does having a dual degree help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tony.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who here is currently working on or already has a Master of Science in Vision Science?
NEWENCO is offering this new dual OD/MS degree that I could potentially be a part of. What are the advantages and disadvantages to being in a dual degree such as this?
In addition, how can this dual degree benefit optometrists in terms of landing a good job after graduation?

Members don't see this ad.

please......

one at a time.....

:laugh:

the most prominent advantage (i think) to having a dual degree is having more experience in research. i don't know if you will necessarily have more advantage over a regular od as far as clinical practice, but more for research or teaching. and again, it really depends on what you want to be doing. if you are highly interested beyond clinical practice, i think the ms/od route is key.

when i interviewed with suny, dr johnston told me that very few go the joint od/ms or phd route. but if anything, i think it's best to get in touch with newenco and speak to a faculty who has a od/ms route.

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems like most people who go for a dual degree are interested in going into (or leaving the door open to) academia. At SUNY -- and I may be wrong about this -- the Master's program is essentially free (you don't have to pay anything for it on top of your OD tuition), so I think a few enthusiastic students go for it for that reason as well.

My impression is that it doesn't give you an edge in applying for clinical positions. There are many other ways to "shine" -- doing a residency, being involved in student associations (Lion's, SVOSH, AOSA), etc.

My impression is that it doesn't give you an edge in applying for clinical positions. There are many other ways to "shine" --

really? I was under the impression that having an MS in Vision would help you specialize in a certain field of optometry....? to be honest, I'd rather do clinicals than research or teaching. besides, there is more room for social advancement in doing clinicals, right?