Does it matter where you take courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

skbirdie510

Dr. K
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it better to take courses at a more "competitive" university as opposed one that is less? Is there a difference in the way med schools view grades received from one versus another?
 
I meant courses for an informal or formal postbacc. Does the competitiveness of the university necessarily matter?
 
I am not sure that it matters for a formal post-bac but for an informal one I think they would want to see you at anything other than community college. Not that there is anything wrong with it, but I know some of the more competitive schools might have questions about why you didn't go through a formal program or at least go through your state school.

I know that coming from the Penn post bac - my interviewers did remark on the hardness of the program. I am not sure that it helped or hurt me but it is something that some adcoms notice.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well I'm trying to avoid having to join a formal program because I'm also in an MPH program, so I'm not sure doing both at the same time would be the wisest choice. I can't take post-bacc courses at my school because I'm at SUNY Downstate for my MPH, and since they're only a medical/graduate school, I can't take courses there.

I guess right now I'm trying to decide whether a more prestigious school that's a bit further away would be better to take courses from, as opposed to a slightly less prestigious school (but not community college) that is closer.
 
as long as both are four year universities, they're equal. i'd go with whichever was cheaper/closer.