does it look really bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ApplicantPharmD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a C in O-ChemI at a university but i got an A in O-Chem II at community college..its not tht it was easy or something..its just i studied really hard to get an A...will this look bad in my application?:eek: Im really worried..I am also planning to repeat O-chem I in summer at a community college...

Members don't see this ad.

I had the same case with General Chemistry. I got a C+ in chem 1a at a 4 year and then I came back and took chem 1b at CC and got a better grade. Even though Chem 1B was a lot harder then chem 1a. I have to say that it did have a negative effect on my application and they wanted to hear a really good reason for coming back to community college from a 4-year university. So try to explain this circumstance when you apply. I hope that was helpful.

I had the same case with General Chemistry. I got a C+ in chem 1a at a 4 year and then I came back and took chem 1b at CC and got a better grade. Even though Chem 1B was a lot harder then chem 1a. I have to say that it did have a negative effect on my application and they wanted to hear a really good reason for coming back to community college from a 4-year university. So try to explain this circumstance when you apply. I hope that was helpful.

Thanks...:)that helps...but where do i explain in the application?

Members don't see this ad :)
There are three places where you can explain this. You can put it in your personal statment if it flows in there or you can explain it in a seprate box. Usually in applications they have a box that says if you have any other information that would help in evaluatin your application or what not. Or you can wait until your interview to explain this situation. Choose the last option if you are certain the rest of your application is really strong.

Or you can just not bring it up.

Don't feel you have to make excuses for every little thing until something's been challenged. It seems (to me) a little neurotic to start defending something until it's been attacked. If you had to withdraw from a whole semester or something, go ahead and defend that. One C ought not crush anything. Especially if you rock the chem part of the PCAT.

I graduated from a 4 year university where I got a C in Gen Chem I and II. I retook both at a CC later and got A's. I was never questioned about it and it didn't cause any problems getting into school. I really don't think a C in O.Chem is going to cause a huge problem.

It wouldn't cause a problem if you graduated from that university and THEN came back to repeat it or even if you didn't. But, if you leave the university for some reason then it’s going to bring up questions. Most of the time, they automatically assume you couldn't handle it. I didn't bother to explain my bad grade (ONE C+) and the admissions counselor said to me, "it seems like you couldn't handle the 4-year coursework." THAT is NOT the reason why I decided to leave that UC.

ApplicantPharmD are you still at that university?

It wouldn't cause a problem if you graduated from that university and THEN came back to repeat it or even if you didn't. But, if you leave the university for some reason then it’s going to bring up questions. Most of the time, they automatically assume you couldn't handle it. I didn't bother to explain my bad grade (ONE C+) and the admissions counselor said to me, "it seems like you couldn't handle the 4-year coursework." THAT is NOT the reason why I decided to leave that UC.

ApplicantPharmD are you still at that university?

i graduated from tht university with a BS in Molecular Biosciences and Biotech in May 06..im planning to repeat O-chem I in CC coz i dont want to spend so much money again at a univ...cc is cheaper and closer to my house..

I graduated from a 4 year university where I got a C in Gen Chem I and II. I retook both at a CC later and got A's. I was never questioned about it and it didn't cause any problems getting into school. I really don't think a C in O.Chem is going to cause a huge problem.

Do u mind sharing ur stats??? Thanks :)

i graduated from tht university with a BS in Molecular Biosciences and Biotech in May 06..im planning to repeat O-chem I in CC coz i dont want to spend so much money again at a univ...cc is cheaper and closer to my house..

Ok that makes sense...nvm about what I said then. Your first post/question made me think you were at a 4 year and then you decided to leave it and come back to CC.