Does anyone have Organic Chem slides from last semester I could prestudy (if that's allowed)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SterlingMaloryArcher

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like posted in your blackboard as a powerpoint. I'd really appreciate it. Inbox me? Thanks. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Enjoy whatever down time you have. Pre-studying is bad.

Reactions: 1 users
Chill, sleep, enjoy your winter break.

Pre-studying will make zero difference in the long run (aka after like the first week of class).

Members don't see this ad :)
Enjoy whatever down time you have. Pre-studying is bad.

Chill, sleep, enjoy your winter break.

Pre-studying will make zero difference in the long run (aka after like the first week of class).

Thanks but pre-studying really works for me. Taking it this summer and forming a general context of the main concepts is all I want to do with lecture slides and Khan.

Which organic?

From personal experience, I recommend getting the textbook (if you haven't already), look at your prof's syllabus, and start learning the reactions in the chapters that he/she listed off. I can't argue w/ enjoying your winter break as mentioned above either.

Reactions: 3 users
Which organic?

From personal experience, I recommend getting the textbook (if you haven't already), look at your prof's syllabus, and start learning the reactions in the chapters that he/she listed off. I can't argue w/ enjoying your winter break as mentioned above either.

Organic 1 and/or 2

I have friends who pre-studied Ochem and they aced the class so you do you. Have you thought about buying a review book for orgo it will have all the info you will need

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Organic Chemistry As a Second Language. I recommend it.

Reactions: 8 users
Slides do no good for Organic Chem. I recommend getting your textbook early and start reading through the chapters and working practice problems. I’m like you, I get stir crazy over break and I like to look at material in advance (though this break I’m actually taking it easy for once).

Last edited:
Thanks but pre-studying really works for me. Taking it this summer and forming a general context of the main concepts is all I want to do with lecture slides and Khan.

Khan was helpful but so is master organic chemistry online. Also check out: Spectroscopy Problems it was very helpful to learn the spectroscopy problems

IGNORE EVERYONE ELSE

Buy Kleins organic chemistry ed 2. It is white and has vials on the front. READ THE BOOK. love it. Become it.

IGNORE EVERYONE ELSE

If you want to pre-study save yourself the time and just read this book. David Klein is the author of this book as well as most of the Orgo textbooks such as the one recommended above.

Reactions: 4 users
Another vote for orgo as a second language by klein. I used both books for each semester of orgo. It seriously saved me.

Members don't see this ad :)

I could not stress this enough. THIS BOOK IS AMAZING!! It goes through every single topic in a way that is easily understood.

Kaplan MCAT book. It goes through all the basics.

Pre-studying an actual lecture organic chemistry book sounds tedious to me.

Pre-studying organic chemistry slides would be difficult to take advantage of because different universities may focus on different things here...

Personally, I didn't find OSL that helpful. It makes sense reading it in retrospect but it didn't help me when I was first learning it. You need to find what works for you, so try a couple different approaches. For me it was just about working problems and then figuring out why I got them right or wrong and learning Ochem in a way that made sense to me. I missed a perfect score on the ACS ochem exam by 1 point and finished 30 mins early for whatever that's worth :D

Personally, I didn't find OSL that helpful. It makes sense reading it in retrospect but it didn't help me when I was first learning it. You need to find what works for you, so try a couple different approaches. For me it was just about working problems and then figuring out why I got them right or wrong and learning Ochem in a way that made sense to me. I missed a perfect score on the ACS ochem exam by 1 point and finished 30 mins early for whatever that's worth :D

What's ACS ochem exam?

2nd language is fine for a study SUPPLEMENT. you need to buy an actual textbook though. Make sure you get Klein's textbook

This may be an unpopular opinion but I found Organic Chemistry as a second language quite useless. The concepts it teaches are far too basic. The organic chemistry class I took at my college went into way more detail and went over a ton of concepts not in the book. As others have said you could use it as a supplement (just be aware that your class most likely will quickly surpass the scope of the books) but if you are really looking to study up on it I would simply review/read the text book (if you know which text book you are going to be using).

This may be an unpopular opinion but I found Organic Chemistry as a second language quite useless. The concepts it teaches are far too basic. The organic chemistry class I took at my college went into way more detail and went over a ton of concepts not in the book. As others have said you could use it as a supplement (just be aware that your class most likely will quickly surpass the scope of the books) but if you are really looking to study up on it I would simply review/read the text book (if you know which text book you are going to be using).

Well of course it's a supplement with basic concepts, and any class worth its salt will go into much heavier detail. But you can't master the higher level concepts until you've mastered the rudiments. Which is exactly why the book is perfect for pre-studying as OP wants to do.

Prestudy for orgo helped me tons and made the class easy. The textbook would likely take you far to long to get through and slides are a waste. Get the David Klein it is a light read and makes things make sense!

American Chemical Society’s standardized organic chemistry exam aka final exam hell. Just wait. You’ll see.

Haha that exam actually saved my grade. Our prof was SO HARD that the ACS exam was actually easy. He was the only professor available to us, so we had him for the entire year. So. Much. Pain.

Haha that exam actually saved my grade. Our prof was SO HARD that the ACS exam was actually easy. He was the only professor available to us, so we had him for the entire year. So. Much. Pain.

Yeah personally I didn’t think it was too bad either. I managed to pull A’s in both ochem 1 and 2 but I hear other students struggled hard with the ASC exams.

I’m selling organic chemistry 5th ed by Marc Loudon set. Pm if interested.

Narrator: ... and Oso never visited the pre-medical forum again

For real though, seems like you got some solid recs, OP. Good luck!

if you really want to pre study, you can either: watch khan cause its free or study from a mcat ochem review book.

Kaplan and EK books in my opinion are review and assume you know a lot of the material already.

Kleins textbook and his OSL were very helpful together.

But as others have said, don't prestudy and just enjoy your time off. IMO, learning the first couple of chapters of OCHEM won't make much sense unless you have a good professor to kind of structure it for you and help you see the big picture.

I got Organic Chemistry as a Second Language - First semester topics and THANK YOU to anyone who recommended it, I am ordering Second Semester Topics too.
Now my question is, are there other pre-study goldmines you guys would recommend for physics or biochemistry? Are MCAT subject reviews really good for pre-studying though? I thought about using those throughout the course.

I got Organic Chemistry as a Second Language - First semester topics and THANK YOU to anyone who recommended it, I am ordering Second Semester Topics too.
Now my question is, are there other pre-study goldmines you guys would recommend for physics or biochemistry? Are MCAT subject reviews really good for pre-studying though? I thought about using those throughout the course.

I used the Kaplan biochem book while going through my bio/biochem class. It helped fill in the gaps. For physics, it depends on how you take to it. I personally wouldn’t prestudy physics—I would spend that time reviewing trig identities and your algebra (and calc if you’re doing calc based).