Does Human Anatomy+Lab and Physiology+Lab fill the Bio requirements for MD/DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TriagePreMed

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was told that they were not by my pre-med advisors. I am pretty sure you will need to do full year of General Biology. Check with your advisors and also a med school to double check, but I am pretty sure (I also had other courses in Bio but still had to do the 102.

The weird thing at the school I'm taking the classes now is that they don't offer General Biology. They offer "Organismal Biology: Core I" and "Introduction to Cell Biology: Core II," so I'm guessing that will have to do.

E-mail a couple of medical schools and ask if they would take these. I would hate for you to take advanced/upper level bio just to find out that they still want good ol' general bio. Best of luck

-maria

Members don't see this ad :)
The weird thing at the school I'm taking the classes now is that they don't offer General Biology. They offer "Organismal Biology: Core I" and "Introduction to Cell Biology: Core II," so I'm guessing that will have to do.
>>

Ummmm, why would it have to do? The burden isn't on your current college to OFFER courses, it's on you to SEEK them out. You'll need General Bio with Lab 1 and 2 = 8 credits. Where you get them is up to you. You'll need to find out if Cell Biology Cores are the same thing- they might be, they might not be. I wouldn't leave it to chance, or the advice offered in this thread. Too risky.

I've completed Anatomy and Physiology 1 and 2, both with lab. I assure you, they do NOT count for prereqs, they are often listed as beneficial extra courses- and they do count in your science GPA. So, they are not wasted.

My State Univ offers a 3 course Bio - Bio 1, Bio 2 and Bio 3 - all with lab. Bio 1 is Plant Bio, Bio 2 is Animal Bio and Bio 3 is Cell Bio.
I took Bio 2 and Bio 3 - both with lab - so that 8 sems units (6 lec + 2 lab). Non-Bio majors - typically pre-meds take Bio 2 and Bio 3.

Additionally, I have taken, Immunology, Genetics, Physiology, Embryology and Anatomy - haven't taken the labs for any of these.

Hopefully, that is plenty.

Most schools will allow substitution, but it's a school-by-school thing. Make sure you call each school you're applying to see what their take on it is. Otherwise you may end up having to take the pre-req before you matriculate.

I am personally in the same boat. I have all the pre-med curricula completed MINUS the first semester of general biology. What's weird is I have taught that course at my university (getting my PhD) but was told by several state schools that my PhD courses nor my upper level biocourses (in my undergrad minor) will not substitute for general biology I. I contacted 4 medical schools (state schools), 3 of them said it would not substituate and the 4th said they don't offer premed counseling and therefore I need to meet the requirements on their website.

I am personally in the same boat. I have all the pre-med curricula completed MINUS the first semester of general biology. What's weird is I have taught that course at my university (getting my PhD) but was told by several state schools that my PhD courses nor my upper level biocourses (in my undergrad minor) will not substitute for general biology I. I contacted 4 medical schools (state schools), 3 of them said it would not substituate and the 4th said they don't offer premed counseling and therefore I need to meet the requirements on their website.

The fact that you have taught a course required for you to take for med school prereqs and it won't be counted blows my mind. More evidence this is a crazy game. Maybe if you enrolled yourself in your own course and awarded yourself an A ? Kidding, but obviously I am not missing the irony here. Hey - at least when you take it - you won't have to study a bit.

Maybe more schools than what I contacted allow for substituting classes, but 4 state schools in Ohio did not. I see Vanderbilt does which is good for me I guess, but I think at the end of the day I am just going to cough up the dough and take the class. Unfortunately I can't take the class that I taught at my university because of political crap where I am only allowed to enroll in so many hours per quarter.

So I will cough up a few pennies and attend labs/exams at my local community college. YUCK

The fact that you have taught a course required for you to take for med school prereqs and it won't be counted blows my mind. More evidence this is a crazy game. Maybe if you enrolled yourself in your own course and awarded yourself an A ? Kidding, but obviously I am not missing the irony here. Hey - at least when you take it - you won't have to study a bit.

That one's easy. You go to the school where you taught the course, ask one of your fellow professors to let you take the tests for their course and give you an "A". Who wouldn't give a little professional courtesy of that kind.

that is general bio. post the course descriptions?

It would seem unreasonable to require a general biology I and II only. Those aren't even a series of courses typically offered by Arkansas colleges. I can think of six different biology programs across the state that doesn't include that in the major requirements let alone even be offered by the department, yet they've got people going to medical school. Go figure. :rolleyes:

I emailed all the California Schools, Texas, OHSU, NY and asked these same same question.

They told me that if physiology was an upper division course, they would accept it, otherwise they advised Biology 1 and 2 would be ideal as there is no going wrong with these courses, plus the MCAT is based 90% on these two classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
What about the Human Anatomy + lab? Unfortunately, both my classes will be lower division.

It doesn't count according to these schools.

I asked the same question because I have completed Human Anatomy w/lab Human Physio w/lab, Microbiology w/lab and Pathophysiology and that's what they told me. I know it sucks!

I actually had this exact question. I email about 15 schools and asked whether my coursework in A and P would be sufficient. Everyone said yes, other than the three that don't offer any suggestions.

I actually had this exact question. I email about 15 schools and asked whether my coursework in A and P would be sufficient. Everyone said yes, other than the three that don't offer any suggestions.

Did they say it would be sufficient for the required 8-10 units of Bio they require? Unless your classes are upper division, most med schools say they at least want the bio for bio majors or upper division.

Which schools were these?

You're right now that I check. They said they are the first 2 in the bio major sequence. My school also offers "principles of biology," so that's why I got confused. Nice catch.
lol, no prob. i know one school with 3 different gen bio sequences, so. ugh.

I have a masters degree and I'm qualified to teach the Physics sequence, but I still had to take it as a post-bacc since I didn't have general physics as an undergraduate.

Many schools now are that way. They offer like environmental biology, cell biology, etc.. but no general.

I emailed all the California Schools, Texas, OHSU, NY and asked these same same question.

They told me that if physiology was an upper division course, they would accept it, otherwise they advised Biology 1 and 2 would be ideal as there is no going wrong with these courses, plus the MCAT is based 90% on these two classes.

seriously? 90%?

seriously? 90%?

Well, yes, and no. It is true that almost everything in the BS of the MCAT is mentioned in Biology I & II, but mentioned is not the same thing as taught. For example, in intro Biology, they are going to teach genetic incomplete dominance and you will probably have a few questions about it on tests. But if you miss these questions, then your grade will not change if you missed that day.

On the other hand, if that subject is one of the passages on the MCAT, then you are going to seriously kill you score.

I'm looking at the AMCAS and see that these courses are listed as "biology," but do they count as replacements?

I've already taken General Biology w/o lab and Human Biology w/o lab.

This question comes up about once every 4 months or so. Most schools will take replacements...some even will take botany as 4 of the 8 credits.

It all varies by school, I would contact the schools you're interested in.

Hi, Organismal Biology is what is taught in General Biology II and Introduction to cell biology is taught in General Biology I.