Does it matter where you get PharmD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MadeInHouston

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title says it all. Wondering if it affects where we get hired or if it affect us under anything pharmacy related.

Members don't see this ad.

Title says it all. Wondering if it affects where we get hired or if it affect us under anything pharmacy related.

if you want to get into a residency, and work in a clinical or hospital pharmacy then yes-- you would want to get into a more reputable pharmacy school. if you want to work in retail, then no it does not matter where you go as long as you are a RPh.

if you want to get into a residency, and work in a clinical or hospital pharmacy then yes-- you would want to get into a more reputable pharmacy school. if you want to work in retail, then no it does not matter where you go as long as you are a RPh.

I disagree with you, dkphx.

Madeln, it does not matter where you get your PharmD from. This is assuming that:

1) All your pharmacy-related career motives are within the U.S. and;

2) The school meets the U.S. accreditation requirements for a PharmD program.

Can't speak for anything outside of the country.

What matters is probably, how you got it; and most definitley, what you do with it.

Members don't see this ad :)
My anecdotal evidence tends to agree with Electrode at this point. Perhaps for your first job, it might matter a little, but pharmacies are looking for your job experience after you're no longer a new grad.

However, I can see that somewhere in the future, it will matter where you went. Look at it this way: If you want the top 5% of physician jobs, it does matter where you went to school. If not, a medical license is a medical license as long as you're qualified. I feel pharmacy is the same way, and will be that way for the foreseeable future. The caveat is that some areas are much, much more competitive for jobs than others (CA, IL, etc.) and will thus have find ways to choose between more applicants.

However, going somewhere with prestige may open more doors for you, and in the future that will probably become more pronounced. A prestigious school may also have a better alumni network or more on-campus experiential options (like an attached hospital).

I'm having flashbacks to a discussion rxlea & I had a while back. :laugh:

Take it with a grain of salt - you're asking on the pre-pharm forum, and you're getting my best answer based on the homework I personally have done about the field.

The only time I can remotely think of when this would be an advantage is for networking opportunities. Especially if your school has been around for a long time, has a good reputation and a huge alumni base, then it could work to your advantage...otherwise, not really that important (though I would try not to go to a newly opened school if it can be avoided).

Let's play devils advocate for a second... (and being vague and brief because I am typing from my phone)...

Approximatley 25-30% of students in PGY1 pharmacy practice residencies are from top ten-fifteen schools. Obviously, one could argue that the type of students the top schools attract are different than other schools. For example, the top schools are associated with large medical schools / research universities... thus drawing in students who want to take those opportunties. But that is still a very high percentage if you ask me....

Let's play devils advocate for a second... (and being vague and brief because I am typing from my phone)...

Approximatley 25-30% of students in PGY1 pharmacy practice residencies are from top ten-fifteen schools. Obviously, one could argue that the type of students the top schools attract are different than other schools. For example, the top schools are associated with large medical schools / research universities... thus drawing in students who want to take those opportunties. But that is still a very high percentage if you ask me....

Interesting stat.

90% of time the stats people use are made up. That includes mine as well but you get the point.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Interesting stat.

If by interesting you mean what comes out of a bull when he goes #2 then you're correct. Pharmacy schools don't rank themselves nor do they submit stats to for others to rank so saying you go to a top ten school or whatever is a measure of your school pride/arrogance/ignorance/whatever.

If by interesting you mean what comes out of a bull when he goes #2 then you're correct. Pharmacy schools don't rank themselves nor do they submit stats to for others to rank so saying you go to a top ten school or whatever is a measure of your school pride/arrogance/ignorance/whatever.

I am not sure I understand what you mean by pharmacy schools don't rank themselves. That is how the ranking system works currently. News and world reports sends out surveys to COPs and based on the results you get the rankings.

Now I agree completely about everything else you said. They are bunk, complete bunk I say.

Umm yes?
I guess like someone may have said: an established, older school would probably be more highly regarded...