Does it matter where you take courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skbirdie510

Dr. K
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it better to take courses at a more "competitive" university as opposed one that is less? Is there a difference in the way med schools view grades received from one versus another?

Members don't see this ad.

I meant courses for an informal or formal postbacc. Does the competitiveness of the university necessarily matter?

I am not sure that it matters for a formal post-bac but for an informal one I think they would want to see you at anything other than community college. Not that there is anything wrong with it, but I know some of the more competitive schools might have questions about why you didn't go through a formal program or at least go through your state school.

I know that coming from the Penn post bac - my interviewers did remark on the hardness of the program. I am not sure that it helped or hurt me but it is something that some adcoms notice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I'm trying to avoid having to join a formal program because I'm also in an MPH program, so I'm not sure doing both at the same time would be the wisest choice. I can't take post-bacc courses at my school because I'm at SUNY Downstate for my MPH, and since they're only a medical/graduate school, I can't take courses there.

I guess right now I'm trying to decide whether a more prestigious school that's a bit further away would be better to take courses from, as opposed to a slightly less prestigious school (but not community college) that is closer.

as long as both are four year universities, they're equal. i'd go with whichever was cheaper/closer.