Does it look bad to graduate early a semester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Squamous Eddie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this question has been raised a lot, but I'd like to open the discussion again.

I'm a Chemistry/Interdisciplinary Biochemistry double major (IDS Biochemistry and standard Chem have very little overlap, which is why they're allowing a double chemistry major). I came in with a lot of IB and AP credits, and I love both chem and biochem, so I decided to jump into the thick of it, and this is just what my schedule came down to.

I have very few classes left. I could graduate next semester if I wanted to. I have Instrumental Analysis+lab and PChem lab left for the chem major, and then genetics left for the IDS Biochem major. I have so few classes left I've taken up Japanese and a graduate biochem course. I didn't want to apply this cycle since I just took it in September and got my MCAT back today (36, below my average of 38 but I've been told to not bother retaking), and I also wasn't sold yet on the idea of graduating early, so I'll be applying next cycle, along with the rest of my cohort.

I've instead decided to probably just graduate in the fall. I'll take another grad course in spring, Japanese 2, Instrumental Analysis, and genetics (light schedule so I can put more hours into research), then in Fall I'll take the two labs remaining and wrap everything up. I figure nothing I do in senior spring will matter, so if I can finish up a semester early and just take an extended break after how hard I've been working, I'd rather do that.

Would adcoms think this is "lazy"? I've had challenging semesters each and every time, and I've managed to get through it with GPA unscathed each time. If I can muster enough #@#%'s for analytical chem, I'll make it through another keeping the 4.00 intact. Beyond that, I'm in the clear. I'm just not sure how they would look at it. Thanks for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure if troll but the answer is no.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm graduating a year early and am doing quite well on the interview front. I may be n=1 but I think it is a strong indication you will be fine.

Why would graduating early be frowned upon? It means you pushed yourself to finish early. That would never be viewed negatively, permitting a good GPA. My goal was to finish in 3 1/2 years, but my school doesn't offer physics in the summer so I will have to go for all of next year.