Does anyone get CVS breaks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

No1 Pusher

Pre-Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im a new pharmtech at CVS pharmacy with 1 Rph: 2CPht

It's been less than 2 months and I havent gotten any breaks yet.

I usually work 6-9hrs and they still deduct .5hr off my check.

So far I haven't addressed the situation with the Rph yet.

I'm trying to be cool with the everyone at my work so I don't want to complain about not getting breaks but damm..I stand all day for 9hr straight with no food/no rest.

Is it just my store or does this happen everywhere?

Just wondering...

Members don't see this ad.

I'm trying to be cool with the everyone at my work so I don't want to complain about not getting breaks but damm..I stand all day for 9hr straight with no food/no rest.

Just wondering...

It sucks to not get a break, but to be deducted, that's ridiculous! At least get your pay for the time.

I used to come in and work from 2-10. I found out after a year that I wasn't getting paid for my 0.5 hr breaks. I knew we could take them, but most of the time when I should take a break (5 or 6), we were usually pretty busy and by the time the rush is over, it is 7:30. But I have either tried to make peace with it and just sit more during the final 30 minutes of the night or just take my break at the 5-6 rush.

We got a note in our pharmacy from our store manager saying it is illegal not to take your 30 minute break. I can understand they don't want fines for breaking labor laws, but they should have enough help available to relieve you that while you are gone, the workload doesn't stack up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take your breaks and perhaps you could inquire with payroll about the pay aspects. Or, if you're comfortable asking your manager, maybe you should ask him or her how it's done there?

Just wondering...

You need to address this NOW!. Not tomorrow, and not next week. CVS policy is clear and unequivocal. If you work an eight hour shift you are entitled to two paid 15 minute breaks and one 30 minute unpaid break. You are paid based on when you punch in and when you punch out. For the 30 minute break, you punch out. If you decide to not take your break because the store is busy and eat when you get the chance, that is your choice. Not getting paid for working is not just unacceptable, it's illegal. Please do not threaten anybody you speak to.

First speak to your PIC and see if he/she is aware of the situation. The next stop is your front store manager. They are responsible for inputting the payroll information. After each conversation, make contemporaneous notes of the conversation. DO NOT argue. Please keep all of your register punches and pay stubs. If you cannot get satisfaction, call the ethics line. If that does not get satisfaction, you go your local governmental labor relations board and file a complaint.

I really like working for CVS and when people do this it gives the entire company a bad name. This is completely and totally unacceptable. It is unethical, immoral and illegal. You need to put a stop to this at once.

Reactions: 1 users
Standard CVS practice. They will discourage if not out right tell you to not take your breaks and lunch. It’s the same way with pharmacists.

Contact your states Department of Labor and file a wage and hour complaint. Be fully aware that CVS will retaliate agaist you and you will like lose you job or get your hours cut to the bare minimum.

Someone needs to take a stand. As long as no one complains they will contniue to abuse their employees.

Good Luck to you.

15 minute break! hah! the only people that get a 15 minute break are smokers, and they're not well liked....

lunch, if there's enough staff....

Standard CVS practice. They will discourage if not out right tell you to not take your breaks and lunch. It’s the same way with pharmacists.

Contact your states Department of Labor and file a wage and hour complaint. Be fully aware that CVS will retaliate agaist you and you will like lose you job or get your hours cut to the bare minimum.

Someone needs to take a stand. As long as no one complains they will contniue to abuse their employees.

Good Luck to you.

retaliation is illegal according to the EEOC. No employer may retaliate against an employee filing a complaint or lawsuit. CVS does not discourage breaks or lunch, infact it if cvs policy that all hourly employees are entitled to 2 15 min breaks and 1 30 min unpaid lunch break for an 8 hr shift. It is up to the PIC or staff rph to make sure all employees either take a break or take a lunch in the pharmacy. No employee is to work and not get paid for it. There is no law that i am aware that CVS must deduct a 1/2 hour of your pay if no lunch is taken. When you punch out, write "no break" on the punch slip and have your rph sign it and turn it in to your Store manager. They cannot take that 1/2 hour if you did not take a break! Do not let this continue.

Reactions: 1 user

Good Luck to you.

I dont understand this. . . , do you have any examples that it is standard CVS practice? I have never had anyone discourage or tell me outright that I cannot take a break or go to lunch. In fact, a lot of times, i get paid for my 30 minute break. Maybe you were being sarcastic but retaliation??? I have never seen that, and any retaliation against me sounds like a good law suit for me.

Just because it's company policy doesn't necessarily translate into action on the store level. A lot of policies set forth by companies are just there for PR reasons, but when you're "in the trenches" it can be totally different.

I agree with Old Timer...take action NOW. Follow the formal company channels first, then move on up.

I say, treat this like you would a patient that is asking you to break the law with regards to dispensation. This is what I do and what a few pharmacists at work do. You would never allow a patient to jeopardize your license, by that logic, you should never allow anyone to jeopardize your company's legal standing wrt labor laws.

Chronically denyiing breaks and not compensating you correctly is a HUGE violation of the law, most people don't realize this.

I've been working for CVS as a tech for more than 4 years, and my home store did this to us last summer. CVS is pretty greedy with their tech hours and try to use the minimum...its a busy so it makes sense. The front store manager used it as a scare tactic so everyone would take their half hour lunch. As said above, they're not allowed to with hold pay for time that you actually worked. We had to get the pharmacist to initial our time stubs that had..."No lunch" written on them. I always had the night pharmacist initial mine bc he wasn't there during the day.

And corporate wonders why all their employees complain about the company...well, corporate really doesnt care about us unless a customer gets pissed off...then they give a $25 gift card...i wonder if i call up and complain...$25 cha-ching!

I dont understand this. . . , do you have any examples that it is standard CVS practice? I have never had anyone discourage or tell me outright that I cannot take a break or go to lunch. In fact, a lot of times, i get paid for my 30 minute break. Maybe you were being sarcastic but retaliation??? I have never seen that, and any retaliation against me sounds like a good law suit for me.

I did not mean overt retaliation, which would be stupid for any company to do, ask Wal-Mart. I am talking about subvert retailation. A sudden cut in your hours down to the bare minimum or all of a sudden closing shifts or being forced to float in order to get enough hours. Sneeky stuff like that that can't be proven but is done in response to someone who is causing problems. Trust me it happens all the time especially at CVS and Walgreens.

I did not mean overt retaliation, which would be stupid for any company to do, ask Wal-Mart. I am talking about subvert retailation. A sudden cut in your hours down to the bare minimum or all of a sudden closing shifts or being forced to float in order to get enough hours. Sneeky stuff like that that can't be proven but is done in response to someone who is causing problems. Trust me it happens all the time especially at CVS and Walgreens.

Have you ever worked for CVS?
As a pharmacist?
For how long?
How long ago.

I have never seen a pharmacist removed from a store and forced to float in order to get enough hours. You have a base number of hours and if you put in less than your base, you are automatically paid your base number of hours. If this was any form of punishment it would have to be backed up by written documentation. If you have anything other than anecdotal information, I'd like to see it....

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you ever worked for CVS?
As a pharmacist?
For how long?
How long ago.

I have never seen a pharmacist removed from a store and forced to float in order to get enough hours. You have a base number of hours and if you put in less than your base, you are automatically paid your base number of hours. If this was any form of punishment it would have to be backed up by written documentation. If you have anything other than anecdotal information, I'd like to see it....

I was refering to technicians, which is what the OP is.

My brother is a store manager for CVS. I would not work for them for double my current salary.

I worked for Walgreens 3 years ago and would not work for them again for triple me current salary.

As a Canadian, I must ask:

Why would any pharmacist want to work for this company?

Because the company is not really like the way it is portrayed here. There are many people who have rewarding careers working for CVS. For the people who wouldn't work for them for double their present salary, don't worry, we don't want you at CVS.

just curious...how much do they pay the pharm techs at the CVS' where you guys work? I just started a couple weeks ago and I only make 7.50 an hour. That seems pretty low to me especially since I have a college degree (dunno if they take that into consideration, but they should! lol). I asked another tech about getting certified and she said they only give a 50 cent an hour raise if you pass. hmm...

Excellent question!!!!

I don't work for any of the companies in this thread, but if you're allowed breaks & lunches (which every full time US employee is entitled to given some allowances for certain positions....) - why would you not take them?

Goodness - when I work in both my hospital & retail locations, I'll mention about 20 minutes before I'm leaving for lunch ... "I'm taking lunch in 20 minutes - is that a conflict for anyone?". Sometimes it is in a hospital since there are noon meetings which take place. But, in retail, it lets my techs know how much time to tell patients when new rxs arrive & to appropriately put the ones thru to me who are waiting & to set aside the others who will pick up later or things which need ordering, etc... I get a few folks pissed off, but when we explain that all the staff need lunch (& its posted as a CA labor law!), they normally back off. Those who don't are going to be pissed no matter what you do.

I dont keep an eye on my techs. I expect them to be responsible. They know the rules - at least a 30 min lunch no sooner than 3 &1/2 hours nor later than 4 & 1/2 hours into an 8 hour shift. If only working 6 hours, they don't take a lunch, but they are out at 6 hours on the DOT - not one minute longer. This is basic CA labor law & the penalties are clear & severe. Each company listed in this thread has & still does pay very, very large fines for violations in this state. So - why work for a company which has violated a law, pays a fine & still has the same labor policies & still continues to be fined?

Perhaps the recent class action suits will motivate these corporations to adhere to the law.

Curious - would you alter your CII count if they told you to do it? When does one law become more important than another?

Because the company is not really like the way it is portrayed here. There are many people who have rewarding careers working for CVS. For the people who wouldn't work for them for double their present salary, don't worry, we don't want you at CVS.

I work for CVS and I have been floating for the last two months and can tell you that each CVS store is different. Some are over staffed and some are understaffed.
I am starting a new store and have to work 2 14 hour shifts a week and split another day and then every other weekend. I can tell you that 14 hours shifts are awesome if you work at a store that does <150/day and have time to sit down for a while and rest and eat a lunch. However I have worked at understaffed stores(14 hours) where I have had to stand on my feet all day long with out one break in action, and that was barely keeping me caught up(not turn red). I literally had no time to sit down(I went to the bathroom once and drank one diet coke the whole time). I was dead tired when I got home but had to work at 8am, too bad I couldn't sleep because my feet were killing me. In AZ with this gift card promotion ($100 gift card for 4 transferred prescriptions) it has been much busier and there are very few pharmacies that do less than 200 per day. They don't make you work 14 hours but if you want more than 1 or 2 days off a week you pretty much have to. Also having pharmacist overlap is almost unheard of unless you are doing over 2400 per week. And don't even mention automation, I am not aware of one store in AZ that has any. I know one store that does close 3500 per week and they still count everything by hand.
I have never seen a tech take 2 15 minute breaks and 30 min lunch in a 8 hour period. I always see one 30 minute lunch without punchin out and no 15 minute breaks.
With my graduating class CVS has a bad reputation while Walgreens has a good reputation. Which is why probably only 6 people from my class signed with CVS and a lot signed with Walgreens. I don't know exactly why but some of the comments are 8 hour shifts, pharmacist overlap, automation, better computer system, and no gift cards.
So far I haven't completely formulated my opinion of CVS. THere are somethings i like and some I don't(gift cards). I have worked at some awesome stores that I wouldn't mind working at and some really bad stores that would be pure hell. Once I get in a regular store and a regular schedule I should have a better formulated opinion of CVS(the gift card *****).

I work for CVS and I have been floating for the last two months and can tell you that each CVS store is different. Some are over staffed and some are understaffed.

This is the secret of life in a large corporation. Find your niche and perform in way that you can shine. Find a volume you are comfortable with and stick with it. I don't want to do the gift card thing here, If you want more detail, send me a PM.

Automation kicks in at 2500 scripts per week. I have no idea why these stores do not have Script Pro. You would have to speak to your pharmacy supervisor.

If a store is run well and the staff is well trained, working for CVS is easy. If the staff is poorly trained and the store is poorly run, working for CVS is a nightmare. I did my 8 hour shift a couple weeks ago at a busy store and between 8 and 4 we did 325 prescriptions and I walked out without a care in the world and plenty of energy. It was a piece of cake. The staff was awesome. I have worked at other stores that don't do 325 prescriptions in 14 hours and I walk out ready to kill someone....

CVS policy is clear and unequivocal. If you work an eight hour shift you are entitled to two paid 15 minute breaks and one 30 minute unpaid break.

Every Sunday I work from 9:45 am - 6:00 pm (8.25 hours) and I have never gotten any of those 15 minute paid breaks. For a long time (I started with CVS this past January) there were no lunch breaks. Then we were told we had to clock out for 30 mins if we worked over 6 hours. I have never seen a paid break be "acceptable" to the staff.
Sunday mornings are very busy and I'm often scrambling from drive-thru to the counter. I take my lunch at 1 or so, and about 4:30 when we're caught up and die down a bit I usually try to sit down a few minutes. However, the pharmacist immediately gives me a task to do. "We don't have time to sit" is what anyone who tries to take a break is told.
I used to work for Target (not in the pharmacy, just general store) and I worked a 6 hour shifft and at exactly halfway through I was ALWAYS given a 15 minute break. After no breaks at CVS, I thought maybe that was just a Target thing.
One of my best friends is an intern at my store and she even discourages the small breaks. Of course, she is an unusually hard worker: she once passed a kidney stone on her lunch break and then went back to work.

she is an unusually hard worker: she once passed a kidney stone on her lunch break and then went back to work.
Yep, she's a badass chick. I think we all are :D.

About the break though, you could just add the 15 minutes on top of your lunch break- just clock in after the 30 minutes and rest for an additional 15 minutes. I know how hard it is to get away from the pharmacy, so you may have to be creative as to how you take your 15 minute break if you really care about it.
I used to just wait until things slowed down to take a break. To me, it was easier to get caught up than to take a break in the middle of the shift. It's your right, so it will be up to you as to how you take the break.

Every Sunday I work from 9:45 am - 6:00 pm (8.25 hours) and I have never gotten any of those 15 minute paid breaks. For a long time (I started with CVS this past January) there were no lunch breaks. Then we were told we had to clock out for 30 mins if we worked over 6 hours. I have never seen a paid break be "acceptable" to the staff.
Sunday mornings are very busy and I'm often scrambling from drive-thru to the counter. I take my lunch at 1 or so, and about 4:30 when we're caught up and die down a bit I usually try to sit down a few minutes. However, the pharmacist immediately gives me a task to do. "We don't have time to sit" is what anyone who tries to take a break is told.
I used to work for Target (not in the pharmacy, just general store) and I worked a 6 hour shifft and at exactly halfway through I was ALWAYS given a 15 minute break. After no breaks at CVS, I thought maybe that was just a Target thing.
One of my best friends is an intern at my store and she even discourages the small breaks. Of course, she is an unusually hard worker: she once passed a kidney stone on her lunch break and then went back to work.

That is life at your prescription factory CVSs and Walgreens.

I take my lunch at 1 or so, and about 4:30 when we're caught up and die down a bit I usually try to sit down a few minutes. However, the pharmacist immediately gives me a task to do. "We don't have time to sit" is what anyone who tries to take a break is told.

Don't take your break in the pharmacy, get out of the lab..... I wouldn't work on this problem until your other issue is resolved. One at a time. Let's tackle that one and then we can move on to the next one.

You need to address this NOW!. Not tomorrow, and not next week. CVS policy is clear and unequivocal.

How can I address this when the pharmacist himself complains of not getting breaks? He works 14hr shift every other day. He's been working there for many years. Below is an example of what the convo will look like.

Me: how come I dont get breaks?
Rph: me neither.

With 1Rph : 2 Cpht, I think pharmacists wouldnt want to send one tech on break because if they did, then the store would lose points for not answering the phone on time. Below is an example of how will it be when one tech goes on break.

1 CPht= Cashier

Rph= doing drop off, production, counseling while the phone is ringing.

How can I address this when the pharmacist himself complains of not getting breaks? He works 14hr shift every other day. He's been working there for many years. Below is an example of what the convo will look like.

With 1Rph : 2 Cpht, I think pharmacists wouldnt want to send one tech on break because if they did, then the store would lose points for not answering the phone on time. Below is an example of how will it be when one tech goes on break.

1 CPht= Cashier

I read stuff like this & I'm dumbfounded. OK - lose points. Who cares?? This is not Monopoly or Risk (well, maybe risk...but the pt is the one at risk).

Really, what is the worst that could happen if you lose points for not answering a phone by a certain ring? Your DM says you're bad? A pt complains they can't get you by phone? You get fired? I really cannot believe a pharmacist really cares about points to the extent they would not allow a break.

If you get fired....well, they've done you a favor, IMO. All the others are absolutely meaningless. Your DM can get upset all he/she wants - that isn't going to conjure up another body to answer a phone. Pts will always find something to complain about - this is just one more - so let it slide off.

Just let your pharmacist know you'll be leaving in 15 minutes to take a break - then go. Don't discuss it, just do it. Problem solved! If your pharmacist was smart, he/she'd tell you the same thing.

lose points. Who cares??

Yes, I know, who cares?

I really cannot believe a pharmacist really cares about points to the extent they would not allow a break.

I guess points can increase their salary if the store's performance is good?
Idk.

Tough, he makes over $50.00 per hour and you make a whole lot less. It is that simple. Tell him to give you the difference per hours and then you will consider working w/o a break.

1 CPht= Cashier

It's not like you are going to Europe for your break. Let's get real. You are supposed to answer the phone in 20 seconds. You can easily answer the phone & politely tell the patient to hold. Finish your task and then go to the phone. If your pharmacist can't multi task well enough to answer the phone and do something else, he belongs elsewhere.... By the way with two techs and one pharmacist, how many prescriptions will you fill?

Just let your pharmacist know you'll be leaving in 15 minutes to take a break - then go. Don't discuss it, just do it. Problem solved! If your pharmacist was smart, he/she'd tell you the same thing.

I agree with what sdn said completely! If the pharmacist gives you a hard time about leaving say that you have to take the break otherwise they take it out of your check regardless. Usually an "I only make $8 an hour" thrown in there should do the trick too.

They're not paying you for those 30 minutes so you are entitled to a break. The store can't be that busy if there's only 2 techs at one time. If it gets really busy they can call in an assistant manager or someone else to run the register while you're at break.....I've had to do that when I was an assistant at Walgreens.

Do pharmacists get paid their entire shift or are there 30 minutes deducted from their pay?

I can't go more than 4-6 hours without eating anyhow...plus I get really cranky, so I have been urged to take a break in the past.

Stand up for yourself a little bit, you'll have to do it if you're in retail!!

I agree with what sdn said completely! If the pharmacist gives you a hard time about leaving say that you have to take the break otherwise they take it out of your check regardless. Usually an "I only make $8 an hour" thrown in there should do the trick too.

They're not paying you for those 30 minutes so you are entitled to a break. The store can't be that busy if there's only 2 techs at one time. If it gets really busy they can call in an assistant manager or someone else to run the register while you're at break.....I've had to do that when I was an assistant at Walgreens.

Do pharmacists get paid their entire shift or are there 30 minutes deducted from their pay?

I can't go more than 4-6 hours without eating anyhow...plus I get really cranky, so I have been urged to take a break in the past.

Stand up for yourself a little bit, you'll have to do it if you're in retail!!

Even at stores that do not fill a high volume, the company I work for has many windows where patients can pile up- don't they all seem to come at the same time? :rolleyes: The company I mention has 2 drivethru lanes, 2 outwindow spots, 2 in-window spots, 1 consultation area, and a phone with many lines in for then only 2-3 people to keep track of all those areas and manage workflow. At about 5 pm, all the areas start "collecting" people and thus, this is the challenge of a "slow" store with not a lot of help. Luckily, I'm at a higher volume and have enough people to cover at least 1 per area and people to do some filling or verifying or answering the phone.

So the pharmacists get greedy at less staffed stores and deny breaks because if their one tech goes to break, and 3 people walk up and are inpatient, they get the full unlucky wrath.

I read stuff like this & I'm dumbfounded. OK - lose points. Who cares?? This is not Monopoly or Risk (well, maybe risk...but the pt is the one at risk).

Really, what is the worst that could happen if you lose points for not answering a phone by a certain ring? Your DM says you're bad? A pt complains they can't get you by phone? You get fired? I really cannot believe a pharmacist really cares about points to the extent they would not allow a break.

If you get fired....well, they've done you a favor, IMO. All the others are absolutely meaningless. Your DM can get upset all he/she wants - that isn't going to conjure up another body to answer a phone. Pts will always find something to complain about - this is just one more - so let it slide off.

Fine idea until you get written up for it. I hired a tech from the Walgreens next door who was written up for taking his breaks and lunchs. Not at one pharmacy but two different ones. They wrote him up for leaving the pharmacy without permission and insubordination. He wanted his breaks and lunch and when they would not give it to him he would announce he was taking a break and leave. Eventually his hours were cut to almost nothing and he was forced to find another job.

It is the culture at the retail sweat shops called Walgreens and CVS. You are not expected to take your breaks. Honestly, the staffing is so poor you really have no choice but to skip your breaks and lunch. I think it is wrong and should be stopped. The problem is there are always naive new grads blinded by the money to take the positions and increasingly more foriegn pharmacists are filling the slots.

oh yea they come at the same time....the phone rings incessantly...the fax chirps in the background...insurance problem tying up your computer terminal....etc etc. but its retail and it's fun!! And that's why I have to eat to keep my strength up to deal with all the craziness.

Even at stores that do not fill a high volume, the company I work for has many windows where patients can pile up- don't they all seem to come at the same time? :rolleyes: The company I mention has 2 drivethru lanes, 2 outwindow spots, 2 in-window spots, 1 consultation area, and a phone with many lines in for then only 2-3 people to keep track of all those areas and manage workflow. At about 5 pm, all the areas start "collecting" people and thus, this is the challenge of a "slow" store with not a lot of help. Luckily, I'm at a higher volume and have enough people to cover at least 1 per area and people to do some filling or verifying or answering the phone.

So the pharmacists get greedy at less staffed stores and deny breaks because if their one tech goes to break, and 3 people walk up and are inpatient, they get the full unlucky wrath.

Fine idea until you get written up for it. I hired a tech from the Walgreens next door who was written up for taking his breaks and lunchs. Not at one pharmacy but two different ones. They wrote him up for leaving the pharmacy without permission and insubordination. He wanted his breaks and lunch and when they would not give it to him he would announce he was taking a break and leave. Eventually his hours were cut to almost nothing and he was forced to find another job.

It is the culture at the retail sweat shops called Walgreens and CVS. You are not expected to take your breaks. Honestly, the staffing is so poor you really have no choice but to skip your breaks and lunch. I think it is wrong and should be stopped. The problem is there are always naive new grads blinded by the money to take the positions and increasingly more foriegn pharmacists are filling the slots.

Thank you Mountain! You illustrated my point exactly! This is what is the worst that can happen, which, for the individual was the best - being written up & finding a better job.

I just had someone tell me this week that there is an unusual circumstance with Walgreens (altho it could be any number of other corporations) that even when a whole hoard of them jump ship (which in the most recent situation in my areas was about 20 pharmacists & 30 techs)....there surprisingly were more right there to fill the void.

And who says there is a shortage??????

There is NO shortage for bad jobs!!! NONE! (This is not to imply that foreign pharmacists are bad or less than qualified or discerning).

However, if a good pharmacist (any race, ethinicity, gender) wants a really good job, or a tech doesn't want to be treated by a disposable wipe - leave the job. There are other employers who will treat you better.

For the new grads - don't be so greedy about the money!!!!! That immediate gratification is fleeting & very short lived after you buy that HDTV & hot car. You have a lot of years to work. Use your good judgement & try not to be swayed by an "immediate come-on" (sign on bonus).

Oh - I just heard - some select CA Walgreens pharmacies in poorly staffed areas offer a $45K sign on - how crazy is that?? What do you expect your staffing will be in the future if it takes this much just to get a pharmacist?

Thank you Mountain! You illustrated my point exactly! This is what is the worst that can happen, which, for the individual was the best - being written up & finding a better job.

I just had someone tell me this week that there is an unusual circumstance with Walgreens (altho it could be any number of other corporations) that even when a whole hoard of them jump ship (which in the most recent situation in my areas was about 20 pharmacists & 30 techs)....there surprisingly were more right there to fill the void.

There is NO shortage for bad jobs!!! NONE! (This is not to imply that foreign pharmacists are bad or less than qualified or discerning).

However, if a good pharmacist (any race, ethinicity, gender) wants a really good job, or a tech doesn't want to be treated by a disposable wipe - leave the job. There are other employers who will treat you better.

For the new grads - don't be so greedy about the money!!!!! That immediate gratification is fleeting & very short lived after you buy that HDTV & hot car. You have a lot of years to work. Use your good judgement & try not to be swayed by an "immediate come-on" (sign on bonus).

Oh - I just heard - some select CA Walgreens pharmacies in poorly staffed areas offer a $45K sign on - how crazy is that?? What do you expect your staffing will be in the future if it takes this much just to get a pharmacist?

I love it when you post stuff like that! It's so funny to me :laugh:, because you're very informative within this website yet you also give the "down low".
If it looks too good to be true, it probably is, right?

It sort of illustrated your point. It is a great thing if you are new to the company or have not put in many years. This particular employee had 14 years with the company and was not looking to quit even though things were bad. Once you put in enough time to get benefits and to get vested in your retiremernt it is nearly impossible to quit. This why you see the highest turn over rate at the chain sweat shops are among the newer employees. This is exactly why things will likely never change. Once you have been with a company long enough to vest in your retitrement they have you and will do whatever they like.

I know several pharmacists who work for Walgreens and absolutly hate it. They have horrible attitudes but cannot quit because they have 25 years with the company and do not want to mess up thier retirement.

That's what I'm worried about. Getting my hours cut.

The techs at my store are regulars who works without getting the two 15-min & 30 min unpaid time out. I'm sure they can find another tech who are willing to do the same.

Looking for a "better job" is not that easy. It took me a while to get the job where I'm at(5 mins from my house). And If I did find another job, It could be 30miles away. The only reason I got the job is because one of the CPht had to leave for school and they were desperate at the time. I really can't do anything as Im afraid of losing my job or getting less hours. I just have to live with it and like what you said. It's just wrong.

Someone out there who has more influence needs to address the issue. It is clear that this doesn't just at my store.

Btw, I did talk to one of the Pharmacist and asked how the breaks work because I dont use my break and still deduct .5 time off my check. The Rph responded with "yea you should be able to take your break but they might give you a hard time because we only have 2 techs during a shift."

Notice he said "they" and not "we"

Once you have been with a company long enough to vest in your retitrement they have you and will do whatever they like.

How long are until you are fully vested wrt 401k at Wags and CVS? It can't be that long... just a few years (2-5 I think I read somewhere). That's the beauty of 401k, you can take it (and your employee match) with you within a few years, it's not like a pension or anything. The only thing holding you to your current company at 15-20 years is perhaps seniority and/or emotional attachment.

Plus, if you were to negotiate with a new employer, many are more than willing to match salary and other benefits comperable to your previous employer. This is true across most professions, not just pharmacy.

How long are until you are fully vested wrt 401k at Wags and CVS? It can't be that long... just a few years (2-5 I think I read somewhere). That's the beauty of 401k, you can take it (and your employee match) with you within a few years, it's not like a pension or anything. The only thing holding you to your current company at 15-20 years is perhaps seniority and/or emotional attachment.

Plus, if you were to negotiate with a new employer, many are more than willing to match salary and other benefits comperable to your previous employer. This is true across most professions, not just pharmacy.

By vested I mean the amount of time you have to stay with the company in order to keep any matching employer contributions. Walgreens matches quite a bit more than most other companies something like 3 to 1. I do not remember. It usually takes 5 years to be vested. Which does not sound like a long time but it is. If you start over with another company you have to wait 1 to 3 months before you can contribute and you start over as far as vesting goes. Bottomline is the answer to every problem is not "oh just quit and find a better job." Eventually you reach a point where it is time to stop running a take a stand. If enough people do it maybe something will change.

^^hmm the companies I have worked for (non-pharmacy), you are allowed to contribute to your 401k within 30 days of hire. They will match with the matching portion is set aside until you are at 100% vestment.

Now I'm curious how the retail chains operate...but yes, anytime you quit a job to go to a new one, costs will be incurred (lost wages, time spent interviewing, traveling, etc...). One of those is going to be 401k vestment issues and fees involved with roll over, if any.

It's just a common theme I've heard from our guru pharmacists here is that no amount of money is worth being treated persona-non-grata, and that any costs of getting out of that environment would be well spent.

But I agree, financially speaking, that changing the framework you are in is much more desirable than abandoning it. At least you are guaranteed a better work environment vs. rolling the dice on a new employer.

I have been a pharmacist for more that 10 years and work all over the country for many pharmacy chains including CVS. And let me tell you something about this company:
CVS has tremendously grown over the passed decade because the have learned how to cheat the system. Now they just baught longs drug stores.
Here are some Basic facts, you wanna know.

1) CVS does not want you to take 15 minute breaks and would like you to eat your lunch in the pharmacy while filling prescriptions. They want the custumers to get in and out in 15 minutes. CVS has been sued for this.

2) CVS will run a timing software that keeps track of processing times. The timer does not stop even when you are at lunch so let's say you decide to take an normal 1 hour lunch breack and come back. You will be in RED and your average processing times increased and the DPM will call you wanting to know why you are slowing down!! And they will eventualy eliminate you for other reasons, or transfer you to the front store and cut down your hours until you decide that you got enough and quit.

3) CVS dows not want you to work 8 hour shifts but instead 12 to 14 hour shifts with no overtime. They will have sign waivers for this purpuse. CVS will iniate these by first giving money incentive which will be discoutinued once they got you in the habit of working long hours.

4) CVS has alot of money to settle cases. Pay people off people (ex: FCC), Influence Pharmacy Board members etc...

5) CVS officialy will deny all the above. But in practice they master it.

Please understand that CVS saves a lot of money by not providing
the overlap coverage that is needed to cover luches and breaks for pharmacists and the rest of staff. The laws on the East coast are soft, and CVS have been getting away with this, saving lots of money which has alowed them to overcome their other competitors.

So I hope you understand better why you are discouraged from taking breaks.

Lots of luck :)

Your good neiberhood pharmacist

Just wondering...

Yes, CVS sucks and we all know it.......

Again, I have said it before.....They get away with what you let them get away with.

Last edited:
I work at CVS currently, my hours are all messed up, and I was supposed to get a raise two weeks ago that still hasnt shown up on my pay check.

Its just me and the RPH and he cant have me taking 30 minute breaks so usually I just book it to subway and eat while working

the pharmacist works anywhere from 4-6 days a week. He works 8am-9pm daily

I work at CVS currently, my hours are all messed up, and I was supposed to get a raise two weeks ago that still hasnt shown up on my pay check.

Its just me and the RPH and he cant have me taking 30 minute breaks so usually I just book it to subway and eat while working

How many prescriptions do you and the pharmacist do? How many hours does he work per week?

The pharmacists at our store usually work 8am - 10pm .... and usually just take a 30 min lunch at like... 12:45pm and thats it.

Yes, CVS sucks and we all know it.......

Again, I have said it before.....They get away with what you let them get away with.

I totally agree. If we have a problem with the way pharmacy professionals are treated it is time we did something about it. It is not a problem that is handled by the current major organizations. However, there is a new one that is on the horizion. Check out The Pharmacy Alliance link in my sig.

I work for CVS too and i also noticed that lunch break was deducted from my pay even when i didn't take a lunch break. Now, we are required to punch out for a 30 minute break when we work more than 6 hours because it's the law. But do we get paid 15 minute breaks? No. It's the law too but nobody is ever able to take more than the 30 minute break. When i work on Sundays (only one tech works on sundays), the pharmacist expects me to buy a snack from the store and sit in the back and eat so she can get help when it gets busy, and that's on my 30 minute break when i'm supposed to be off the clock.

This is a sad situation.
You are entitled to your breaks...it is the law. If you don't get them you sue for compensation. If you are scared to lose your job you will be taken advantage of for the rest of your life.
Please stand up for your right. You are lucky to be in a land where you can do so, otherwise we will lose them.
Good luck

I had no idea CVS holds a gun to everyone's head and says "You can't have breaks, now get back to work!" If you don't like it, do something about it or quit crying about it. Everyone makes choices in life.

do you have a point by any chance or do you like to ramble non-sense?

I have been a pharmacist for more that 10 years and work all over the country for many pharmacy chains including CVS.

2) CVS will run a timing software that keeps track of processing times. The timer does not stop even when you are at lunch so let's say you decide to take an normal 1 hour lunch breack and come back. You will be in RED and

3) CVS dows not want you to work 8 hour shifts but instead 12 to 14 hour shifts with no overtime.

4) CVS has alot of money to settle cases. Pay people off people (ex: FCC), Influence Pharmacy Board members etc...

5) CVS officialy will deny all the above. But in practice they master it.

Lots of luck :)

Your good neiberhood pharmacist

So let me get this straight....you've been a pharmacist for TEN years, have the spelling and capitalization skills of an 8 year old, claim that CVS paid off the Federal Communications Commission (for God knows what--lack of satellite TV in the pharmacy??), and somehow can't convey to your technicians "hey, I'm going on break, set the wait times to 30-45 minutes" in any usable language???

:laugh:

What an idiot! :laugh::laugh: