Does anyone get CVS breaks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
All that being said one might give CVS some credit for getting rid of some the "bad apples" in the pharmacy. And that includes pharmacists. The reality is about %30 of pharmacists, see checking as a liability and will try to evade it, by doing faxes...refills ... typing..DURs... etc
And that is also true for techs who avoid filling and wanna do ancillary work
It's good to have a system that holds people accountable... as long as it is legal.
Yet I truly believe that CVS will loose it's competitive advantage in California. As California laws allow lunches and breaks...so they need to adjust for that in their performance software... For example if I take an 1 hour lunch and the pending is at 10 and I come back and pending is 60 and i am in red , how is that fair? Why is my performance measured when I am at lunch?!!! :mad:California is not the east coast and they will get sued again and again

Members don't see this ad.

All that being said one might give CVS some credit for getting rid of some the "bad apples" in the pharmacy. And that includes pharmacists. The reality is about %30 of pharmacists, see checking as a liability and will try to evade it, by doing faxes...refills ... typing..DURs... etc

Um...please explain what you mean by this? Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe you really can't get away with "evading checking" in the CVS system unless you mean that the "bad apple" RPh just scans the rx through during final verification w/o looking at it at all. That's just stupid on the RPh's part. How does CVS get rid of the "bad apples"? In my experience, corporate doesn't do a freakin' thing unless there is documented evidence that said RPh either flagrantly disobeyed corporate policy or broke the law.

Where did you get 30% from?

he's an idiot

if an RPh isn't verifying scripts, the entire pharmacy just grinds to a halt. Literally.

Members don't see this ad :)
I M FINALLY OUT!!I left after a little bit more than 2 years at CVS.
I got sick of the no breaks,overworked and no help.
I cant say that every CVS is like that ,but I know most of our district is like that.
I worked 14 hours day shifts with no breaks ,yes ,no body says do not take a break,but try to sit and eat a bite and your techs start saying "it will be 20 min or so"
and you can hear customers complaining, and godforbid if anyone got a glimpse of you walking with food in your hand trying to get acrosse to eat it in a corner or in a break room(we are lucky to at least have one,because most of the stores use as an extra storage),and you can say it is violations but boooo hoooooo,I left and my manager also left and my lead tech,thing are getting bad in MICHIGAN an specially at CVS.
NEW RPH when you see the CVS sign !!!!!!!RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!!

Oh - I just heard - some select CA Walgreens pharmacies in poorly staffed areas offer a $45K sign on - how crazy is that?? What do you expect your staffing will be in the future if it takes this much just to get a pharmacist?

That is exactly why I did NOT take a sign-on $ for my job, I didn't want to get stuck at a crappy store/area/company:smuggrin: :luck:

I had no idea CVS holds a gun to everyone's head and says "You can't have breaks, now get back to work!" If you don't like it, do something about it or quit crying about it. Everyone makes choices in life.
Most of my techs do not take 15 minute breaks because of staffing issue and they feel bad leaving me there without enough help, but I do make sure they take their 30 minute lunches, they need to eat. Love them :love: :luck:

haha i actually timed myself today, worked a nine hour shift and two techs called in and so it was me and a pharmacist for 6 hours until we could get some relief in. I typed and filled 1 prescription in 50 seconds, barring insurance issues, and any refills it took me 30 seconds to print and fill. I got there at 9am and filled about 290 scripts by 2pm when we finally had more techs arrive after we called district and sent up the White SOS flag.

Got no break today, and at one point i stepped out of the "cage" as the fron store calls it to get a bottle of water and I was chastised by a few customers in the waiting area for taking a "break" while they were waiting.

so much for the 1 minute breaks lol

Most of my techs do not take 15 minute breaks because of staffing issue and they feel bad leaving me there without enough help, but I do make sure they take their 30 minute lunches, they need to eat. Love them :love: :luck:

Haha...my last manager would yell at us to take breaks. Even if there was a line, we'd quote longer waits and that was it. Sometimes, you need a pharmacist with a backbone to direct the mayhem and force people off the line. She was a hardass, but I loved her for it. If this doesn't happen, someone who really wants a break won't take it because no one else is asking for one and when they finally do, they'll feel embarassed. Better to just give everyone their time and make it known.

People will complain when it's 15 minutes...might as well take your legally mandated break in the process, they're going to complain regardless.

As for getting the evil eye...go sit in your car for 10 minutes and turn on the radio after you grab a drink/snack.

So there are a few typos so what ? I was typing fast.
By the way, I don't think that you are a pharmacy student, at least not a smart one. CVS will channel all that anger and frustration that you have into long hours of work! So, if you think you have what it takes to work 12 to 14 hour shifts while starving , go "get you some"!!:laugh: I am sure, they'd love to have you! because you will never see the big picture. There will be lots prescriptions with typos that you could fix while working thru your lunches and breaks.
icon10.gif

:nod: I am starving at work too, good thing I refuse to work the 12 & 14 hour shifts now, and :nod: there were typos to fix at work the other day. Well, it's not an everyday thing for us, but it was so bad the other day, I fixed 7 scripts (either strength, direction, or quantity was wrong) :laugh: :biglove: :luck:

For the hospital pharmacy staff here, do you guys get free food/drinks or do you have to pay like in retail? I was actually surprised during my training section when the district manager told us you can't just walk down to the fridge and open up a bottle of coke.

I was actually surprised during my training section when the district manager told us you can't just walk down to the fridge and open up a bottle of coke.

I sure hope you are joking. I didn't know you were expecting free soda as a condition of your employment. Where I come from, that is stealing. Just in case you think it's an insignificant sum, let's say just one person in each of the 7,000 stores tool one bottle of Coke per day. Do you realize that would be over 4.3 million dollars per year? One more thing, do they teach ethics at your school?

I sure hope you are joking. I didn't know you were expecting free soda as a condition of your employment. Where I come from, that is stealing. Just in case you think it's an insignificant sum, let's say just one person in each of the 7,000 stores tool one bottle of Coke per day. Do you realize that would be over 4.3 million dollars per year? One more thing, do they teach ethics at your school?

Not joking at all. Prior to my job at CVS, I had a job where we were allowed to help ourselves.

Yeah pulling stuff off shelves = an accounting disaster waiting to happen

I was weirded out working at a place that let me do that...I can understand, say, a soda fountain vs. a bottle. But I felt strange pulling from the shelf and drinking in the back.

Now, if your RPh is also the owner...different story, then that's a gift from them to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the hospital pharmacy staff here, do you guys get free food/drinks or do you have to pay like in retail? I was actually surprised during my training section when the district manager told us you can't just walk down to the fridge and open up a bottle of coke.

Absolutely not. Most hospitals employ thousands of people, for each one of them to get free food and drink would be a financial disaster.

I can't imagine anywhere (other than a deli, maybe) that would allow employees to take things off the shelf at no charge. Discounts are another story, but completely free is absurd.

I giggle every time I get a new court document regarding one of the six ongoing legal battles with CVS/Sav-on/Albertsons dealing with no breaks or lunches. I'm in line to get a settlement soon with one of the lawsuits, Flores I believe. Should be a nice payday.

CVS ****ing sucks.

For technicians and PSAs:
http://cvs.stingyboss.com/index.html

Enjoy.

I giggle every time I get a new court document regarding one of the six ongoing legal battles with CVS/Sav-on/Albertsons dealing with no breaks or lunches. I'm in line to get a settlement soon with one of the lawsuits, Flores I believe. Should be a nice payday.

CVS ****ing sucks.

For technicians and PSAs:
http://cvs.stingyboss.com/index.html

Enjoy.

haha... i got about $200 over 2 or 3 settlements last year from previous employers. I think there's another pending one...it's probably the Flores case too.

Now I have entirely too much paperwork to keep track of in filing my taxes since they withheld federal taxes on each of the checks (all for unpaid breaks). Buh.

And that is also true for techs who avoid filling and wanna do ancillary work
It's good to have a system that holds people accountable... as long as it is legal.
Yet I truly believe that CVS will loose it's competitive advantage in California. As California laws allow lunches and breaks...so they need to adjust for that in their performance software... For example if I take an 1 hour lunch and the pending is at 10 and I come back and pending is 60 and i am in red , how is that fair? Why is my performance measured when I am at lunch?!!! :mad:California is not the east coast and they will get sued again and again

In addition to CVS take over of Savon pharmacy in the west coast, the following is a link highlighting lawsuits against CVS in California:

http://cvs.stingyboss.com/cvssuits.html

p.s. sorry, didn't see that someone already posted the same link.

Last edited:
Yesterday was a day out of hell. Here's the whole story:

My boss's partner took a month vacation to go to India. She's getting married there, so CVS decided to send in a floater.

However, they decided to send in a floater who recently had a baby and has to pump every 3 hours or so. So yeah, when the floater has to pump, everything turns into hell. Corporate has already cut our hours so its just me, the pharmacist, and another tech who right now is only good for counting and pickup.

She decides its time to pump and now me and the other guy are stuck because nothing is getting done. The line has grown to like 7 people and the phones are ringing non stop.

On Thursday, there was an error and we gave the patient 20 percocet instead of the 30 they were prescribed (tech interpreted it as 20 when it was clearly 30). The error was corrected on Friday and my boss told the patient to come in on Saturday for the rest of the pills. They come in while the floater is pumping and she refuses to let me get into the safe to pick the already labeled and ready bottle to give to the patient.

I call up the pharmacist in charge and tell him what is going on, he talks to the patient on the phone, and tells me to open up the safe and give it to the patient.

Earlier, she told a patient to wait 15 minutes and the patient come back in 30 minutes and she hasn't verified it yet.

Also, she talked on the phone all day long and went into a nervous breakdown when her babysitter quit on her. Babysitter quit because the floater put a block on the TV at home so that the babysitter can't watch TV.

So yeah, 3 hours later its dead so I decide that this is when I should take my break. She gets all apprenhensive about it, I call the manager from the front and he lets me take the break. (It was going to be a 1 hour break because I didn't get to take any of my 15 minutes paid breaks.) I dont understand where the **** she gets off telling me I can't take my break when she talks on the phone all day long. What the hell, she was putting patients on hold for 3-5 minutes because she thought her conversation was more important

DAMN! I cannot wait until my boss's partner comes back.

I never got breaks when I worked at CVS. Only the mandatory unpaid lunch thing.
Do any Target techs get breaks? I have been helping out on the salesfloor some (they are shorthanded) for extra hours and they are wonderful about giving 15 minute breaks--1 for a 4-7 hour shift and 2 for a 8 hour shift--plus the 30 minute lunch (unpaid) but the smaller breaks are paid time. Yet in the pharmacy...no breaks! And the pharmacist complains that we aren't efficient enough allll the time (we work our butts off!) but doesn't ever thank us for giving up our breaks (well not really giving up...they are never offered!)

At my hospital we have free coffee in the caf. It's nice to have a cafeteria on site; it's still cafeteria food, but it's cheaper than getting a sandwich across the street. The gift shop has jacked the price of candy up twice since I started from 50 cents to 65 cents to 75 cents! :eek: About once a month we have some little "morale" celebration thing and we get ice cream bars, or hot chocolate, or cake.. So, once in a while we get a free snack, but every-day food and drink still must be paid for.

CVS is famous for horrible treatment of their employees that's why most people I know, including me, left that place already. I mean I'm only one person, how am I supposed to do drive up, pick-up, count pills, and answer the phone at the same time??? When we don't answer the annoying phone from people calling in about God knows what reasons, one woman called in to ask if CVS carries this particular vaporizer, the pharmacy manager starts shouting at us. So when I did answer, I had to stop my counting in the middle of a 120 pills prescription (the counting machine is broken so we have to manually count to avoid complaints) and go out to the aisle, find, the thing and come back to tell her that we unfortunately don't carry it. Then, she had the nerve to have an attitude with me, I just said bad connection and hung up. I'm so used to this nonstop phone answering that I answer my home/cell phone with "Hi this is CVS pharmacy, how can I help u?" Oh yeah, no break whatsoever unless you're brave enough to ask the stressed out managing pharmacists for a break while the baskets just pile up and the customers start swarming at pick up.

Nobody said stop checking. You brainless critical stud. But rather diversion from pharmacist specific tasks (when there is overlap of pharmacists), or excessive time spend in checking (of each script) which leads to loss of business and ultimately drives down the pharmacy script count to a level where the pharmacist can then handle.

15 years of practice, throughout several states as an intern, staff, manager and float rph...worked for most retail drugstores. Pharmacy practice has no secrets for me. I am not talking drugs i am saying practice of pharmacy (don't pretend that i know every drugs;)) or have answers for every thing like that imbecile "cauliflower"
sorry to break it to you.

icon4.gif

As a pharmacist working at CVS there are many complications due to the absence of training for all employees, management included.

CVS took over Eckards and many other businesses in the last 5 years.
For CVS to buy out these businesses and stay financially sound it must produce "cash" so it can continue to show profits and keep it's investors happy.

HOW do they do that? It's called attrition, they get rid of lots pf older tenured workers and some newer ones that were on 8 hour shifts and go to 12 & 16 hour shifts.

:mad: This makes it possible to have 1 less worker per day.

NOW multiply that by 5000 stores and it's huge!
icon4.gif

Also CVS reduced the amount of pharmacist and added more pharmacy technicans.
In some places CVS has eliminated 2 pharmacist per shift, causing a big savings per store.

But what they saved they do not share with workers.
They send it up to the CEO and VP's and take it as stock options and bonuses.

If you are graduating as a pharmacist and looking to work at CVS, you will be in for a shock of your life.:eek:

Although you have a diploma for pharmacology, you will not have one in "personel and leadership" management skills.
You will work in enviroments that are understaffed, without extra reserve workers, you will find toxic workers, and dysfunctional employees.

CVS leads you to believe it is preparing you for success, but the very basic design of the pharmacy dept. will never allow you to succeed and ever build long tenure.
The company plan is doomed to fail and harm your health and cause great mental anguish.:confused:

I saw one store where we lost 40 pharmacistin 5 years after CVS took over. CVS designed their idea of achieving GOLD MEDAL goals and sales for its workers, but never supplied it with Gold Medal employees that could do Gold Medal work 12 to 16 hrs per day. Some could not even last 8 hrs..

A CVS designed pharmacy dept. is a "very hostile" work climate which is very fast paced, and expectations of the company that are not met gets you "written up" and a disciplinary action.:mad:
Thats the scam with CVS, they know a pharmacist and the employees cannot always deliver Gold Medal so you keep getting disciplined and verbal warnings till it builds in your employment file and eventually it will be used against you to fire you.

It is a NO WIN enviroment.
When the dept is understaffed intentionally or if someone is out sick it is a horrific emotional disaster, nerves are on edge, everyone is yelling orders, employees are becoming frayed, customers are upset, and you have had no lunch, no breaks, and your bladder and colon are about to explode but no one can leave and abandon the pharmacy.

icon4.gif
It is against the law in most states to leave the pharmacy unattended, a licensed pharmacist must be there.

Lots of problems are with the first 4 levels of CVS management, they are "money bonus driven" and they are all clicked together, they cover for each other and they will harrass, intimidate, and bully people to get results or find ways to get rid of you.

ASK if you go to a CVS, "what is the turnover of employees in the last 5 years"?
A high turnover indicates that management are bullies.
People either cannot take it and are fatigued into quitting or something is brought up and you are fired.
Usually it's the fatigue from the hostile climate, dysfunctional employees, and all the intimidation and bullying from supervisors.

When you get a diploma, "you are a pharmacist", as a pharmacist you are not trained to manage the pharmacy, control workers, develop assignments, discipline and correct workers, and keep hysteria under control, but that is what CVS expects from you when they hire you.

So they want you to be Gold Medal and get Gold Medal results from employees that work with a "playground mentality" and thus hostility is the norm of the day.

CVS is designed to not allow you to be successful, it hires employees that are uncooperative, defiant, and belligerent.

CVS management lacks truly professional skills at personel managing, and they all lack, kindness and rarely show supportive attention to workers.

If you have health problems, do not owrk at CVS.
If you work there you will get sick.

IF you work at CVS keep a log and record of al activities and events in a palm pilot or notepad.

CVS has been the subject of many wrongful termination suits, whistelblower suits and violations of EEOC laws.

Keep records
icon14.gif
that is important, so when you file a complaint, records, names, dates and explanations will help you win huge judgments against CVS.

IF you are at CVS now, check out the EEOC websites, and read about, discrimination, wrongful termination, protected rights, and retaliation so you can learn how to handle yourself and spot the wrongs and abuses and be informed.

Talk to employment type lawyers if you feel their is a wrong, and or contact the EEOC and they will assist and help and give you tips.
icon14.gif

CVS as like many other corporations that do take overs are all cleverly designing the companies in such a way so that it over works it's people, understaffs its departments, has bullies for management, so that the guys at the top reap the huge financial benefits of your toil and hard work.

The CEO of CVS last year took a $12,000,000.00 million dollar stock option cash in just before the market crashes of October 08 as did some VP's also.

Yet CVS workers today are now seeing 60-70% losses in their stocks and CVS retirement packages.
Their investments into CVS are all going down the toilet.

Have A Great Mental Day!
icon14.gif

May 15, 2009

Contact Your EEOC and inform them that CVS by its design creates a hostile work climate and that your ability to succeed is impeded by the very design of the system. YOU HAVE WASTED YEARS OF YOUR LIFE deceived by CVS into thinking they were doing everything to help you but were not. HR will keep departments understaffed and with dysfuntional people. They will ruin you health, your bladder and colon ! File a charge !

Contact Your EEOC and inform them that CVS by its design creates a hostile work climate and that your ability to succeed is impeded by the very design of the system. YOU HAVE WASTED YEARS OF YOUR LIFE deceived by CVS into thinking they were doing everything to help you but were not. HR will keep departments understaffed and with dysfuntional people. They will ruin you health, your bladder and colon ! File a charge !

Omg I had no idea! LOL!!! Welcome to retail!

icon4.gif

As a pharmacist working at CVS there are many complications due to the absence of training for all employees, management included.

CVS took over Eckards and many other businesses in the last 5 years.
For CVS to buy out these businesses and stay financially sound it must produce "cash" so it can continue to show profits and keep it's investors happy.

HOW do they do that? It's called attrition, they get rid of lots pf older tenured workers and some newer ones that were on 8 hour shifts and go to 12 & 16 hour shifts.

:mad: This makes it possible to have 1 less worker per day.

NOW multiply that by 5000 stores and it's huge!
icon4.gif

Also CVS reduced the amount of pharmacist and added more pharmacy technicans.
In some places CVS has eliminated 2 pharmacist per shift, causing a big savings per store.

Wow CVSHOStile, super genius.....

Why do you think CVS was able to by Eckerds? Because they were run so inefficiently they they were just about out of business. Three pharmacists during a 14 hour day? For how many prescriptions per week?

Do you really think in any retail setting there is a great pay disparity based on seniority? It does not exist. In fact, super genius, the shortage in recent years has driven up the pay of older more experienced pharmacists....

icon4.gif

I saw one store where we lost 40 pharmacistin 5 years after CVS took over. CVS designed their idea of achieving GOLD MEDAL goals and sales for its workers, but never supplied it with Gold Medal employees that could do Gold Medal work 12 to 16 hrs per day. Some could not even last 8 hrs..
40 pharmacists in one store? To fill how many prescriptions?
You better have some real evidence to back up your claims. Otherwise your are a disgruntled employee...

Wow CVSHOStile, super genius.....

Why do you think CVS was able to by Eckerds? Because they were run so inefficiently they they were just about out of business. Three pharmacists during a 14 hour day? For how many prescriptions per week?

Do you really think in any retail setting there is a great pay disparity based on seniority? It does not exist. In fact, super genius, the shortage in recent years has driven up the pay of older more experienced pharmacists....

40 pharmacists in one store? To fill how many prescriptions?
You better have some real evidence to back up your claims. Otherwise your are a disgruntled employee...

Old timer get some new glasses!

WOW!!! YOU have MISQUOTED me and embellished your opinion not upon fact !!!

And I never said anything about pay disparity!
I illustrated the CVS abuses that go on EVERYDAY.

LOOK at the BLOGS!!!! they identify the maltreatment and abuses that are happening in CVS stores across America,, Old Timer,,, wake up man!

Your glasses are not helping you see the FACTS !!

Jack Eckard died at 91, and was intensely loved by his employees! Eckard knew his time was close, so he sold the company! CVS is despised by its employees,,,

WAKE UP old timer LOOK at the Blogs!

CVS paid a $36,700,000.00 fine for defrauding and cheating Medicaid!
What a shame,,, the employees bonuses are less because CVS officials are involved in criminal acts that reduce the profits you worked hard for!

It was quoted last week from a politican:
"the truth is not a defense to win a argument",,,, Is that your position Old Timer?

ECKARDS here had employees that had 10, 12, 15, 18, and 22 years with the company!!!,,, and now since CVS has come in,,, they are ALL gone,, fired by design, or attritioned out by design or FATIGUED by design to quit from all the bullying and harrassment they received from supervisors motivated by GREED and Bonuses for themselves !!!

YEP,,, the truth is a defense to illustrate evil!

May 15 2009
Note read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Eckerd

Last edited:
Um...please explain what you mean by this? Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe you really can't get away with "evading checking" in the CVS system unless you mean that the "bad apple" RPh just scans the rx through during final verification w/o looking at it at all. That's just stupid on the RPh's part. How does CVS get rid of the "bad apples"? In my experience, corporate doesn't do a freakin' thing unless there is documented evidence that said RPh either flagrantly disobeyed corporate policy or broke the law.

-----------------------------------------------

WHAT is your definition of a "bad apple" ?
That is an obscure and nebulous term.

If the pharmacist broke the Law then that is one issue,,,
but before firing EVERY employee according to CVS own policy and rules and Code of Conduct must be informed of the charge, be written up properly and the CVS Legal Dept. must be contacted BEFORE releasing to verify they are following all laws and will not face retaliation and or discrimination suit.

TRULY if you could bring back many CVS employees into a EEOC investigation you would find that most firings and quittings were the results of "wrongful treatment" by supervisors, and supervisors that evaded to follow CVS's own policies in "Coaching and Counseling" sessions it conducts!

WARNING !!!! never sign a "coaching and counseling form",,, never!,,, it is not required by law !

ONCE you sign it, YOU are agreeing and admitting to GUILT of any description that is implied in the form.

AND always be sure they GIVE you a COPY of the form before you leave,,,

THAT is CVS & HR policy .

In fact according to HR,,, your supervisor is suppose to give YOU 2 verbal warnings before writing up anything and you are to receive NOTICE in writing of an impending Coaching and Counseling session and what the charge is BEFORE going into a discussion.

YOU have the Company legal right to PREPARE yourself for any coaching and counseling session. You can ask for witnesses to be present!

AND all your comments, and rebuttle of the charges against you are supposed to be entered and written on the form so it is evidence of your disagreement if you have one about the incident.

MOST supervisors EVADE following policy and laws and just slam you with a Charge and COMPEL you to sign it which releases them. WHY ???

Because your signature MAKES YOU GUILTY ! Don't sign any agreement forms !!!

NOTE: even if there is some parts of a coaching and counseling charge that is TRUE, You still have a right to a defense about it and YOU DO NOT HAVE TO SIGN THE FORM,,,,,,, !!!!!!!

IF you are fired or maltreated for not signing the form then that is "retaliation" and is illegal.

THE Board of Pharmacy in most states is the fully LEGAL entity that DETERMINES and licensed the pharmacist and thus the pharmacist MUST follow the laws and CVS nor none of the supervisors can ask or compel you to break any laws.
THE pharmacist on duty or PIC is the LEGAL CONTROLLER of keeping all medications secure and all prescriptions 100% accurate while on duty.

IT IS ILLEGAL for "any employee" to argue and go against the "pharmacist on duty" instructions and operation that would compromise security and / or create hysteria in the pharmacy in may states.

THE pharmacist is duty and legally bound to "observe" for any and all "red flags" which "he or she" concludes from a sound professional reason, for not filling a prescription or if an employee is a hinderance to the operation of the pharmacy.
THE Pharmacist can "report" this directly to the Pharmacy Board and should not fear any reprisals or retaliations.

CVS supervisors rarely support their pharmacist legal responsibilities.

ITS the "pharmacist that has the license, CVS is using!

CVS trainers are to train employees of their proper duties and instruct them that when working in the pharmacy they "legally bound" to "obey" the pharmacist on duty or the Pharmacist In Charge without arguments or diruptions of any kind.

Even CVS supervisors are not to usurp the State Laws and compel, intimidate, or demand any pharmacist to do what is ILLEGAL or reduces the security of the medicines when on duty.

No CVS Supervisors are to circumvent or convolute any laws or company policy simply for the convience of the customer or company profits either and attempt to fire a pharmacist for not doing so.

Be alert where you work!
CHECK OUT YOUR LOCAL EEOC REGULATIONS IN YOUR STATE !

Last edited:
CVSHOSTILE:

Your posts are nonsensical. Your handle/screen name says it all. You have had a bad experience with CVS and you choose to vent your frustration in public forums. Please file your lawsuit or EEOC complaint, win your case and get your money and be happy.

The things you say and the way you say them are really bizarre. You can like CVS or not like CVS. Reading your posts is as enlightening as listening to Revolution Number Nine without being intoxicated

-----------------------------------------------

WHAT is your definition of a "bad apple" ?
That is an obscure and nebulous term.

If the pharmacist broke the Law then that is one issue,,,
but before firing EVERY employee according to CVS own policy and rules and Code of Conduct must be informed of the charge, be written up properly and the CVS Legal Dept. must be contacted BEFORE releasing to verify they are following all laws and will not face retaliation and or discrimination suit.

TRULY if you could bring back many CVS employees into a EEOC investigation you would find that most firings and quittings were the results of "wrongful treatment" by supervisors, and supervisors that evaded to follow CVS's own policies in "Coaching and Counseling" sessions it conducts!

WARNING !!!! never sign a "coaching and counseling form",,, never!,,, it is not required by law !

ONCE you sign it, YOU are agreeing and admitting to GUILT of any description that is implied in the form.

AND always be sure they GIVE you a COPY of the form before you leave,,, THAT is CVS & HR policy .

In fact according to HR,,, your supervisor is suppose to give YOU 2 verbal warnings before writing up anything and you are to receive NOTICE in writing of an impending Coaching and Counseling session and what the charge is BEFORE going into a discussion.

YOU have the Company legal right to PREPARE yourself for any coaching and counseling session.
AND all your comments, and rebuttle of the charges against you are supposed to be entered and written on the form so it is evidence of your disagreement if you have one about the incident.

MOST supervisors EVADE following policy and laws and just slam you with a Charge and ask COMPEL you to sign it which releases them. WHY ???

Because your signature MAKES YOU GUILTY !

NOTE: even if there is some parts of a coaching and counseling charge that is TRUE, You still have a right to a defense about it and YOU DO NOT HAVE TO SIGN THE FORM,,,,,,, !!!!!!!

IF you are fired or maltreated for not signing the form then that is "retaliation" and is illegal.

THE Board of Pharmacy in most states is the fully LEGAL entity that DETERMINES and licensed the pharmacist and thus the pharmacist MUST follow the laws and CVS nor none of the supervisors can ask or compel you to break any laws.
THE pharmacist on duty or PIC is the LEGAL CONTROLLER of keeping all medications secure and all prescriptions 100% accurate while on duty.

IT IS ILLEGAL for any employee to argue and go against the "pharmacist on duty" that would compromise security and / or create hysteria in the pharmacy in may states.

CVS supervisors rarely support their pharmacist legal responsibilities.

ITS the "pharmacist that has the license, not CVS!

Be alert where you work!

CVSHOSTILE:

Your posts are nonsensical. Your handle/screen name says it all. You have had a bad experience with CVS and you choose to vent your frustration in public forums. Please file your lawsuit or EEOC complaint, win your case and get your money and be happy.

The things you say and the way you say them are really bizarre. You can like CVS or not like CVS. Reading your posts is as enlightening as listening to Revolution Number Nine without being intoxicated

He is like the Anti-Old Timer. He sounds as ridiculous as you do only in the opposite direction.

Oh and to clear the air CVSHOSTILE is not me. The last time I tried to make a bogus screen name to irritate Old Timer I got banned for 2 days.

Today I started training a new floater pharmacist who just quit CVS. Oh the stories he told me and it was only his first day. CVS is the worst retail pharmacy you can work at. I feel sorry for all of you who work for them.

CVSHOSTILE:

Dear Mr Old Timer,,,

There are MANY post on this site that illustrate and show the harsh mistreatment CVS is giving to people all over America in every state.

CVS is designed so you cannot succed as you think you can.

As to my evidence and facts I have 5 years+ of BAD EXPERIENCES with CVS and documented the BAD EXPERIENCES in multiple CVS stores thru and with multiple CVS supervisors and the HR.

I alert people here at this BLOG and warn people of the CVS persistent bad experiences that are still evident and on going.

Is it wrong to know what is good and not do it?

You have attacked me personally and my intelligence but you have not once said I was incorrect to any of my descriptions or explanations of what is going on in CVS.

You instead simply do not want me to enjoy free and civil speech which may help or prevent someone else from harm by CVS.

What a shame that is, when someone does not want others to know the truth.

Even once when I called the CVS "ethics line" and reported laws being broken they also were willing to cover it up, and I was told then: "we at CVS don't like to air our dirty laundry in the public ".

WHAT? the laws are being broken and we don't want people to know?
What message does that send !
And I can prove it because I recorded th phone call!

It has become so evident why companies hate "whistleblowers" and why so much retaliation happens!

It appears Old Timer that your reactions are not interested in fact and truth.

When it is all over and I can post the places so you can see the names and places I hope you will find some compassion and sympathy for all of us who have and are facing abusive employers.

Truth may be smeared for a while but it is still the truth.

Great mental Health to all.

Last edited:
He is like the Anti-Old Timer. He sounds as ridiculous as you do only in the opposite direction.

Oh and to clear the air CVSHOSTILE is not me. The last time I tried to make a bogus screen name to irritate Old Timer I got banned for 2 days.

Today I started training a new floater pharmacist who just quit CVS. Oh the stories he told me and it was only his first day. CVS is the worst retail pharmacy you can work at. I feel sorry for all of you who work for them.

Dear Mountain,

Thank you for your disclosure of the previous CVS employee.

I urge you to invite that former employee to contact the EEOC and discuss the treatment and working conditions endured while at CVS and any and all remarks from their supervisors.

A hostile work climate is primarily produced by an employeer that undertrains, understaffs, and underfunds the operation of the pharmacy.

It is the HR responsibility to maintain a full observation of a departments operation and be sure that every function of the department is staffed properly and everyone is happy and has all the tools and people it needs to perform the GOLD MEDAL results the company desires.

IF HR fails to do this and allows the pharmacy to become hysterical and chaos is the operation and employees cannot do their jobs effectivly then that is the basis for a "hostile work climate".

Usually the HR is relying upon the lower management people to inform them and thats where cover ups happen all the time.

Court cases have shown that CVS has a validated track recorded of hiring "toxic workers" and "dysfunctioal employees" which contribute to the "hostile work climate".

It is difficult to succeed in that type of conditions.
I am sure you will hear many unbelievable stories.

Many corporations not just CVS have been and are operating with the same practices after they take over other businesses which ends up with many people harmed by the new practices of the company that makes success impossible.

May 15, 2009.

Last edited:
Dear Mountain,

Thank you for your disclosure of the previous CVS employee.

I urge you to invite that former employee to contact the EEOC and discuss the treatment and working conditions endured while at CVS and any and all remarks from their supervisors.

A hostile work climate is primarily produced by an employeer that undertrains, understaffs, and underfunds the operation of the pharmacy.

It is the HR responsibility to maintain a full observation of a departments operation and be sure that every function of the department is staffed properly and everyone is happy and has all the tools and people it needs to perform the GOLD MEDAL results the company desires.

IF HR fails to do this and allows the pharmacy to become hysterical and chaos is the operation and employees cannot do their jobs effectivly then that is the basis for a "hostile work climate".

Usually the HR is relying upon the lower management people to inform them and thats where cover ups happen all the time.

Court cases have shown that CVS has a validated track recorded of hiring "toxic workers" and "dysfunctioal employees" which contribute to the "hostile work climate".

It is difficult to succeed in that type of conditions.
I am sure you will hear many unbelievable stories.

Many corporations not just CVS have been and are operating with the same practices after they take over other businesses which ends up with many people harmed by the new practices of the company that makes success impossible.

May 15, 2009.

Are you drunk? Your posts read like a bad suicide note. Just give it a rest. No one cares.

Are you drunk?
Your posts read like a bad suicide note.

WoW! When I showed the EEOC my documents of how I was treated at CVS, The EEOC investigator expressed the same sentiments!

Working at CVS is bad for your health.

What is puzzling is I see pages and pages of QUOTES on this blog service and for the most part everyone seems to tell people to just accept what happens and put up with it because it is part of retail,,,?

Why? Education with information from those that have faced the facts are the best places for advice to avoid being harmed or misled by any employer.

If I knew that a bridge was washed out and turned back to warn people that would be a good thing and prudent minded people would welcome the warning so they could avoid driving off a cliff.

My 5+ years of CVS abuses, evil managements, and damage it has caused to my health are simply my evidences and experiences that might help a few phamacist or techs avoid problems or become smarter and able to defend themselves and report CVS so that either they come into compliance or they are fined and fined and fined till they get the message.

But at CVS they have learned at lot, they know that most of the employees won't report them to any agency so they continue to go on doing the same thing to the next person that replaces you.

CVS could care less if the fine is "millions of dollars", because they make that back in minutes knowing that there are still many more employees that are bringing them in "plenty of cash" so it doesn't matter.

As long as they can keep you silent, CVS wins!

After seeing what CVS had done to many good comorkers, and then they came after me, I stopped being silent, I reached out and now the time is coming when truth and facts will no longer be trampled upon.

The people who wrote the Declaration of Independence seemed like they were writing to the management of CVS and its operations.

Take a few minutes reread the Declaration of Independece and see yourself inside that document.

Ask yourself why are your accepting and tolerating what is wrong?

A new politican for the White House said: "the truth is not a defense to win and argument".

Think about that long and hard and what is your stand on truth.

History reveals that when people are silent, then genocide happens.

Remember CVS management is "bonus driven motivated" and will deprive all the subordinates so as to achieve greater wealth at the expense of your well being and mental health.

Have a Great Healthful Day!
May 16, 2009

Last edited:
Are you drunk?
Your posts read like a bad suicide note.

WoW! When I showed the EEOC my documents of how I was treated at CVS, The EEOC investigator expressed the same sentiments!

Working at CVS is bad for your health.

What is puzzling is I see pages and pages of QUOTES on this blog service and for the most part everyone seems to tell people to just accept what happens and put up with it because it is part of retail,,,?

Why? Education with information from those that have faced the facts are the best places for advice to avoid being harmed or misled by any employer.

If I knew that a bridge was washed out and turned back to warn people that would be a good thing and prudent minded people would welcome the warning so they could avoid driving off a cliff.

My 5+ years of CVS abuses, evil managements, and damage it has caused to my health are simply my evidences and experiences that might help a few phamacist or techs avoid problems or become smarter and able to defend themselves and report CVS so that either they come into compliance or they are fined and fined and fined till they get the message.

But at CVS they have learned at lot, they know that most of the employees won't report them to any agency so they continue to go on doing the same thing to the next person that replaces you.

CVS could care less if the fine is "millions of dollars", because they make that back in minutes knowing that there are still many more employees that are bringing them in "plenty of cash" so it doesn't matter.

As long as they can keep you silent, CVS wins!

After seeing what CVS had done to many good comorkers, and then they came after me, I stopped being silent, I reached out and now the time is coming when truth and facts will no longer be trampled upon.

The people who wrote the Declaration of Independence seemed like they were writing to the management of CVS and its operations.

Take a few minutes reread the Declaration of Independece and see yourself inside that document.

Ask yourself why are your accepting and tolerating what is wrong?

A new politican for the White House said: "the truth is not a defense to win and argument".

Think about that long and hard and what is your stand on truth.

History reveals that when people are silent, then genocide happens.

Remember CVS management is "bonus driven motivated" and will deprive all the subordinates so as to achieve greater wealth at the expense of your well being and mental health.

Have a Great Healthful Day!
May 16, 2009

seriously dude, put some more effort into enjoying your work, and get on with it. RETAIL IS RETAIL. Are you guys surprised or what?? are there people here who have never had a real job in their entire lives?? I dunno about you but i enjoyed my time working retail in high school and college, which is one of the reasons i'm becoming a pharmacist. NEWSFLASH: 70% of pharmacy jobs are in retail. Retail businesses operate on small margins, requiring high productivity and streamlined and efficient cost containment. People who expect to be treated special as retail pharmacists because they're "professionals" need to get their heads out of the sand. You're in for a big shock, as evidenced by the large numbers of retail complainers we see here. Heads up: as a retail employee, you are operating a cash register to move inventory off the shelves. That is your purpose in the company. It just happens to be that as a pharmacist, you're also fulfilling the corporations' regulatory requirements of having a licensed body on premises to verify and check things.

The more pharmacists who are disgusted with retail, the more jobs open for me! Work is what you make of it. Wait... Life is what you make of it ! :idea:

seriously dude, put some more effort into enjoying your work, and get on with it. RETAIL IS RETAIL. Are you guys surprised or what?? are there people here who have never had a real job in their entire lives?? I dunno about you but i enjoyed my time working retail in high school and college, which is one of the reasons i'm becoming a pharmacist. NEWSFLASH: 70% of pharmacy jobs are in retail. Retail businesses operate on small margins, requiring high productivity and streamlined and efficient cost containment. People who expect to be treated special as retail pharmacists because they're "professionals" need to get their heads out of the sand. You're in for a big shock, as evidenced by the large numbers of retail complainers we see here. Heads up: as a retail employee, you are operating a cash register to move inventory off the shelves. That is your purpose in the company. It just happens to be that as a pharmacist, you're also fulfilling the corporations' regulatory requirements of having a licensed body on premises to verify and check things.

The more pharmacists who are disgusted with retail, the more jobs open for me! Work is what you make of it. Wait... Life is what you make of it ! :idea:

Wow, what words of advice from the pharmacy student who has never worked one day as a retail pharmacist. Come back and post your opinions once you have graduated and worked at CVS for a couple of years.

Last edited:
I've floated at chains before, and what I never understood is how one store is adequately staffed (maybe over-staffed to me because I was used to working with less), and other stores are ridiculously understaffed.. same chain, same district.

Store #1 - less volume - 2 interns, 2 techs, 1 pharmacist
Store #2 - more volume - 1 intern/tech, 1 pharmacist

Boggles my mind :confused:

Some CVSs follow the laws better than others. And when pharmacists get burned out that puts the patients at risk too because that is when oversights or errors happen. Though I've heard Walgreens is worse in this regard.

I have worked at 2 different CVS pharmacies. In neither one do people take the 15 minute breaks though in the first one we got the unpaid half hour for lunch. In the second store some people, including myself insist on taking it espeically when I work longer than 8 hours. Both these stores are understaffed, but I get the feeling most CVS stores are understaffed, more so in the pharmacy than the front store. However some people who don't hate the half hour break take short smoke breaks outside, mostly only for a few minutes each time but the total never really adding up to a half hour. I like how in Walmart and Target the pharmacy closes for an hour.

I do agree that many of the chains are terrible, some worse than others. I work for CVS part time but fortunately through a rotation I have seen what pharmacy used to be like and what it can still be like, though in lesser and lesser places.

I will not be very specific because nobody trusts the web anymore so note I also didn't say which CVS stores. But my rotation was at an independent community pharmacy in a city of about 10,000. They have two locations, the one I was at was in the historic downtown area where you honestly feel like you are in a movie set for a small Southern town in the 1950s! The pharmacy actually had a lunch counter in the backThis location did less than 100 prescriptions in a 10 hour period and had twice as many pharmacists and techs as the CVS I work at now. which does at least 3 times the number of prescriptions. We all got half hour breaks and on down times people hopped across the street to get food from other local businesses. THis pharmacy has been there for over 70 years.

They also have a much busier location that does a heavy volume but it is very automated, though they STILL have a LOT of staff compared to CVS so people are never rushing around and actually have a lot of time to their coworkers. CUstomers are never stressed out, everyone is friendly. Above that, most notably, pharmacists actually do work beyond filling drugs. My preceptor and I actually met with the father of a patient and he went over the daughters test results which he recommended she get based on possible drug reactions and spent 10 minutes in a private office disucssing this. This would NEVER happen at ANY of the major chains.

Whats a real shame is that the town is seeing a mass influx of major chains. And while the older customers (the guys you see in cowboy hats and baseball caps having coffee and the ones the pharmacists all know by name) are very loyal, the newcomers in the town as well as the younger generations would rather patronize Walmart, CVS, and Walgreens the same way they would choose Chili's and Applebees over some truly wonderful local restaurants. The single 24 hour pharmacy there is at the Walgreens. Its the independents that truly care about their patients AND their employees, as it is with other businesses like restaurants, stores, etc.

The city I live in now is rare for still having a lot of local cafes, diners and pubs, unlike most metro areas in America today. These places sometimes visibly aren't the strictest on their employees (like you see a bunch of servers sitting down at the bar between waiting on tables, or a bartender having a shot with some friends) but the staff AND customers always seem happier and more satisfied. Whats such a shame about my pharmacy residency in that independent is that what used to be everday life across America in the good ol'days now seems like a movie set or a CMT video and what we get is the sterile commercialization that pervades not just pharmacy but our society as a whole.

When I got hired as an intern, I was told the store I would be working in has 2 pharmacist overlapping. It is open for 122 hours/week and fills about 2400/wk. I've been there for > 3 mos and have only seen 2 pharmacists overlap 2 times and it was because there was a new hire training. The pharmacist is expected to work 14 hours, no down time to catch your breath, no break...not enough time to fill ~460/day, counsel patients, and do the ridiculous BS calls that are expected of the pharmacist and the techs. It is a ridiculous amount of work and I dread going to work. I now understand why I will be the pharmacist who has been there the longest (only been there ~3 mos). My experience with CVS has been hell, but there must be other stores that are better staffed. They need to get rid of the 15 pages of calls to tell people their medicine is ready to be filled and would they like it and keep them on the phone for 1 min. This is the worst job I have ever had, wish I had never gone to school and taken out loans to get a job with no breaks, and huge chance for mistakes because there is not enough time to check for interactions and such. From what I understand, CVS was a great company but has recently started to nose-dive and I think they are headed for a crash and burn if something doesn't change soon. Also, it is a law that we get breaks after certain amount of hours. We are professionals and need to make a stand. A pharmacy can be run without the corporate BS of phone calls, but the corporation can't run the pharmacy without us (pharmacists). Do not let them keep doing this to our techs and to us. I can't believe we are letting them brainwash us about points and making calls and going in the red. Do the job and take care of the patient. Another thing...they are not customers, they are patients. We are an extension of the doctor's visit. I think the DT was the worst thing to ever happen to pharmacy. We are not a fast food restaurant and 15 minutes is not that long to wait. Sorry to vent, but this profession is suppose to be noble and the pharmacist the most trusted professional. Look at us now.....Something has to change. Anyone agree??

HAHA. yea don't tell us how it is if you have not worked a day at CVS or any other high volume retail store. Get ready to be disillusioned. The other day I actually realized how brainwashed I was when the pharmacist said "if you've noticed, I haven't even mentioned lunch" and I thought, "yea, you shouldn't be thinking about food when we have 4 cars in the DT, 12 ppl waiting, and are 2 pages in the red." When I got home I realized how awful that is...she deserves and needs a break in order to be happy, healthy, and not make mistakes.

When I got hired as an intern, I was told the store I would be working in has 2 pharmacist overlapping. It is open for 122 hours/week and fills about 2400/wk. I've been there for > 3 mos and have only seen 2 pharmacists overlap 2 times and it was because there was a new hire training. The pharmacist is expected to work 14 hours, no down time to catch your breath, no break...not enough time to fill ~460/day, counsel patients, and do the ridiculous BS calls that are expected of the pharmacist and the techs. It is a ridiculous amount of work and I dread going to work. I now understand why I will be the pharmacist who has been there the longest (only been there ~3 mos). My experience with CVS has been hell, but there must be other stores that are better staffed. They need to get rid of the 15 pages of calls to tell people their medicine is ready to be filled and would they like it and keep them on the phone for 1 min. This is the worst job I have ever had, wish I had never gone to school and taken out loans to get a job with no breaks, and huge chance for mistakes because there is not enough time to check for interactions and such. From what I understand, CVS was a great company but has recently started to nose-dive and I think they are headed for a crash and burn if something doesn't change soon. Also, it is a law that we get breaks after certain amount of hours. We are professionals and need to make a stand. A pharmacy can be run without the corporate BS of phone calls, but the corporation can't run the pharmacy without us (pharmacists). Do not let them keep doing this to our techs and to us. I can't believe we are letting them brainwash us about points and making calls and going in the red. Do the job and take care of the patient. Another thing...they are not customers, they are patients. We are an extension of the doctor's visit. I think the DT was the worst thing to ever happen to pharmacy. We are not a fast food restaurant and 15 minutes is not that long to wait. Sorry to vent, but this profession is suppose to be noble and the pharmacist the most trusted professional. Look at us now.....Something has to change. Anyone agree??

I'm sure everything you say is true. The store is open 122 hours per week with two pharmacists and that's 17+ hours per day and the pharmacists works more than 60 hours per week. At 14 hours per day that means in your time zone there more than 8 days per week.... sweet....

fantasia.gif

If you work for CVS

1. You will not get paid correctly:
-they will mess up somehow and it is ALWAYS in their favor
-not pay you for vacation
-not applying raises correctly
-they just won't pay you all your hours
-it will take weeks/months and a lot of complaining before it is fixed

2. You will be understaffed
-You need to pretty much do multiple things at the same time.
-I usually make calls/process rx/fix insurance/pull drugs/PA's all at the same time.
-you can't stop doing something........ever.......

3. They will give you a bunch of busy work that slows down the rest of the pharmacy.
-seriously, why do I have to keep the patient on the phone for 1 minute when I already got them to fill the rx in 15 seconds?
-I could do most of the busy work in an hour or less if I didn't have to keep people on the phone for the entire minute.

4. You will not get breaks:
-since you are understaff, and too busy making phone calls that has to last 1 min, there is just no time to stop.
-If you try to take a break, you will come back to a big mess that you just made for yourself.

5. The computer is slow!!!!!!!!!!
-the so call computer upgrade slowed down our pharmacy by at least 50%
-I used to be able to type a rx in about 30 seconds or less. It takes just under a minute now because it is so slow.......
-You will spend a lot time "waiting" for the computer, so have something on the side to work on.
-Learn to use 2 computers thats next to each other. Its the only way to maintain your speed.

Is CVS really as terrible as all of you say? I wouldn't know because I have no experience working for CVS. My only pharmacy experience so far has been working in the retail setting as an intern for a Giant Eagle grocery store this summer (fyi giant eagle has most of its stores in PA and OH). I have great working conditions. For a store that probably averages somewhere in the low 200s for scripts per day, we are usually open from 9-9, have double pharmacist overlap during the middle of the day on the busy weekdays, and are always very well staffed. When I work usually from afternoon to close, we have the pharmacist, at least 2 other pharmacy techs, and sometimes another intern besides me. It is only reduced down to 2 techs or an intern and a tech helping the pharmacist during the last 2 hours. I am always encouraged to take my breaks every day, and the pharmacists will make me take them during down hours if I haven't yet.