Does good customer service not apply to (Walmart) pharmacies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SterlingMaloryArcher

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went to the Walmart pharmacy today and for some odd reason, my insurance only covers name brand, which they were out of stock but will be there Thursday. So I could wait 4 days, or pay $200 out of pocket for the generic.

I'm usually not one to complain or live by "the customer is always right" BS but IMO their ordering problem IS NOT MY PROBLEM. In order for me to use a different pharmacy, I would have to go back to the physician and have them write a whole new script (oh and you bet I'm changing pharmacies next time I go in.) I shouldn't have to wait 4 days, or pay $200. It's their problem.

Do/should pharmacies substitute generic/name brand for same price if they're out of stock?

Members don't see this ad.

I went to the Walmart pharmacy today and for some odd reason, my insurance only covers name brand, which they were out of stock but will be there Thursday. So I could wait 4 days, or pay $200 out of pocket for the generic.

I'm usually not one to complain or live by "the customer is always right" BS but IMO their ordering problem IS NOT MY PROBLEM. In order for me to use a different pharmacy, I would have to go back to the physician and have them write a whole new script (oh and you bet I'm changing pharmacies next time I go in.) I shouldn't have to wait 4 days, or pay $200. It's their problem.

Do/should pharmacies substitute generic/name brand for same price if they're out of stock?

I went to the doctor today and for some odd reason, my insurance only covers that physician, which they were out of appointments but will be there Thursday. So I could wait 4 days, or pay $200 out of pocket for another physician.

I'm usually not one to complain or live by "the customer is always right" BS but IMO their scheduling problem IS NOT MY PROBLEM. In order for me to use a different physician, I would have to go back to the physician and have make a whole new appointment (oh and you bet I'm changing physcians next time I go in.) I shouldn't have to wait 4 days, or pay $200. It's their problem.

Do/should physicians substitute appointments for same price if they're out of them?

GTFO you entitled jerk.

But seriously, expecting every pharmacy to have every single brand and generic in stock is unreasonable. Go back to your home snowflake. PS the people at the pharmacy are probably glad that you transferred and will let the new pharmacy know how much of a jerk you are, so when the new place treats you like they should, now you know why.

Reactions: 4 users
I went to the doctor today and for some odd reason, my insurance only covers that physician, which they were out of appointments but will be there Thursday. So I could wait 4 days, or pay $200 out of pocket for another physician.

I'm usually not one to complain or live by "the customer is always right" BS but IMO their scheduling problem IS NOT MY PROBLEM. In order for me to use a different physician, I would have to go back to the physician and have make a whole new appointment (oh and you bet I'm changing physcians next time I go in.) I shouldn't have to wait 4 days, or pay $200. It's their problem.

Do/should physicians substitute appointments for same price if they're out of them?

GTFO you entitled jerk.

But seriously, expecting every pharmacy to have every single brand and generic in stock is unreasonable. Go back to your home snowflake. PS the people at the pharmacy are probably glad that you transferred and will let the new pharmacy know how much of a jerk you are, so when the new place treats you like they should, now you know why.

Mutatis Mutandis not the same thing.

So I guess that answers my question. Apparently not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most brand name medications are not going to be readily in stock as they are not as commonly purchased. This isn't necessarily the Pharmacy's ordering problem, rather simple supply and demand principles. It's nonsensical to expect a pharmacy to have every single product available.

Depending on what it is, Walgreen's can order most items and have it in the store the very next day! :) Your insurance plan has more blame here as their formulary requires a product that most pharmacies most likely do not stock. Most likely your insurance struck a deal with the manufacturer of the brand name to only pay for their product.

Also, don't expect a pharmacy to swap out the brand/generic and run it at the same price. Insurance doesn't work that way, the pharmacy bills the insurance for the exact product being dispensed. Most brand name medications are also much much more expensive. That's why a generic exists, because the patent for the brand name medication ran out and the manufacturing company doesn't have a monopoly on it anymore. The generic is usually always cheaper. If the Pharmacy buys the brand name at $400, and the generic at $200 you can't expect them substitute them at the same cost to the consumer, as they would lose under their profit margin.

As noted, insurance doesn't work that way. Also since you have the script on file, they should be able to transfer it immediately to another pharmacy down the street (call and make sure it's in stock first, of course). You shouldn't need to get a new script.

As noted, insurance doesn't work that way. Also since you have the script on file, they should be able to transfer it immediately to another pharmacy down the street (call and make sure it's in stock first, of course). You shouldn't need to get a new script.
I'm assuming based on the new prescription needed, several days to order, etc that it's a C-II.

However, take up the issue with your insurance. The pharmacy has product A and your insurance says they'll only pay for product B. How is that the pharmacy's fault?

Should Costco substitute Kirkland toilet paper with Charmin toilet paper for the same price if they're out of stock? The answer to that question and the answer to your question is the same: no. If they don't have it, they don't have it. You either wait for the next shipment of Kirkland brand toilet paper or you buy the Charmin toilet paper at a higher price. Obviously in this analogy you can certainly go to another Costco to buy the Kirkland brand toilet paper you so need. However, judging from the scenario, it's likely a CII medication (likely sent electronically), which by law cannot be transferred between pharmacy. This will not change regardless of which pharmacy you transfer to.

If your insurance doesn't cover the brand name product, how is that the pharmacy's problem? The pharmacy is not required to give you medication for free. If you cannot pay for the medication that they have in stock, that's an issue between you and your insurance company.

Reactions: 1 user