does anyone hate themselves because of lackluster grades?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

intuition

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been in college for 3 years, and I can honestly say i didn't enjoy it, I mean I never even went out to any crazy frat parties..but the sad part about that is that I don't even have a 4.0...instead I'm buried in C's and W's..I hate this.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been in college for 3 years, and I can honestly say i didn't enjoy it, I mean I never even went out to any crazy frat parties..but the sad part about that is that I don't even have a 4.0...instead I'm buried in C's and W's..I hate this.

snickers.jpg

:thumbup:

no, I hate myself for competely unrelated reasons.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not at all. If I had it to do over again, I'd take my first year more seriously, but that's really the only thing I'd change. Double majoring kicked the crap out of my GPA, but it was worth it. There's no reason to go to college if you're not going to learn the things you want to learn, in my opinion.

Think of it this way..it could be worse..look at me for an example; I'm currently on probation and my user name is in red. Does it get worse than that?

Think of it this way..it could be worse..look at me for an example; I'm currently on probation and my user name is in red. Does it get worse than that?

was it for the monkey thread? that was pretty funny. I don't see why it was closed. It didn't really contribute anything, but it was more entertaining than the 10,000th installment of Upitt vs. X school.

was it for the monkey thread? that was pretty funny. I don't see why it was closed. It didn't really contribute anything, but it was more entertaining than the 10,000th installment of Upitt vs. X school.

Yes, the thread was listed as trolling/intent to inflame...I guess "joking" is now considered trolling and inflaming...Doctors should never joke around; before they become doctors they have to worry about getting good grades(like this post) and then after they become doctors they just live to ensure that other people live....

I doubt it.

Meh, lots of people recall college as some of the best, carefree years of their life. Personally high school was much more fun for me (read: no responsibility). In college I was already morphing into an adult via living on my own, paying my way through, etc. I've never been much of a partier though I do love to travel.

Don't hate yourself for lackluster grades. All you can do is acknowledge the factors that led to poor grades and try to do better in the future. Or you could take a semester or two off and work if you feel like you've lost sight/motivation/whatever. Talk with your family, counselor, advisors and see what decision you come to.

I don't hate myself, but I'm not happy with the marks I'm going to get in chem and trig this term.

But I'm also burnt out right now and I don't care about the exams I've got tomorrow enough to organise my head for them. D:

Yes, the thread was listed as trolling/intent to inflame...I guess "joking" is now considered trolling and inflaming...Doctors should never joke around; before they become doctors they have to worry about getting good grades(like this post) and then after they become doctors they just live to ensure that other people live....
Try a little more subtlety next time. Draw out the humor a little more.

yeah not hate, but disappointed how I handled my math class this sem.

Members don't see this ad :)
dude you cant let your grades dictate your happiness
they are letters on a piece of paper and that is about it
you tried hard in your classes and you mastered the material the best you could
you need to separate yourself from your grades and look for motivation in things that are more real
i'm not saying that you shouldn't care about your grades, i'm just saying you have to rethink wherein lies their value

you need to separate yourself from your grades and look for motivation in things that are more real
i'm not saying that you shouldn't care about your grades, i'm just saying you have to rethink wherein lies their value

not really. people can choose what they want to be happy about. if someone gets their kicks out of collecting A's, that's their thing, and there's nothing wrong with that.

I like what you have said. I put myself for bad grades in the past and was going through a lot of hard times. Since the bad grades of a semester I was unhappy, but realized I have 11 more sciences classes to go plus extra upper divisions and after that bad semester I have been pulling no lower then B's. I also realize sometimes we screw up and it is not the end of the world, life moves along with us. Life is short live it up and be happy.:)
Just do better in the future and put more extra work into it for the A grades;)

at the end of the day, at least you know you gave it your all.

I hate myself for my striking good lucks and perfect skin :( Life is hard when you're breaking hearts all day!

You should be my twin....ugh I HATE COLLEGE.

I went through this my freshman year. I joined a fraternity and the people I met and the fun I had made me do better in school after that, even better than a lot of people who only study. Try having some fun. People never take into account the inadvertent effects of just doing something fun. It can help you.

I don't hate myself, but I'm not happy with the marks I'm going to get in chem and trig this term.

But I'm also burnt out right now and I don't care about the exams I've got tomorrow enough to organise my head for them. D:

Announcer: We now return to "The Communists".
Father: I hear report cards vere handed out today. Vot were your grades?
Son: Uhhh...uhhh...uhhh....
Mother: Qvit Stalin and answer your father.
(canned laughter)
Mother: Go ahead, honey, and tell us your...Marx.
(canned laughter)
Son: Do I Krushchev?
Krushshev: Did somebody say Krushshev?
(everyone dances)

Then do something about it. Clearly you need to remind yourself why you're in college in the first place and try to improve your study habits. I understand why you hate them but hating your poor grades and sulking over them won't do you any good. It isn't easy, but merely complaining about it will bring you nowhere.

I don't always have wonderful grades either, but I do my best to get as good a grade as I can. When I start hating the marks I get, I ask myself why and make it a challenge to do better. I don't hate myself because I know that my grades do not define who I am. They just show how much work I put into something and how well I did it...as well as any possible room for improvement.

And hey, don't pressure yourself too much. Balance everything and go to parties when you have no studying or work to do. (I take dance classes every Saturday to relieve stress from studying for example.) Talk to friends or family about how you feel so they can help you. You'll see that just talking to them and having them listen helps. Do something to do better and believe you can do better.

BTW, one of the things that motivates me is reminding myself to "keep your eyes on the goal, not on the hindrances on the way to get there".

Good luck! :luck: :D

I will never forgive myself for getting a B in gen chem II.

I know I feel that way sometimes (I share a similar coffin of endless C's).

But then I remember, that despite what all other premeds/medical schools/parents, etc. tell you:

I am NOT my grades!

My grades in college were great and I went to frat parties almost every weekend. So it can be done. But I must say, that I never respected the frat system and I moved out of the frat house my sophomore year. But I kept going to the frat parties as a junior and senior because I went to a small college and that is where the action was. So sure, you can go to frat parties and still get good grades. But personally, I do not recommend frats.

Then do something about it. Clearly you need to remind yourself why you're in college in the first place and try to improve your study habits. I understand why you hate them but hating your poor grades and sulking over them won't do you any good. It isn't easy, but merely complaining about it will bring you nowhere.

I don't always have wonderful grades either, but I do my best to get as good a grade as I can. When I start hating the marks I get, I ask myself why and make it a challenge to do better. I don't hate myself because I know that my grades do not define who I am. They just show how much work I put into something and how well I did it...as well as any possible room for improvement.

And hey, don't pressure yourself too much. Balance everything and go to parties when you have no studying or work to do. (I take dance classes every Saturday to relieve stress from studying for example.) Talk to friends or family about how you feel so they can help you. You'll see that just talking to them and having them listen helps. Do something to do better and believe you can do better.

BTW, one of the things that motivates me is reminding myself to "keep your eyes on the goal, not on the hindrances on the way to get there".

Good luck! :luck: :D

I don't have any close friends, and my broken family is never there for me...they've all got issues. yay, great life for me.

Announcer: We now return to "The Communists".
Father: I hear report cards vere handed out today. Vot were your grades?
Son: Uhhh...uhhh...uhhh....
Mother: Qvit Stalin and answer your father.
(canned laughter)
Mother: Go ahead, honey, and tell us your...Marx.
(canned laughter)
Son: Do I Krushchev?
Krushshev: Did somebody say Krushshev?
(everyone dances)

Hahahahaha! :laugh:

My brain must be fried. I just spent two minutes laughing nonstop at this.

I get good grades.

I don't have any close friends, and my broken family is never there for me...they've all got issues. yay, great life for me.

I'm sorry to hear that. I dunno but you could try going out or something to meet new people. You may not be able to control everything but there are still many things in your hands.

You can also talk to other people you're comfortable with or maybe with a friendly counselor or adviser. :)

I dunno man, I did worst my sophmore year. I enjoyed my freshman year, but sophmore year I didn't really enjoy my classes so much (ochem + physics = not fun) and I didn't really enjoy going out/hanging with friends because I felt guilty being out when I was doing somewhat poorly in class. Junior year first semester, I scaled back on classes as much as I could and stacked up my easy classes for one semester. It made a HUGE difference. As I was doing better in class, I started going out more and I even became a little more active on campus. Junior/Senior year I had a lot more fun and I enjoyed my classes more and did better in them as well.

My 2 cents: Take a breather next semester. It's ok if you gotta take summer school to catch up. Take one semester really light in classes you KNOW you can handle. The academic esteem booster that results will be good for you personally and academically. Slowly ratchet it up each semester till you graduate and you'll be fine. Some people just learn how to study a little bit later. Good luck, man. :thumbup:

I wish I could go back and improve my grades; you aren't alone in that respect. As for hating yourself, there are ways to get around that...like sex! :D

Forget about grades! They take care of themselves if you take care of life.

Do something fun, study hard, fall in love, the grades will come by themselves.

I do feel what you are going through. I've been a loser my whole life. Throughout my adolescence, I had few friends, was ostracized, forced into special ed, had no future prospects, was always depressed etc. Recently I forced myself to become a good student and to be more sociable and discovered for the first time in my life that I'm actually worth something. But whenever I slip in a class, I always direct severe blame towards myself, making me ruminate ridiculous things,"am I good enough", " I'm just a waste of my parents money", "do I deserve to live?"etc. But eventually I just tell myself that everyone makes mistakes and can always make up for it. Just like I had when I transitioned to college from high school.

at the end of the day, at least you know you gave it your all.
@Character. That is the worst way of looking at things. It creates a self-fulling prophecy.

Although my family's great, I feel you in the no close friends department. I moved here from another city in the middle of the year a couple of years ago, and I was just never able to find someone to connect with. I never knew that friendship was so important.

Okay, so this is what I did to help me feeling sorry for myself (I know it sounds corny, but I swear it really works):

1. make sure its quiet and no one else is around, and get a piece of paper and pen.

2. Start writing exactly why you think you are sad and what makes you sad without lifting the pen off the paper.

3. Write about why you think people should like you, and why you should like yourself too (i.e. things that are good about you).

4. Write anything else that comes to your head that you feel is relevant. Again, don't take the pen off the page, don't think just write.

This really helped me to sort a lot of feelings out, and I came out refreshed. Whenever things just start to get too much emotionally, I just do this exercise. (Notice, this accomplishes the same thing that sitting down and talking things out with my friends used to do for me...now I'm my own best friend :D!)

uhh yeah.. like seriously... drives me crazy.. makes me cry for who knows how long.. gawwwwshhh...

depresses my arse... ugh sometimes i just want to UGHHHH blow up myself and dieeeeeee....

i could relate. i have no friends. i have family but nyehh i don' think they will ever relate to me.

i'm fat, ugly, despicable and i have c's. nice combo... i loathe myself to no end. it's like a hobby now.

Wow, this is quite the angsty thread. I mean, I'm not a huge fan of getting C's or the fact that studying what I wanted in college severely jeopardized my chances to achieve my goal of attending med school, but at no point did the thought "I hate my life" or anything even remotely similar cross my mind. Yikes.

Not at all. If I had it to do over again, I'd take my first year more seriously, but that's really the only thing I'd change. Double majoring kicked the crap out of my GPA, but it was worth it. There's no reason to go to college if you're not going to learn the things you want to learn, in my opinion.

Rejected Pre-Secondary
East Tennessee State University
Eastern Virginia Medical School
Indiana University
Mayo Medical School
Northeastern Ohio Universities
University of Kansas - "I know lots of people there and could've continued living at home. "
University of Nebraska
University of North Carolina - "No chance to get in but worth a shot."
University of South Alabama
University of Tennessee
Virginia Commonwealth University
Wake Forest University

Rejected Post-Secondary
Creighton University
George Washington University - "Waste of application fee."
Georgetown University - "Waste of application fee."
Rosalind Franklin University
Saint Louis University - "Too bad. I really would've liked to go there."
Tulane University - "Practicing medicine in New Orleans would be incredible. Interview, please!...or not."
University of Alabama
University of Miami
University of Missouri, Columbia - "No interview. Yikes."
University of Oklahoma

Yeah, so worth it. :rolleyes:

Rejected Pre-Secondary
Indiana University
Mayo Medical School
University of Kansas - "I know lots of people there and could've continued living at home. "
University of Nebraska
University of Tennessee
Wake Forest University

Rejected Post-Secondary
Creighton University
Tulane University - "Practicing medicine in New Orleans would be incredible. Interview, please!...or not."
University of Alabama
University of Miami
University of Oklahoma

*face in palm* Haha oh man.

Well I have not even started college but if I can comment on one major factor that could possibly contribute to a future trend of bad grades, it would be study habits. I suck at that, I have so much free time and I spend it doing things that of less importance. I need to break bad habits before college. As for advice, I would say maybe summer classes and lots of them? Truthfully, I don't know, maybe the problem is the lack of social life in your part that has contributed to other problems. Balance is key...

Forget about grades! They take care of themselves if you take care of life.

Do something fun, study hard, fall in love, the grades will come by themselves.

haha, dude...no grades do not come by themselves! it's all about time management. you can easily study hard during the week and daytime so you can go out on weekends. you can't spend your freetime during the week playing videogames, though, and then expect to be able to go out without affecting your grades. that's what i've learned anyways. this semester i've made myself be on lockdown and i think it's paid off. sure i didn't go out much AT ALL this semester, but i jacked around the previous 5 semesters. i needed one real good semester in order to finish strong taking 21 hours (4 bio classes) and the MCAT. my MCAT was taken a few weeks ago, my finals are coming up in the next week or two and i'm going into all my classes' finals with fairly strong As, and it's going to pay off. since the MCAT, i finally started to get some of my life back haha. had a good weekend, got plenty drunk today at our school's huge oncampus drinking event, and now i'm ready to finish up strong. i know in 2 weeks my classes will over, i will have my mcat scores back, and then it's summer. taking a few summer classes so i'll catch up with the going out starting in a few weeks and lasting really for the next year at least. sooo, it's all about fixing your priorities so you can play later!

I wouldn't say that I hate myself, but I am really really disappointed and embarrassed looking back on my undergrad grades. They aren't horrible, I'm not trying to act like they are that bad, I just KNOW I could have done a million times better. I really didn't try hard enough, and even now, in my last term of college where I am on the border of graduating with honors, I'm still not really trying hard enough. I just don't like to do things unless I'm fully interested, and most of my undergrad classes I wasn't interested in.....God I suck at life

Wow that sounds just like me.

Rejected Pre-Secondary
Indiana University
Mayo Medical School
University of Nebraska
University of Tennessee
Wake Forest University

Rejected Post-Secondary
Creighton University
University of Alabama
University of Miami
University of Oklahoma

ouch

Hey I feel your pain as when as a foolish freshman I got a single thankfully never repeated F that to this day is the reason that I grimace :mad: whenever I even think of my hapless transcript :thumbdown: and ailing 3.36 +pity+.