Does couples matching work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Glees

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My partner is a year below me in the program and the two of us are trying to decide whether or not couples matching is a good idea. Does anyone have experience with or advice for couples matching that they'd be willing to share? Is it going to cut our chances significantly of being matched?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes it can work. I've seen couples end up at the same site. Most often this happens bc both people are a good fit for the site. Sometimes this also happens when one individual in the couple is a rockstar at sites really want that person and are happy to accommodate the partner to make it happen.

I know two couples who went through the couples match, and it worked out well for both! One of the partners in one of the couples took on a bit of a commute to make it work, but everyone was really happy and said the process was easy. When you rank, instead of ranking single sites you rank combinations of options. If you go that route, I'd recommend applying to several sites within commuting distance of the locations you're looking at to maximize the number of combinations you have to rank.

Members don't see this ad :)
Couples match won't reduce your chances of matching as long as you put all possible permutations of sites into your final ranking list. Basically, if you're trying to match to the same city/area but you're still willing to match at other sites that would take you, your odds don't go down. It's just a more convoluted ranking system. Details here:

https://www.appic.org/Match/FAQs/Applicants/Couples

Definitely strategic to look at cities or geographic areas that have multiple programs that might be a decent fit for either/both of you. Also consider programs that are driving distance in lower cost-of-living areas - if you live in a place where your stipend goes further, that can help offset the costs of potentially living apart during the week and driving to see each other on weekends - whereas if you live in places that are either a) flying distance away or b) highly expensive cities in general, you may be more limited in making that year work for you.

Reactions: 1 user
I didn't realize it because I didn't do it, but now that I have a student going through the process it actually seems really fair and useful for applicants. As Temp said, both applicants enter every permutation of acceptable possibilities (including possibilities where only one of the couple matches). So, you don't at all have to end up at the same site; one of you can take a VA and one of you can be at the uni CC in the same city, for example. Or, you can find places where you could live halfway between more distant sites, etc.

just to make it clear, you can do permutations of matching across the country or only one person matching. This way you guarantee every possible outcome, including only one partner matching.

Couples match is actually more beneficial b/c you get to decide exactly on the possible acceptable outcomes and there is no reduced chance of matching.

Reactions: 1 users