sketchy, First Aid, BoardsandBeyond, and Pathoma.
If you are still studying from textbooks, you're going to spend a lot more time studying and retain a lot less!

I've learned that exercising recall as a study practice, even when it's frustrating and hurts the brain, brings the biggest gains in retention! Good luck man. Keep spending time with your wife, no matter what.

-BabyDaddy

Last edited:
Maybe you can take a gap year? My friend’s sister did that. Sometimes a good little R&R does the trick. You can do this; just think you are tired; happens to even the best of us. I’m rooting for you!
I highly discourage taking a year off during medical school unless you do it for research towards getting into a highly competitive field. If you do take a year off, do it after STEP1, so you don't lose all that knowledge and have to re-cover old ground to do well on Step.

Not for me, just the opposite really. I've aced literally every class for the past 3 years (> 100% as a final course grade). I did end up with a median MCAT (509) but to be fair, the mcat isn't as much about recall (not to mention I supported 3 households while studying and taking care of my mom and had effectively 3 weeks worth of actual study time). I am consistently the top scorer on every test in classes of 200+, and I attribute that to the fact that my recall is so good (because by being at a big university, most of the test questions are not critical reasoning questions, but rather rote recall).

Could be genetics, but I honestly attribute a lot of it to a low inflammation diet, regular exercise, and adequate sleep (the last being the hardest to ensure). I feel absolutely smarter in my 40's than I ever did in my 20's. My grades are reflexive of the fact that this is more than just a feeling, as my 20 year-olf-self performed well, but was never "top of the class." At this point, the only people who intimidate me are toxicologists, all of which seem to have some next-level nerdiness going on that I haven't quite reached yet, though that is the ultimate goal. :D

Examine your diet and exercise regimen and see if there isn't some improvement you can make. As a non-trad your advantage should be that you can afford to eat organic greens instead of ramen.
Lol. Wait until after you've studied for Step.

I’m thinking about taking my time before starting prereqs because it gives me time to study it on my own ahead of time and get a jump on it, and allow me to do better in those classes and be able to do ECs during as well. When not in school I make 110k so I wont on’t be hurting for money, plus I would like to get a more solid base on disease pathology and medications before school.

People say med school material isn’t hard material- it’s just like drinking out of a firehose. I say, your typical nurse may not know **** about disease pathology but our textbooks actually go into great depth. For instance I understand the clotting cascade etc and many nurses do not. Although it isn’t nearly as in-depth as medical school, it still would lessen the “flow”. And there are many YouTube videos made for medical students explaining entire disease pathos, differentials, and treatments. A few years of this should help me get a jump so I can be extra competitive in school and score that surgical residency.

Any problems with my plan? I hear people say “nursing doesn’t even get near touching the depth of medical knowledge” but I feel like that’s just what your average “do just what’s necessary” nurse does. And school just barely covers over the “deeper” stuff and gets more to the interventional stuff. BUT that doesn’t mean the textbooks don’t cover it well. I have a half dozen textbooks several inches thick a piece.

Last edited:
I’m thinking about taking my time before starting prereqs because it gives me time to study it on my own ahead of time and get a jump on it, and allow me to do better in those classes and be able to do ECs during as well. When not in school I make 110k so I wont on’t be hurting for money, plus I would like to get a more solid base on disease pathology and medications before school.

People say med school material isn’t hard material- it’s just like drinking out of a firehose. I say, your typical nurse may not know **** about disease pathology but our textbooks actually go into great depth. For instance I understand the clotting cascade etc and many nurses do not. Although it isn’t nearly as in-depth as medical school, it still would lessen the “flow”. And there are many YouTube videos made for medical students explaining entire disease pathos, differentials, and treatments. A few years of this should help me get a jump so I can be extra competitive in school and score that surgical residency.

Any problems with my plan? I hear people say “nursing doesn’t even get near touching the depth of medical knowledge” but I feel like that’s just what your average “do just what’s necessary” nurse does. And school just barely covers over the “deeper” stuff and gets more to the interventional stuff. BUT that doesn’t mean the textbooks don’t cover it well. I have a half dozen textbooks several inches thick a piece.

I think you have a fairly accurate understanding of the depth and volume in Med School, and I agree that much of the material is not conceptually difficult, but some is.

Keep in mind that the people telling you the material isn't terribly hard are all the people who got into med school (the very top of their class in undergrad).

There is some truth to what they say, but the depth can be challenging for all of us at times. Especially the depth to which CV and Pulmonary physiology goes (which is absolutely necessary in medicine) and the depth to which neurophysiology and neuroanatomy goes (which is only necessary if you want to do neuro/neurosurgery lol).
My wife was in nursing school during my first two years of Med school, and the depth that we covered everything was extremely different. One thing I've noticed is that even though she covered a lot of material to a moderate (and at times surprising) depth, the application of that knowledge was limited. For that reason, she doesn't remember a ton of that stuff (because she doesn't use it). She is one of those top-of-her-class people who challenges herself to actually understand and not just get by, and she would tell you that the depth difference is still considerable.
That being said, having at least learned the basics of much of what you will cover in med school will help you out some. Not as much as you might think though.

Typically, what I learned in an entire semester of a specific undergrad class would help for about the first week of the same class in Med School.
This may sound far-fetched, but you can't fully appreciate the volume or depth until you experience it. It is much more than you think is possible/reasonable, but you adjust over time and just get it done. You don't retain it all the first time either, but you cover the same material again and again as you first learn the basic phsysio, then how disease affects that physio, then how treatment corrects that physio, then apply that to actual patients.

Great question RNtoMD87! Keep up the hard work and you'll do fine.

-BabbyDaddy

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I think you have a fairly accurate understanding of the depth and volume in Med School, and I agree that much of the material is not conceptually difficult, but some is.

Keep in mind that the people telling you the material isn't terribly hard are all the people who got into med school (the very top of their class in undergrad).

There is some truth to what they say, but the depth can be challenging for all of us at times. Especially the depth to which CV and Pulmonary physiology goes (which is absolutely necessary in medicine) and the depth to which neurophysiology and neuroanatomy goes (which is only necessary if you want to do neuro/neurosurgery lol).
My wife was in nursing school during my first two years of Med school, and the depth that we covered everything was extremely different. One thing I've noticed is that even though she covered a lot of material to a moderate (and at times surprising) depth, the application of that knowledge was limited. For that reason, she doesn't remember a ton of that stuff (because she doesn't use it). She is one of those top-of-her-class people who challenges herself to actually understand and not just get by, and she would tell you that the depth difference is still considerable.
That being said, having at least learned the basics of much of what you will cover in med school will help you out some. Not as much as you might think though.

Typically, what I learned in an entire semester of a specific undergrad class would help for about the first week of the same class in Med School.
This may sound far-fetched, but you can't fully appreciate the volume or depth until you experience it. It is much more than you think is possible/reasonable, but you adjust over time and just get it done. You don't retain it all the first time either, but you cover the same material again and again as you first learn the basic phsysio, then how disease affects that physio, then how treatment corrects that physio, then apply that to actual patients.

Great question RNtoMD87! Keep up the hard work and you'll do fine.

-BabbyDaddy
I agree. Application is the difference in understanding something or not. Strongly contemplating moving from ICU to ER, and maybe other departments as well. I feel like once I get a general understanding of something, the specifics become easier because it “makes sense”. And that’s what I’m hoping for before med school. Not really learning it all before hand, but having experience so I’ll soak it up like a sponge rather than throwing it at a brick wall.

I agree. Application is the difference in understanding something or not. Strongly contemplating moving from ICU to ER, and maybe other departments as well. I feel like once I get a general understanding of something, the specifics become easier because it “makes sense”. And that’s what I’m hoping for before med school. Not really learning it all before hand, but having experience so I’ll soak it up like a sponge rather than throwing it at a brick wall.
Absolutely. I think so much of the things you've already seen will suddenly make sense when you learn the nuts and bolts in Med School.

That’s what I’m hoping for. My RN gone MD/DO friends tell me that when their nursing experience really helped was MS3

Btw I just started watching Osmosis and Lecturio and they help get into the medical mindset.

This is pretty neat. Never knew this.

16A51060-1CDB-4F0B-8D46-CF31F06BD778.jpeg

Last edited:

ehh, recall is recall. So unless step doesn't involve recall then I don't feel it would be any different. More material yes, but, at least in my case, more time to study that material (although I have seen a study that demonstrated that there was not a correlation with the amount of time spent studying for step and the score itself. That same study also found no correlation between age and score).

ehh, recall is recall. So unless step doesn't involve recall then I don't feel it would be any different. More material yes, but, at least in my case, more time to study that material (although I have seen a study that demonstrated that there was not a correlation with the amount of time spent studying for step and the score itself. That same study also found no correlation between age and score).
OP: Having a tough time in Med school. Struggling with recall.
Random Pre-med: I'm awesome.
Person further in med school: Just wait until you are in med school pre-med.
Random Pre-med: Trust me, I'm awesome.

Maybe you won't have any trouble in Med school. Just wait till you are at least in med school to tell people ahead of you how awesome you are.

What you actually replied to OP with that I took issue with:
I bolded for emphasis, but really the whole thing. What I took issue with has nothing to do with anything other than you bragging your ___ off.

"I'm still mad from that thread where you were advocating for veterans to get more educational benefits, so I make some random, off-the-cuff comment about how there is no way you can consider that you are doing well until you have taken step 1.
Nah bro. You're that veteran that constantly throws your vet status out there to attempt to win arguments. Don't get why you are pulling another conversation into this one and again putting words into my mouth. I'm not holding some grudge as you suggest. What I had an issue with is above.

In the end you still have a lot to learn. Just don't know it yet. Every person in Med school was a high performer in college so stop bragging to Med students. You might still perform well in med school and you might not. My point is, that remains to be seen. Don't reply to a Med student's post about struggles by bragging your behind off. If you don't have problems with memory, just say that. Plenty of other people were able to do that without taking the opportunity to talk about how awesome they are.

Good luck. I'm sure your attitude will get you far.

Last edited:
I thought I would have, (34) and out of undergrad about 10 years. At the beginning, perhaps, but it got better the more I studied and the more I got into the school year (neuroplasticity?). But mainly study techniques, those are definitely better than my undergrad....so overall, the answer is 'No', definitely no decline in recall, if not, it's better. There is also no empirical evidence to suggest a decline in memory, not matter where you look. I know a 60 year old who past their step 1 and 2, so kind of proof right?

That might be more of a study method thing than a nontrad thing.
Try to make it more active maybe? I'm a big fan of dry erase boards and while I suck at keeping focus in group study I do ok with one other person quizzing each other and teaching each other after my first time through stuff.
Oh yeah! These worked great in my AVID classes for tutoring Math. The kids loved them and it keeps you engaged. You can see clearly how you are processing the information. Great idea! Thinking about buying a big one and hanging it in my bedroom/study lair(there’s no tv there or other bedroom, so family never comes upstairs unless for sleep).

Sthpawslugger, there is no way your recall worsened for the simple fact that you are older than other students. If you want to have a better memory, then work your brain out. It is as simple as that. Check this article and try following the directions its author provides you with:
Good luck!

I worried about my recall being diminished after the first couple anatomy exams. Then I asked around and realized that the other students were dedicating significantly more study time to the material. On one hand, it is nice to know I'm not comparatively broken. On the other, it's been hard to watch that dream of treating medical school like a 9-5 die a slow, cold death. For reference, I made all As in my postbac while working two part-time jobs, doing unpaid research and jumping through all the other premed hoops.

My recall has actually improved. I was in a very difficult place during my early 20's both emotionally and financially. Personally, I think it has a lot to do with security.

(Different things in your post addressed)

Just make sure you don't get too restricted. Facts are facts and the main "currency" of the brain is glucose. Medical school is not the time to do too much, I felt. No fad diets, excessive exercise, etc w/ the main goal is taking care of your brain. No brain = no med school success. That is without saying not to turn into a big lump of fat. Exercise does improve memory...but it's not really the time to be looking to be ripped and in your prime physical form.

Your recall should not have worsened with age. But you DO have to put in the work. THIS won't work! Especially with memory and recall. So your goal is to get your "tolerance" up. Medical school is just the beginning of the road. The Step exams make MCAT look like a grade school exam. You need stamina, particularly the older you are. This "shut down" is unacceptable. And trust me, I was the same way; like a finite attention span. But you will not do well w/ 2-3 hours max. Work in = results out. No shortcuts w/o being an absolute genius.

Your "JOB" as a medical student is studying. If you can't put in a 6-8 hour day, expect your results. Don't ever equate your work as a pre med as a medical student. Cake walks. It gets worse. One mistake made, I see, all along this particular forum is that people assume because they are a good pre med they are a good medical student, which is not completely true. Pre med is a gateway, a foundation to build upon. Yes, a bad pre med will make an even worse medical student. A bad medical student usually makes a poor resident.

Making your JOB studying, which so many of us non-trads have experience with in our other careers, is one reason medical schools pick us - WORK ETHIC.

The one thing I DO like is THAT. Stay sane, but again, know that your JOB is studying. For me, I used Sunday as what I considered a "cheat day". I did 50-65% less...for my sanity. Maybe 3 hours, but more recreational. So saying you can devote most of Sunday to your wife will help.