Does anyone get CVS breaks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is CVS really as terrible as all of you say? I wouldn't know because I have no experience working for CVS. My only pharmacy experience so far has been working in the retail setting as an intern for a Giant Eagle grocery store this summer (fyi giant eagle has most of its stores in PA and OH). I have great working conditions. For a store that probably averages somewhere in the low 200s for scripts per day, we are usually open from 9-9, have double pharmacist overlap during the middle of the day on the busy weekdays, and are always very well staffed. When I work usually from afternoon to close, we have the pharmacist, at least 2 other pharmacy techs, and sometimes another intern besides me. It is only reduced down to 2 techs or an intern and a tech helping the pharmacist during the last 2 hours. I am always encouraged to take my breaks every day, and the pharmacists will make me take them during down hours if I haven't yet.

Wow sounds like retail nirvana.

Definitely not even close to a CVS or WAGS. How much money is that pharmacy losing?

Members don't see this ad.

Wow sounds like retail nirvana.

Definitely not even close to a CVS or WAGS. How much money is that pharmacy losing?

Considering they're at the forefront of the movement responsible for giving away antibiotics and now diabetes meds, and I believe also big coupon pushers, I'd say their bottomline is hurting. I worked for a Meijer in Ohio as an intern that had all the same programs and they really hurt to show a profit.

Makes up for it big in groceries, obviously.

You are correct about the free stuff. We give away a lot of free antibiotics and diabetes medications, and we also honor every single one of those "free $25 gift card for a new/transfer prescription" from every other major pharmacy around. I love the store I work for, but I feel like all of the gimmicks are ruining it for everyone else.

Members don't see this ad :)
This cooperation is and has been a huge problem for the employee's working there for a very long time. You can just Google "CVS", and there are several links/blogs/forums; explaining how corrupt this company is, However the only way to truly do something about it, is to SPEAK UP, If everyone that worked for CVS demanded their 30 minute break (regardless of production), they would get one. If your manager is nasty and disrespectful, simply ask them for the DM's phone number and watch them squirm. SPEAK UP. Everyone at CVS has a boss they have to answer to, always keep that in mind. There are currently 7,182 CVS's, and since 2005...i'm sure they're more now, (80,000) employees, the customers keep the store in business. Although, on the contrary... Isn't it the employee's that keep the store running?? SPEAK UP, it's harder for them to fire you, than it is for you to quit!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep in mind, there's always Wallgreens and Eckerd Drug stores, so stop it with the Economy excuses. SPEAK UP and stop whining.

This cooperation is and has been a huge problem for the employee's working there for a very long time. You can just Google "CVS", and there are several links/blogs/forums; explaining how corrupt this company is, However the only way to truly do something about it, is to SPEAK UP, If everyone that worked for CVS demanded their 30 minute break (regardless of production), they would get one. If your manager is nasty and disrespectful, simply ask them for the DM's phone number and watch them squirm. SPEAK UP. Everyone at CVS has a boss they have to answer to, always keep that in mind. There are currently 7,182 CVS's, and since 2005...i'm sure they're more now, (80,000) employees, the customers keep the store in business. Although, on the contrary... Isn't it the employee's that keep the store running?? SPEAK UP, it's harder for them to fire you, than it is for you to quit!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep in mind, there's always Wallgreens and Eckerd Drug stores, so stop it with the Economy excuses. SPEAK UP and stop whining.

NO. My check was consistently docked, 10 minutes here, 10 minutes there. I could see all the time changes on the time sheet they asked me to sign, which I refused, and I highlighted all the changes, week after week. One week 25 minutes was docked and I called ethics line. Two other employees also called ethics line. I was the first one and made the mistake of giving the exact amount of minutes changed and the date, and I was called into talk with DM and other big-wig for 30 minutes. I was told there was "not much evidence" and "not much time had been changed" and to never call the ethics line again no matter what occured. I ended up crying and was told that I was not considered a trustworthy employee, etc, etc. and that the times had never been changed. When I said that the sheets proved they had, I was told it was "not a substantial amount"..I said I had only called to make sure it stopped happening (and it did after my call) and I was told I was not allowed to speak. Meanwhile this meeting is taking place in a room with a "Need to unload? Call us! The Ethics Line" poster...umm okay. Keep your mouth shut and do your job unless you already have a better-paying job secured, and if you do..then you'd leave already.

NO. My check was consistently docked, 10 minutes here, 10 minutes there. I could see all the time changes on the time sheet they asked me to sign, which I refused, and I highlighted all the changes, week after week. One week 25 minutes was docked and I called ethics line. Two other employees also called ethics line. I was the first one and made the mistake of giving the exact amount of minutes changed and the date, and I was called into talk with DM and other big-wig for 30 minutes. I was told there was "not much evidence" and "not much time had been changed" and to never call the ethics line again no matter what occured. I ended up crying and was told that I was not considered a trustworthy employee, etc, etc. and that the times had never been changed. When I said that the sheets proved they had, I was told it was "not a substantial amount"..I said I had only called to make sure it stopped happening (and it did after my call) and I was told I was not allowed to speak. Meanwhile this meeting is taking place in a room with a "Need to unload? Call us! The Ethics Line" poster...umm okay. Keep your mouth shut and do your job unless you already have a better-paying job secured, and if you do..then you'd leave already.

Holy crap. Pharmacy technicians aren't unionized in your state by any chance, are they?

ETA: I guess I was assuming you're a pharmacy tech, which would be a silly assumption on a board for pharmacists. Sorry.

that is pure evil. i will never shop at cvs for anything

I guess I am an oddity.

I just started interning there. I work between 5 and 7 hours and they make sure I take a break. When I work 5, I get 15 mins. When I work 7, I actually get 30 mins.

And it's a crazy busy CVS...
Open 24 hours...
With a Drive-thru...
Across from a medical center.

:shrug:

I guess I am an oddity.

I just started interning there. I work between 5 and 7 hours and they make sure I take a break. When I work 5, I get 15 mins. When I work 7, I actually get 30 mins.

And it's a crazy busy CVS...
Open 24 hours...
With a Drive-thru...
Across from a medical center.

:shrug:

Out of curiosity---do the pharmacists and technicians get breaks and lunches?

It's SUPPOSED to be that technicians get 30 minute lunch breaks, and pharmacists don't get any breaks.
Our PIC requires that if we work over 6 hours, we have to take our lunch break because there's not enough hours at our store to let people work without clocking out for 30 min. No one at our store works under 6 hours...
If you do work under 6, then you can take one if you want to, but it's optional if you just want to get paid for that 30 minutes, which is usually the case. However, on Saturdays and Sundays, which are 9 and 8 hours shifts, it's only one technician and the pharmacist at our store, so you can't take a break.
As for the pharmacists, one of my pharmacists just eats while she verifies, and the other tries to catch up the production Q as much as possible, and then wheels her chair over to the empty counter by the fax machine and eats. When it seems like everything is quiet for a few minutes, they'll run to the bathroom really fast. It's sad that they work 14 hour days and don't get a break...but that's just how CVS is...

We had a few floaters that would try and go in the break room, which is connected to the pharmacy, for like 10 minutes and eat. But 2 minutes after they sit down there's always a counsel or a question or a CII waiter. Never fails.

we get a 30 minute break at cvs for lunch but often, we just eat the back and assist when needed. what is the point of taking a long lunch and coming back to stack of prescriptions?

we get a 30 minute break at cvs for lunch but often, we just eat the back and assist when needed. what is the point of taking a long lunch and coming back to stack of prescriptions?

Wouldn't it be nice to have an adequate amount of staffing so you could take your lunch and rest breaks without having to come back to a stack of prescriptions?

At my CVS, the techs get their 30 for sure. The Pharmacists eat when they can get it in...they eat/take bathroom breaks when it calms down. They are pretty stickler about it at my location. But I think its because people would seriously go insane without the break. Being across the street from the hospital...well, you know.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to see what CVS and other chains are doing to the pharmacy profession today go to
www.cvsworker.com under Blogs and Venting. What you'll read there is happening today.

If you want to see what CVS and other chains are doing to the pharmacy profession today go to
www.cvsworker.com under Blogs and Venting. What you'll read there is happening today.

I could only get through some of those blog posts, THE HORROR! I just want to live like no one else and pay off my debts so I can live like no one else!

It is federal law that you are entitled to breaks and a lunch break. What should you do? You should take your breaks and your lunch breaks. Disregard everything in the pharmacy. Do not concern yourself about the number of customers waiting or whether the pharmacist has any help or not. CVS intentionally under staffs their stores. They know that techs will feel bad leaving a pharmacist during a busy period. But, you have no control over the staffing! You have no control over the number of customers than come to the pharmacy. If a pharmacist is willing to work without sufficient help, then that is the pharmacists problem and not yours. If everyone took their breaks, then the problem would be resolved. But, as long as there are people that will skip breaks, then that is just how long such things exist. You are giving CVS your time for free. That is a DUMB thing to do!

I see CVS pharmacists taking legit lunch breaks all the time, some even shutting down the pharmacy momentarily.

It is federal law that you are entitled to breaks and a lunch break. What should you do? You should take your breaks and your lunch breaks. Disregard everything in the pharmacy. Do not concern yourself about the number of customers waiting or whether the pharmacist has any help or not. CVS intentionally under staffs their stores. They know that techs will feel bad leaving a pharmacist during a busy period. But, you have no control over the staffing! You have no control over the number of customers than come to the pharmacy. If a pharmacist is willing to work without sufficient help, then that is the pharmacists problem and not yours. If everyone took their breaks, then the problem would be resolved. But, as long as there are people that will skip breaks, then that is just how long such things exist. You are giving CVS your time for free. That is a DUMB thing to do!
There is no such law. You may have a union contract. If you think there is, please post a link to the CFR showing same.

Reactions: 1 user
You don't need breaks if you have trained your bladder to hold 100 liters of fluid.

CVS pharmacists get exactly what they deserve. How can you feel sympathy for a group of people not willing to defend themselves and their dignity? When I found out my CVS classmates wear diapers because they can't take breaks, that's when I knew this fight had already been fought and lost.

Reactions: 2 users
I ended up having so many health problems because of no breaks,Sometime no restroom visits too till 6PM ,Its pure hell.Hope someone could bring this up,I called ethics line too.

I wouldn't expect much from calling the company sponsored ethics line. Just like HR, they are not there to support you. These changes will have to be forced from the outside.

CVS pharmacists get exactly what they deserve. How can you feel sympathy for a group of people not willing to defend themselves and their dignity? When I found out my CVS classmates wear diapers because they can't take breaks, that's when I knew this fight had already been fought and lost.

I literally don't know anybody who doesn't take a pee break when needed. Who the hell are these idiots?

Don't some of you guys have overlap? I hardly ever overlap and still take a lunch. I don't take breaks because that puts me back but I run to the restroom whenever I want or take a 2-3 min breather and drink some water. Have some balls. Take your lunch or go to the bathroom. Why on earth are some of you guys doing that to yourselves? I bet your techs take breaks and lunch. I highly doubt your DM is getting on calls and saying "don't forget guys, remember no breaks and lunches". I've said it before half of you put the **** on yourselves sometimes. It's sad.

what part of the nation is this going on?

I never take breaks. I often time forget to drink water so I don't produce enough urine to need to use the restroom. It wasn't healthy. Now I have a giant tumbler stationed next to me so I sip all day. I also eat while I QA to keep up and prevent my sugars from dropping. Less errors and it keeps my energy up.

I never take breaks. I often time forget to drink water so I don't produce enough urine to need to use the restroom. It wasn't healthy. Now I have a giant tumbler stationed next to me so I sip all day. I also eat while I QA to keep up and prevent my sugars from dropping. Less errors and it keeps my energy up.

When I worked for CVS we had a loss prevention manager who informed the entire pharmacy that there was to be zero food or drink, including water, behind the counter. We had 14 hour shifts where often I did not get a sip to drink, bite to eat, or go to the bathroom. The break room was half way across the store, along with the bathroom, we were an old Osco that was bought out. To make matters worse the DM backed up the Nazi LP manager"s invented rule. One of the staff pharmacists was threatened with being written up for a protein bar in her lab coat. I lasted for four years as a CVS Intern in a great store with a pushy but sane DM but only made it 3 months as a CVS pharmacist in a different state under a crazy DM. Had to get out of there before the job made me ill enough to need some of the medication I was handling every day.

If you work at CVS and are a pharmacist, tech, student, clerk, cashier, etc. sit your ass down and take the 30min break you deserve. Tell your techs/ the other techs you're going and set the wait time longer, I've seen it done, the world won't end and you wont get fired lol.

I take my break every shift. Feel kind of bad because none of the other RPhs do, but I can't make them. I'm not gonna kill myself bc they don't take a break.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
I take my break every shift. Feel kind of bad because none of the other RPhs do, but I can't make them. I'm not gonna kill myself bc they don't take a break.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

OMG YES! This x100. I don't know what it is, so many of my coworkers do not even take a lunch break. I never let it stop me though, I am taking my lunch.

Reactions: 1 users
I complained to Ethics Line.

This is what they have to say::::
Thank you for contacting the Ethics Line, your concerns have been thoroughly reviewed. Be assured that the matters you reported have been brought to the attention of the appropriate level of management and, when applicable, the appropriate actions have been taken. The Ethics Line review is now closed.

They did not specify the action taken.

Through my secret contacts inside CVS, I was able to find security footage of the Ethics Line team handling your report:

SECRET FOOTAGE

Reactions: 1 users
When I worked for CVS we had a loss prevention manager who informed the entire pharmacy that there was to be zero food or drink, including water, behind the counter. We had 14 hour shifts where often I did not get a sip to drink, bite to eat, or go to the bathroom. The break room was half way across the store, along with the bathroom, we were an old Osco that was bought out. To make matters worse the DM backed up the Nazi LP manager"s invented rule. One of the staff pharmacists was threatened with being written up for a protein bar in her lab coat. I lasted for four years as a CVS Intern in a great store with a pushy but sane DM but only made it 3 months as a CVS pharmacist in a different state under a crazy DM. Had to get out of there before the job made me ill enough to need some of the medication I was handling every day.
WHen LP invents policies in order to give themselves something to enforce DO NOT FOLLOW IT. Inform them that you will 100% follow the policy as written and distributed by the corporate office as soon as they can provide a copy. They will never be able to do so. When they bring up the policy, inform them again that you are waiting for the policy as approved by corporate in writing.