Does anyone know how adcoms consider grade inflation/deflation over time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gauss44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In other words, if my undergraduate university use to be more difficult when I went to school 10 years ago, than it is today, is this going to hurt me?

Longer explanation of the same thing (read only if you want): Back when I went to my undergraduate school, I heard that practically no one from that school made it into medical school. (I went to that school for other reasons prior to looking into that important detail. Long story short, I didn't know that anyone like me could ever become a doctor, and found out otherwise after I had started school.) These days, many people go to that university and continue on to medical school. I don't know if adcoms will assume that my school has always been exactly how it is currently, or if they will consider that the school was more difficult to get good grades at back 10 years ago.

Members don't see this ad.

Your grades are very old, they will weigh your cumulative to the effect of screens then look at your most recent grades more thoroughly. I doubt many if any adcoms look at school difficulty just due to logistics.
Do well on the MCAT and it will remove any doubts.

Grade inflation is rarely mentioned in our conversations. We view a grade is a grade. Sometimes it might be a factor in driving a borderline candidate over the accept line, but I can't recall a time where it would have put someone into the waitlist category.

So, no one's going to say "they used to be super hard then, so this guy/gal is a star"

In other words, if my undergraduate university use to be more difficult when I went to school 10 years ago, than it is today, is this going to hurt me?

Longer explanation of the same thing (read only if you want): Back when I went to my undergraduate school, I heard that practically no one from that school made it into medical school. (I went to that school for other reasons prior to looking into that important detail. Long story short, I didn't know that anyone like me could ever become a doctor, and found out otherwise after I had started school.) These days, many people go to that university and continue on to medical school. I don't know if adcoms will assume that my school has always been exactly how it is currently, or if they will consider that the school was more difficult to get good grades at back 10 years ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, no one's going to say "they used to be super hard then, so this guy/gal is a star"

I was more concerned that they would think I lived on "Easy Street." Thanks for your answer.

Last edited:
Unless your old school was Johns Hopkins University, no one cares about your deflation/inflation. JHU is the notable exception because they are notorious deflaters, but since the education at JHU is unparalleled, students are given a pass.