Does it look bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stjude05

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does it look bad to medical school admissions committee if an individual spends 8 years in undergrad with initially a shaky undergraduate record? The last 3 years are really good grades. I am hesitant to apply to graduate school due to higher tuition costs.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Does it look bad to medical school admissions committee if an individual spends 8 years in undergrad with initially a shaky undergraduate record? The last 3 years are really good grades. I am hesitant to apply to graduate school due to higher tuition costs.
Thanks!
Hopefully, you'd have a good explanation that could be discussed in essays. Your entire GPA is looked at and must meet automatic cutoffs for a given school. If you can do that, then the most recent coursework tends to be considered most representative of your academic ability. You'd benefit from having a strong MCAT score to prove you "got it."

This is great advice. What's your sGPA and cGPA?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app please excuse punctuation and spelling

Members don't see this ad :)
Strongly concur here. Some members of AdCom are very down on students who take a long time to get their degrees.

Hopefully, you'd have a good explanation that could be discussed in essays. Your entire GPA is looked at and must meet automatic cutoffs for a given school. If you can do that, then the most recent coursework tends to be considered most representative of your academic ability. You'd benefit from having a strong MCAT score to prove you "got it."

I can't vouch for everyone but the fact that I was in undergrad for around that long wasn't brought up. I am sure it will be brought up at others but by no means a deal breaker.