Does having a good job help you get into medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thestrugglingturtle

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I work as a Pharma consultant. I was lucky to get this job after an SMP. I earn 6 figures, and get to travel a lot (business travel is always a lot of fun, and we only stay at 4 or 5 star hotels).

Will this help me get into medical school, because it will show my interest? I am 27. Should I mention my salary and travel? (I will be discreet and allude to it). I will earn more in my current job (when you factor in the cost of medical school and years of no or low income). This will show that I don't want to go into medicine b/c of money, right?

Will it make up for a low GPA and SMP GPA of 3.1? I want to do another SMP. I want to be an research physician. I work with them a lot on clinical trials, and that is my dream.

Thank you all so much!

Members don't see this ad.

No, you shouldn’t list your salary and travel. This will make you come off as a conceited do****.

No, your jobs will be considered separately from academic performance unless you were in some sort of SES situation that necessitated you working DURING earning that 3.1.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I wont make up for low stats. It will however, allow you to apply to as many schools as your heart and bank account desire.

Reactions: 9 users
Well it definitely should help significantly. If it doesn't then this system is even more flawed than I initially believed.

Should I mention my salary and travel? (I will be discreet and allude to it).

Good heavens, no. Not only are those things irrelevant, but it might make an adcom wonder if you're really willing to give all this up for many years of no/low income during med/residency years.

Reactions: 1 user
n=1, but I have a friend working in a somewhat similar position. She actually has great stats, was complete early, and applied intelligently and broadly; but she's only had 3 interviews so far. I do wonder if it's because med schools want to churn out physicians who they believe will most likely be taking care of people on the frontlines, instead of supporting those who seem that they might just go back to the corporate world to make even more money. You'll have to craft your story carefully.

I'm sorry but you're toast.

I read his posts and it says his SMP GPA is a 3.4, with an undergrad GPA of 2.9. I assume he averaged them to get ~3.15.

I would not call a 3.4 in an SMP "struggling" since its a B+ average, but its unfortunately not a good look for someone who wanted to overcome a sub 3 GPA with a last ditch effort program.

The job will be a nice thing to add to your application but it will not be a game changer.

Your SMP GPA of 3.4 paired with your 516 MCAT will definitely get you looked at at some DO schools, and maybe even your state MD schools, depending on what state that is.

Well it definitely should help significantly. If it doesn't then this system is even more flawed than I initially believed.

With all due respect I think you did go about things a bit differently than most...I'm not sure it's a flawed system.

Work experience should help but it can't make up for lackluster academics. Nobody will be impressed by your salary or benefits (not that I think you're bragging) and it's not really relevant to the admissions process otherwise. Clinical or research experience is valuable though, so with the right academics it would definitely be a help.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

If OP can get a good MCAT, it will show growth. However, why would you want to list your salary? If it's because you think AMCAS asks for salaries like job applications, they don't. Describe what you learned from the experience. If a server, say you learned to become more patient and manage your stress with difficult patients because you will face a similar situation in medicine.

If OP can get a good MCAT, it will show growth. However, why would you want to list your salary? If it's because you think AMCAS asks for salaries like job applications, they don't. Describe what you learned from the experience. If a server, say you learned to become more patient and manage your stress with difficult patients because you will face a similar situation in medicine.

he has a 516 according to his posts. i really think he should be fine for a lot of DO schools and even state MD schools unless he is from Cali or something

Members don't see this ad :)
516 is good. As long as their passion is consistent and matches with a school's mission statement, I see no reason OP should not have a reasonable shot.

Mission statements seem trivial, but they play a big role in whether or not to accept you. Don't be bummed out if you're rejected because of a school's mission statement not aligning with your passion. It means you probably would not have had a great experience there.

he has a 516 according to his posts. i really think he should be fine for a lot of DO schools and even state MD schools unless he is from Cali or something

Thank you everyone. I got a 3.1 SMP as final GPA. Trouble is, I messed up very badly on a few final classes. I was expecting a 3.4.

I'm thinking about another SMP. Not sure what to do? Do I have no hope for medical school?

At my job I learnt a lot of organization and learning skills. I want to go back to use and use these skills, and I think I can get a high GPA.

I had very poor skills coming into this job and was worried that I would be fired. After a few months, I improved dramatically and got promoted. I learnt useful skills, and now I want to go back to school and use those skills to get a good GPA.

With 3.1, I won't get into DO schools. Thank you everyone!

No and no

Thank you. Would you recommend another SMP, or do you think I should just give up? I think, looking at such a poor grade history, medical schools will just think (and maybe they are correct), that I cannot do it.

But I think I can. For example, when I first started work, I did so bad, I was close to being fired. But after I learnt good skills from co-workers, I am doing extremely good now, and got promoted. So I want to go back to school, and I want to use new skills for school.

Also, I want to re-take MCAT to show that I work hard and can do better. I know if sounds dumb, but I have such poor grades. After college, I did an independent post-bacc and then SMP and got all low grades.

Thank you. Would you recommend another SMP, or do you think I should just give up? I think, looking at such a poor grade history, medical schools will just think (and maybe they are correct), that I cannot do it.

But I think I can. For example, when I first started work, I did so bad, I was close to being fired. But after I learnt good skills from co-workers, I am doing extremely good now, and got promoted. So I want to go back to school, and I want to use new skills for school.

Also, I want to re-take MCAT to show that I work hard and can do better. I know if sounds dumb, but I have such poor grades. After college, I did an independent post-bacc and then SMP and got all low grades.

If you have a 516 like other posters have mentioned, DO NOT RETAKE THE MCAT.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

I think it's time to move on.

I think it's time to move on.

Do you think most AdComms would think that way? What if I tell them that I gained a lot of skills in my job, and that, I think I can do better using these skills? Do you think that most would still not care? Thank you again,

The trouble is that, I had ADHD but never got treated for it until I graduated college. And even then, I did not get any therapy, only pills. Now in a job, I am learning a lot of skills that I should have learnt in high school. So I just didn't have any of these note-taking or organization or time-management skills that you need to do well.

Do you think most AdComms would think that way? What if I tell them that I gained a lot of skills in my job, and that, I think I can do better using these skills? Do you think that most would still not care? Thank you again,
Your skills? You need to show us that you can handle med school, not vocational school.

Reactions: 4 users
Your skills? You need to show us that you can handle med school, not vocational school.

Thank you. By skills: I mean Organizational, time-management, note-taking skills.

I do a lot of note-taking here, and I have to remember the important points. Also, I have to sit still for long periods of time.

When I first started my job, I was basically incapable for sitting still. I could not sit still and could not take notes. I was doing so badly. Lucky, they put me next to someone who is hyper-organized and disciplined, so that I could learn from her.

So I was just thinking, I had all those bad habits when I did the SMP. So now with these good habits and skills, I can do a lot better.

In my job, it was the first time that I learnt these good habits. Trouble is that, all my life I was a loner with no friends. In college, I just stayed at home all day. so I never learnt good skills from other students. On top of that, I never got ADHD medicine (which for me makes a huge difference, now that I am taking it) or therapy. so I was just doing all these bad habits.

Do you think AdComs would consider this?

I know, it sounds like excuses. But I just think I can do a lot better now. I am doing an EdX course to see if I can improve, and it does seem so. Thank you so much for your help and kind consideration!

Thank you. By skills: I mean Organizational, time-management, note-taking skills. I do a lot of note-taking here, and I have to remember the important points. Also, I have to sit still for long periods of time.
Being a good student shows that you have these. By having a 3.4 in an SMP, it shows that you will be at high risk for struggling in med school. You may have some luck with the newest DO schools, but you'd be likley DOA at mine a good number of others. Definitely lethal for MD.

So I was just thinking, I had all those bad habits when I did the SMP. So now with these good habits and skills, I can do a lot better.
I think I've interviewed people who have done a second SMP. If you feel compelled to do, then go for it, but you're going to need a 3.7+ GPA to convince Adcoms that you can handle med school. In another way of looking at it, you failed your first audition.

In my job, it was the first time that I learnt these good habits. Trouble is that, all my life I was a loner with no friends. In college, I just stayed at home all day. so I never learnt good skills from other students. On top of that, I never got ADHD medicine (which for me makes a huge difference, now that I am taking it) or therapy. so I was just doing all these bad habits.

Only if you do better, lots better, the second time around.

I doubt it would matter much. You have so many high-flying applicants that would have been likely working in investment banking, consulting, Big Law, or other high-paying sectors in the economy had they not been applying to medical school. I don't remember talking much about my airline management jobs during interviews. Interestingly, I talked quite a bit about my pizza delivery and photography experiences at my prior job interviews. Even though we would like to think of it as a Golden Ticket to medical school, it isn't. Nothing will replace your grades and MCAT.

Very true. Whenever I see threads regarding entry-level clinical jobs, I say that medical school starts you at step zero in terms of clinical skills. If these hands-on skills from these clinical jobs are largely irrelevant to becoming a physician, then you could only imagine how completely unrelated job skills will pertain to medicine. I think that simple things like getting along with people have probably been the most helpful thing before medical school.

Perhaps I am misreading something. Because if not, I have no idea what planet some other users are living on saying this guy has no chance of admissions with a 516 MCAT. That is like the 95th percentile. Even with a 3.1 gpa that still puts you in contention for allopathic programs (and would basically guarantee you admission into whatever DO program you like). Also why is everyone bashing OP for his job experience? If I were in charge of admissions, I would certainly take someone with years of proven success in the real world over some overzealous 21 year old nerd who probably has no idea of what life is like beyond a classroom.

Continue your current position. You are in an excellent position to get involved in the management of pharm research at some point without all the messiness of medical school and med school debt. Enjoy those 4 star hotels while the med school applicants are sleeping on someone's couch the night before an interview.

Reactions: 8 users
Continue your current position. You are in an excellent position to get involved in the management of pharm research at some point without all the messiness of medical school and med school debt. Enjoy those 4 star hotels while the med school applicants are sleeping on someone's couch the night before an interview.

But I want to be a doctor.

Thank you. By skills: I mean Organizational, time-management, note-taking skills. I do a lot of note-taking here, and I have to remember the important points. Also, I have to sit still for long periods of time.
Being a good student shows that you have these. By having a 3.4 in an SMP, it shows that you will be at high risk for struggling in med school. You may have some luck with the newest DO schools, but you'd be likley DOA at mine a good number of others. Definitely lethal for MD.

I think I've interviewed people who have done a second SMP. If you feel compelled to do, then go for it, but you're going to need a 3.7+ GPA to convince Adcoms that you can handle med school. In another way of looking at it, you failed your first audition.

Thank you so much for that advice. It was really helpful and honest. I'm applying for a second SMP now. I am doing free EdX courses to make sure I am improving and have the appropriate skills to do well academically. Thank you again.

Perhaps I am misreading something. Because if not, I have no idea what planet some other users are living on saying this guy has no chance of admissions with a 516 MCAT. That is like the 95th percentile. Even with a 3.1 gpa that still puts you in contention for allopathic programs (and would basically guarantee you admission into whatever DO program you like). Also why is everyone bashing OP for his job experience? If I were in charge of admissions, I would certainly take someone with years of proven success in the real world over some overzealous 21 year old nerd who probably has no idea of what life is like beyond a classroom.

A low GPA is bad, because medical school will be even more difficult. Thank you for your advice though. I work a lot in clinical trials. I can write about how I want to be a research physician.

A low GPA is bad, because medical school will be even more difficult. Thank you for your advice though. I work a lot in clinical trials. I can write about how I want to be a research physician.

To be a research physician, you need to successfully complete medical school. With your SMP you've already shown that you would be at the bottom of the class in medical school. Ergo, medical schools will be reluctant to take you when they could take others who have been better day-to-day performers in the classroom and have excellent MCATs. Plus, the world is clamoring for primary care providers, not research physicians so the schools that might be willing to overlook a lower GPA in a candidate who is likely to do "ok" in medical school (as you did in the SMP) and then go on to serve an otherwise underserved community.

If you could not be a physician, what alternative career would you choose?

Reactions: 2 users

That isn't necessarily true. The biggest indicator of success in medical school is your MCAT score. Especially if you were a science major, the courses you took in undergrad (as well as your SMP) were likely more challenging in terms of material than what you will take in medical school. The issue with medical school is the volume. The content of most medical school classes is very straight forward.

i would just like to say that a 3.1 SMP applies to this information, but i dont really understand why a 3.4 would. its not that bad is it ? i know a 3.6-3.7 is ideal for SMP’s but still a 3.4 is hardly failing it

To be a research physician, you need to successfully complete medical school. With your SMP you've already shown that you would be at the bottom of the class in medical school. Ergo, medical schools will be reluctant to take you when they could take others who have been better day-to-day performers in the classroom and have excellent MCATs. Plus, the world is clamoring for primary care providers, not research physicians so the schools that might be willing to overlook a lower GPA in a candidate who is likely to do "ok" in medical school (as you did in the SMP) and then go on to serve an otherwise underserved community.

If you could not be a physician, what alternative career would you choose?

Primary care physicians can do research as well. I am thinking of a primary care physician. They can do preventive care research, which is extremely useful. Also, as I am 27, it would be practice as well.

I guess, if I cannot be a physician, then I will have to continue with my current job. My current job is good, no problem with it.

I am thinking of another SMP. Or maybe that Harvard online program.

That isn't necessarily true. The biggest indicator of success in medical school is your MCAT score. Especially if you were a science major, the courses you took in undergrad (as well as your SMP) were likely more challenging in terms of material than what you will take in medical school. The issue with medical school is the volume. The content of most medical school classes is very straight forward.

I applied last cycle. In the feedback time, every school told me, its my GPA. Every school said, "Everything is good, except your GPA."

I applied last cycle. In the feedback time, every school told me, its my GPA. Every school said, "Everything is good, except your GPA."

If they didn't let you in just for that, that seems pretty unreasonable. I would advise against doing a second masters program as it could turn out to be a waste of money and will cost you another year of your life (no offense but you aren't getting any younger). I would honestly go to an offshore school in your case. It is unlikely based on your MCAT score that you would be an unsuccessful student there.

If they didn't let you in just for that, that seems pretty unreasonable. I would advise against doing a second masters program as it could turn out to be a waste of money and will cost you another year of your life (no offense but you aren't getting any younger). I would honestly go to an offshore school in your case. It is unlikely based on your MCAT score that you would be an unsuccessful student there.

But then I won't get into a residency program...

Is a 3.1 significantly below average in an SMP then? I would think that B's in med school would be alright but maybe SMPs are somewhat inflated...?

i would just like to say that a 3.1 SMP applies to this information, but i dont really understand why a 3.4 would. its not that bad is it ? i know a 3.6-3.7 is ideal for SMP’s but still a 3.4 is hardly failing it
At my school, we see that people who have < 3.5 STRUGGLE in med school, to the tune of failing classes and/or failing Boards. And SDNers who have reinvented themselves via SMP and made it into MD schools (and a lot of DO) have SMP GPAs of 3.7+.

So yes, it IS that bad.

Correct, and given the academic troubles you've head, you're even more likely to be failed out in the Carib. Their predatory business model depends upon it.

Is a 3.1 significantly below average in an SMP then? I would think that B's in med school would be alright but maybe SMPs are somewhat inflated...?

Not everybody does well in an SMP. They don't go to med school (this represents about 2/3rds of my current MS students). So you can't look at what an avg GPA in an SMP. You need to find people who excelled in them. Another way of saying this is a 3.1 may be avg for an SMP class any given year, but it is not representative of those who went through it and made it to med school. it's very much like national UG GPA vs the median GPA for med school acceptees.

And grade inflation? These are med school classes, given by the same Faculty.

Reactions: 2 users

People on this forum tend to be overly dramatic with foreign medical schools...........Also what Goro said cannot be true because most people at DO schools have lower than a 3.5 GPA as well as a much lower MCAT than you have. You are of course free to do as you wish, but your chances of getting a residency without being able to attend a medical school of any kind are 0%. Did you apply to any DO schools? I cannot believe you did not get in to any with your stats. At the school I used to attend there was a guy with a 3.0/23 MCAT combo.

People on this forum tend to be overly dramatic with foreign medical schools...........Also what Goro said cannot be true because most people at DO schools have lower than a 3.5 GPA as well as a much lower MCAT than you have. You are of course free to do as you wish, but your chances of getting a residency without being able to attend a medical school of any kind are 0%. Did you apply to any DO schools? I cannot believe you did not get in to any with your stats. At the school I used to attend there was a guy with a 3.0/23 MCAT combo.

I applied to 2 DO schools. Trouble is, my SMP had a downward trend. I will apply DO this cycle as well as SMP. Thank you everyone so much!

@Rhabdoviridae Entering class of 2016 for osteopathic schools according to AACOM had a post-bac mean GPA of 3.70 and a graduate mean GPA of 3.63. It's ridiculous how on point Goro's comment was with respect to AACOMAS data with respect to mean bachelor's GPA and mean post-bac/master SMP GPA that you can find on page i of the document I linked for your convenience. [Source]

Surprised at the lack of understanding with respect to how SMP programs work. SMPs are the Hunger Games except you get to choose when you are ready to participate in the games. If you don't show up when it's your turn to show up as tribute then it's not the fault of administrators for looking down on your choice to elect for a do or die proposition. People are conflating in their minds SMP performance with Bachelor's GPA or a DIY Post-bac/BMS Master's Program with no correlation or linkage to a medical program. Also, my understanding is that a downward trend is expected in an SMP program if students aren't able to improve their learning skills from one semester to the next.

Last edited by a moderator:

How is the Caribbean working out for you? Glad to have switched from DO?

A 3.0/23 is pretty low -- is the guy on track to graduate on time? Was he a non-trad or out-of-the-ordinary in some way that made him a "high risk/high reward" candidate?

How is the Caribbean working out for you? Glad to have switched from DO?

A 3.0/23 is pretty low -- is the guy on track to graduate on time? Was he a non-trad or out-of-the-ordinary in some way that made him a "high risk/high reward" candidate?

Pretty well actually. And Yes, I'm glad I made the switch. I now get to live close to home, become an actual medical doctor, and start building connections in my home state where I would like to ultimately practice...........as for my former colleague, yes he is a traditional applicant who seemed pretty ordinary to me. He may have struggled here and there, but otherwise there was nothing that made him seem out of place.

Pretty well actually. And Yes, I'm glad I made the switch. I now get to live close to home, become an actual medical doctor, and start building connections in my home state where I would like to ultimately practice...........as for my former colleague, yes he is a traditional applicant who seemed pretty ordinary to me. He may have struggled here and there, but otherwise there was nothing that made him seem out of place.

Let us know in March (or the following March) where you match.

Be careful about noting that you will become an "actual medical doctor" as that could be considered an inflammatory comment in these parts given where you transferred from.

WOW so you actually left a DO program to go to Caribbean school? Thank you for the advice, I will apply to DO schools

Last edited:
Here is something that you could do, if you really want to be a doctor. You could become a PA and practice medicine as a PA for awhile. Then if you still want to be a physician, you can apply for a PA to DO bridge program.

LECOM has a program like this. I think it is worth checking out. The admission requirements are not the same (eg. No MCAT). It is not like you were applying from college or as a non-traditional student.

Instead of doing another SMP, why not go to PA school, and work for awhile. Then if you are still interested in becoming a physician, you would qualify for a PA to DO bridge program.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is something that you could do, if you really want to be a doctor. You could become a PA and practice medicine as a PA for awhile. Then if you still want to be a physician, you can apply for a PA to DO bridge program.

LECOM has a program like this. I think it is worth checking out. There is no MCAT and the admission requirements are not the same as if you were applying from college or as an non-traditional student.

I come from a family of Indians, and we all know how Indians think of doctors. The Indians worship doctors. Both my brother and sister are in medical school, my brother going to a highly-ranked one.

I was not afforded the opportunity to go to a good college. If I had gone to a good college, I would have learnt good study skills from others. I got accepted into a good college, but my mother did not want me to go because she was afraid that I would become a non-christian. My brother and sister went to a good college because they got into christian colleges. I did not apply to a christian college. So they learnt all the good study skills. I just had to go to a poop state school and live at home with no friends, so I could not learn the good skills.

On top of that, I was not given ADHD treatment b/c me mother said no (she is an uneducated old witch). Otherwise, I think I would be in a highly ranked medical school.

So I feel like poop as my brother and sister are so successful as I was not afforded the opportunity to learn good skills.

Last edited:
WOW so you actually left a DO program to go to Caribbean school? Thank you for the advice, I will apply to DO schools

No, I think you may be misreading my post. I left to go into a Caribbean MD program because I despised my osteopathic program and was looking for a way to escape it. So no, I would either apply US MD, or Caribbean/Foreign MD. Leave the others out.