Does Feb or later interview mean waitlist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gumshoe

LARGE Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the answer to that question? Past this month, are all interviews for wait lists at most schools?

I'd like to check the feedback.

(in specific, anyone know about Chicago schools?)

Gummy Bears

Members don't see this ad.

Schools must offer the number of aceptances equal to to the size of their entering class by March 15 according to AMCAS, so I think some of the January interviews and maybe a few of the early Feb. interviews may get reviewed before this cutoff-especially at some of the slower schools. I have no idea about anywhere in IL though.

I did notice that I was offered an interview at Mt. Sinai the same time as someone else, except that my interview is scheduled in late March and their's is in late January...aka I am obviously interviewing for a waitlist spot and the other person is not. :rolleyes:

I'm sure that an interview may result in an acceptance at virtually any point in the process, but it certainly becomes less likely the further into the interview season you get.

If you're looking at a school that didn't begin interviewing until November (OHSU), you're probably still fine in February. Other schools, I wouldn't be excessively optimistic....

Members don't see this ad :)
if its an all out rolling school, then yeah its likely its for a waitlist....if its non or semi rolling, then no, you've got a decent shot

nero

Originally posted by Gumshoe

(in specific, anyone know about Chicago schools?)

Gummy Bears

I believe that Northwestern accepts the bulk of their interviewees in March, so you're still in good shape if this is one of the schools you're interviewing at.

When I interviewed at Loyola, they said that those interviewing before their Jan. 27 meeting could get acceptance offers. Those interviewing after the meeting are interviewing for waitlist spots. (But around 1/3 of their class comes off the waitlist, eventually.)

Hey gumshoe!
Just from reading everyone's posts I guess it sounds like every school differs. If I were you I would e-mail the school and ask when their class tends to fill up. As long as you do it politely, I don't think anyone will have a problem, plus it shows an interest in the school!

You know these threads are funny, I mean if you have an acceptance alreayd and you get a feb interivew, than dont worry you are in. If you dont hvae an acceptance already and all you have is feb interviews- well thats all ya got so give it your best and see what happens! LOTS of movement off waitlists... hey im in this spot and just gonna give it all i got.. no worries there is always next year! stay positive

If you have a late interview at a rolling admission school, call them once a week, or even every few days, to ask whether there have been cancellations for earlier interview times.

My story: Mount Sinai originally invited me to interview in mid-March. When I called to confirm the date, I asked whether they had a "wait list" of some kind for earlier interview dates. They said "no", but I could call every once in a while to check for cancellations. I called a few days later, and a date 2 weeks earlier was available, but I declined it due to a conflict. I called a few days after that, and January 22nd was available!

So the point of my story is, don't disappointedly resign yourself to a late interview if you really love the school (Sinai is my top choice). Try other ways to get what you want. But above all, if you're planning on calling an admissions office multiple times, be very very nice to them. They have a difficult job. And, more often than not, they will remember talking to you!

I just read that post and it inspired me to call Drexel, I had an interview all the way in unrealistic, --please let me spend money to get on the back of a waitlist-- May 5th. I just got off the phone with them and I got a March 11 date. Although not the best, its almost two months closer, so that makes me fell alot better.