Does anyone know about Dyscalculia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

equine92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've always struggled in math and never been able to grasp number concepts. Growing up I just thought I was stupid...until my third year in college. I was taking an abnormal psych class and read about Dyscalculia and suddenly I had an epiphany. While I'm not formally diagnosed yet ( looking for a way). Does anyone know about this type of LD? It seems only the UK has done research on this.

Members don't see this ad.

Other names for this include math learning disability and math learning disorder. There's actually quite a bit of published research on this topic... If you have specific questions, let us know.

Depends on whether we're talking about an LD or something that was acquired via disease/lesion/pathology. Generally if it's developmental, we'll call it a math LD of some sort, of it's acquired we'll use the dys/alcalculia moniker. As for research, I believe there are mounds of it, more than just the UK. Granted, as an adult person, I am more familiar with the acquired type than the developmental.

Members don't see this ad :)
Differences between impairment in multiplication vs impairment in subtraction aide in more specific localization. As does differences in numerical conceptualization vs difficulties in carrying from the tens/hundreds/etc places.

While interesting from a neurological viewpoint, the treatment is pretty much just tutoring.

If you're looking for diagnostic clarity, maybe go to your college's disability services office and get a psychoeducational evaluation.

Just curious...would universities for doctoral studies or even ETS who administers the GRE make accommodations for those with math learning disability? If so, what would they do? If not, what are some alternative options to address the math learning disability?