Does anyone know if WashU allows deferrals?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BSizzle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been reading a lot of SDN this past year. From applying to interviewing to dealing with anxiety of the long wait, it's been one heck of a ride. I've always found a lot of what everyone has to say very helpful and insightful, so, my first post...

I'm planning on going to WashU this fall, but I'm still a little hesitant if medicine really is my true heart's desire. After attending some classes and speaking with some very disillusioned doctors, I've come to question whether or not I have the mental and physical strength and capacity to become a physician. Does anyone know if WashU allows you to defer acceptance for a year? Has anyone done so? If yes, what are some reasons for deferring?

Right now, I really have no idea what I'm going to do in my year off besides moving to LA and finding a job and possibly getting my EMT licensce. I'm not sure if "I don't know if I want to be a doctor, but I hope to find myself in this year off" will be well accepted by Dean Dodson, so please...any words of advice would be helpful! thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

I think if you worked hard enough and suffered to get into WashU, then you just need more confidence in yourself. Make no mistake, med school is hard. But I think you begin to have new appreciation for things that you never thought you could do 5 years ago.

Of course, if you do plan to take a year off, that will be one more person that will go to WashU and that might make their day. But don't let that be part of your decisions. It's all about what you want!

Go over to the Allopathic forum, and you'll see that you're not the only one who's getting cold feet. It's all normal.

Take the acceptance. Enroll and then if you don't think medicine is for you then you can leave the school. You can't really know if you want or don't want to be a doctor until you get in the thick of it. Medical school is the closest to what being a doctor is like that we will experience so far so it can only give you more information then you have now.