Does it really matter where you go to medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blondie007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was talking about medical schools with the doctors I work with. They said they can't really tell the difference between the med students/residents from the top tier schools and the good schools. At least not on the wards.

I mean, do Harvard residents really make the best residents? Does anyone know if there are any schools that really do turn out med students who are better? I fell like they're kind of all the same. So why spend money on the big guns?

Members don't see this ad.

No, actually many that I have talked to think that Harvard (number 1 ranked) produces poor clinicians. You spend the money if you want to brag about what school you go to, have always dreamed of going to a particular school (this is reasonable), have a legacy at a particular school, like the area around that school, etc... Visiting the Yale campus made me want to go there because I loved the campus and city.

Also, if you want to be a researcher or academic physician going to those places could help. But as far as clinical work, nope.

harvard is more research-heavy and is less so on primary care

Members don't see this ad :)
No, actually many that I have talked to think that Harvard (number 1 ranked) produces poor clinicians.

I don't know that they are particularly poor, but I would suspect that the schools that cannot compete in research dollars and who churn out a lot of students into primary care and less competitive fields, often just embrace that fact and work harder on the clinical aspects.

I don't know that they are particularly poor, but I would suspect that the schools that cannot compete in research dollars and who churn out a lot of students into primary care and less competitive fields, often just embrace that fact and work harder on the clinical aspects.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

yes yes...advisor suits you

it really doesn't matter UNLESS you want to do research/academic medicine at the big-time powerhouse/prestigious schools for your career.....only a very small % of docs end up in those positions (either out of choice or opportunity...whatever)

it really doesn't matter UNLESS you want to do research/academic medicine at the big-time powerhouse/prestigious schools for your career.....only a very small % of docs end up in those positions (either out of choice or opportunity...whatever)

Or if you want to match into a competitivce residency without top board scores then the name of your school helpS!

Or if you want to match into a competitivce residency without top board scores then the name of your school helpS!
We can argue that all day and cite random examples...but we all know that you're not getting derm or plastics w/ a below average USMLE even if you're from Harvard, Hopkins, etc. (of course your daddy could have bought a wing of the hospital...that could change things...maybe..)

Without pretty good board scores you are probably sunk for certain specialties no matter where you go to med school.

I am stating this:

harvard---230
Moorehouse---240

I think if i am a residency director i am going to take the harvard guy. End of discussion!

I am stating this:

harvard---230
Moorehouse---240

I think if i am a residency director i am going to take the harvard guy. End of discussion!

That is far too simple. How did they do in clinicals? Maybe Harvard gives you the advantage of having the guy who invented some procedure say that you'd be good at it. It is helpful for LORs. It is probably not that helpful in making you a better clinician. High level hospitals often give students less responsibility as they have a high number of residents, fellows, etc...

Members don't see this ad :)

Where you go to school has absolutely no bearing on what kind of residency you are competitive for...that is determined by USMLE scores, letters of rec from Dr's in area that you're interested in and also a little bit by any research you've done in that particular area. This isn't just my opinion, but this was told to me almost word for word by some surgeons that I work for in my internship. They interview candidates for residency positions at the UC Davis Medical Center...so I suppose they would know.

Where you go to school has absolutely no bearing on what kind of residency you are competitive for...that is determined by USMLE scores, letters of rec from Dr's in area that you're interested in and also a little bit by any research you've done in that particular area.

this is not true. can anyone cite examples of someone getting into a top residency from chiropractic school? not one, i bet. the school you go to matters.

;)

this is not true. can anyone cite examples of someone getting into a top residency from chiropractic school? not one, i bet. the school you go to matters.

;)

Lest anyone not get that you are joking, we are talking about US allo schools. Otherwise I would have gone straight from law school to residency and saved some dough.

Where you go to school has absolutely no bearing on what kind of residency you are competitive for...that is determined by USMLE scores, letters of rec from Dr's in area that you're interested in and also a little bit by any research you've done in that particular area. This isn't just my opinion, but this was told to me almost word for word by some surgeons that I work for in my internship. They interview candidates for residency positions at the UC Davis Medical Center...so I suppose they would know.
You can be competitive for any specialty and any hospital from most US med schools if you are qualified but to say that the med school makes no difference at all is not accurate.Average students at top med schools in terms of USMLE are going to be competitive at many hospitals in a way their peers at lesser known places may not.They have access to well published,well known faculty with connections.Names and personal contacts open doors.
Look at the match lists from Columbia,Penn etc.Most students there match at top institutions even in the most competitive specialties.Not eveyone at these schools gets great USMLE scores. however once you get past the top 10-20 schools I agree it wont matter much.

Look at the match lists from Columbia,Penn etc.Most students there match at top institutions even in the most competitive specialties.Not eveyone at these schools gets great USMLE scores. however once you get past the top 10-20 schools I agree it wont matter much.

While I don't necessarilly totally disagree with you, I question the average premed's ability to read a match list accurately, and thus think this is a bad suggestion. The best residencies in particularly fields are not necessarilly the ones at schools at the top of the US News med school research rankings lists (as certain hospitals/schools you wouldn't expect are known as "meccas" for certain specialties and at the opposite extreme malignant programs do exist, even at places with prestigious names), nor does the number of people in particular specialties tell you the whole story, as it's really not all that uncommon for folks who could eg get derm to simply choose something else. What constitutes a good program to apply to in the match tends to involve a lot of sitting down with advisors/mentors in the particular specialty at the later year med school level and getting sage word of mouth advice about each program, so I wouldn't spend much time interpreting these lists at the undergrad level.
Bottom line, if you don't put up decent numbers and have good credentials, a good name won't "save" you. If you have the goods, it certainly will be seen as a positive.

Alright, Law2Doc...How do you reconcile the fact that UC-Pritzker's average board score is ~215-220 with the quality of their match list?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=2490209&postcount=133

You can claim I don't know how to read a match list (i.e. I may not know the Iowa has one of the best ENT programs), but it is pretty well known that matchinig in medicine and mass gen, brigham, uw, mich, penn, hopkins, etc is as competitive as it gets.

Alright, Law2Doc...How do you reconcile the fact that UC-Pritzker's average board score is ~215-220 with the quality of their match list?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/show...&postcount=133

You can claim I don't know how to read a match list (i.e. I may not know the Iowa has one of the best ENT programs), but it is pretty well known that matchinig in medicine and mass gen, brigham, uw, mich, penn, hopkins, etc is as competitive as it gets.

I somehow can't open that link, but would caution that you have to see how the average and below folks matched, not the top to see how folks with that board score did. According to studentdoc.com, "top internal medicine programs" are looking for scores of 230 or better. So with a school average of around 220, a some decent percentage of the class will have gotten above 230, and would have a shot at those programs. And as others in this thread have indicated, there are rotation grades, LORs, research, connections also playing a role here. It would be hard to quantify the benefit obtained from the school name, if any.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/show...&postcount=133

I don't think that link is helping your case to much...since it doesn't work...:D

I fixed the link. But look at the other matches. There are lots of good programs in radiology, anesthesiology, etc. There are no community family practice places, even with the average board scores. Sure there will be people at 230, but there will also be the same number of people at 210. Yet, stellar matches.

YES anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves.

It can help you do certain research, get certain LORs, and get some competetive residencies, but if you don't get into one, it's not the end of the world, you can go as far as the big name kids, you'll just need to prove yourself more.

I fixed the link. But look at the other matches. There are lots of good programs in radiology, anesthesiology, etc. There are no community family practice places, even with the average board scores. Sure there will be people at 230, but there will also be the same number of people at 210. Yet, stellar matches.

It looks like a nice match from what I can tell, although again I contend that "good program" is not a diagnosis a premed can make. There are certainly places and specialties on there that wouldn't be deemed particularly competitive too. We don't really know how the scores broke down within that school, and so it is unknown whether there were a lot of people around the average, or a small handful well below the average who brought it down significantly.
And how does that list suggest that it is better than a school a bit lower down on the US News list with comparable average board scores? Or, if you like that list, that, say a Hopkins or Harvard is better than Chicago?
And again there are other non-school related factors in the analysis besides board scores that have to be worked into the analysis.
So even if you were correct, I don't think this definitively proves your point.
But thank you for fixing the link.

It looks like a nice match from what I can tell, although again I contend that "good program" is not a diagnosis a premed can make. There are certainly places and specialties on there that wouldn't be deemed particularly competitive too. We don't really know how the scores broke down within that school, and so it is unknown whether there were a lot of people around the average, or a small handful well below the average who brought it down significantly.
And how does that list suggest that it is better than a school a bit lower down on the US News list with comparable average board scores? Or, if you like that list, that, say a Hopkins or Harvard is better than Chicago?
And again there are other non-school related factors in the analysis besides board scores that have to be worked into the analysis.
So even if you were correct, I don't think this definitively proves your point.
But thank you for fixing the link.

we win, an ADMISSION of her incorrectness!:D

I think it matters in terms of connections to where clinical rotations are done, the caliber of the faculty reviewing the students, and things of that nature. When it comes down to absolute things such as board scores, its quite obvious that whatever med school doesn't have any bearing (unless of course they teach their courses to force you to ace your boards but regardless of which, anyone is capable do score highly on the boards regardless of institution). What it comes down to then, is what becomes associated with the medical school. That is, if your recs are glowing from a nationally renowned clinic from well known doctors, you'll place more competitively than that other student with equally glowing recs, but from relatively less known faculty and perhaps poorer, unknown facilities. Top schools are top schools in part because they have wonderful associated teaching hospitals and facilities that students rotate through to learn. What it boils down to is, yes I would think what med school you went to does matter, but only in the caliber of amenities associated with it that differ from med school to med school. Grades, class placement, exam scores and other absolutes are faceless, however, when it comes to medical school. How you want to argue, of which is more important, is up to you.

My opinion (which you should take note), the answer is no. Go to the cheapest medical school, as far DOWN the rankings as possible. You will have an easier time getting to the top of your class, have more time to study for the boards, and choose any specialty you wish. Plus, less debt.

No you probably won't get into Harvard's program, but you will still be a radiologist.

Or...you can go to Chicago, and get into a GREAT internal medicine program. Your choice.

My opinion (which you should take note), the answer is no. Go to the cheapest medical school, as far DOWN the rankings as possible. You will have an easier time getting to the top of your class, have more time to study for the boards, and choose any specialty you wish. Plus, less debt.

No you probably won't get into Harvard's program, but you will still be a radiologist.

Or...you can go to Chicago, and get into a GREAT internal medicine program. Your choice.

Great spin on the situation. I commend oyu for thinking outside the box. I agree with you wholeheartedly. However most of the people who go to harvard are name ****** and i doubt they would agree to go that route.

p.s. dont flame me i said MOST.

it might easier to get to the top of the class, but anyone is capable of getting to the top of the class. I would think that "lower" medical schools would have to work even harder to prove "intelligence" that their medical school namesake doesn't automatically offer. (i.e. someone going to X School of Medicine versus Harvard- X School of medicine doesn't have a strong name in comparison, so gotta work harder if you want to make something of yourself) But who knows.

it might easier to get to the top of the class, but anyone is capable of getting to the top of the class. I would think that "lower" medical schools would have to work even harder to prove "intelligence" that their medical school namesake doesn't automatically offer. (i.e. someone going to X School of Medicine versus Harvard- X School of medicine doesn't have a strong name in comparison, so gotta work harder if you want to make something of yourself) But who knows.

Not bloody likely. I know for a fact that if i went to Johns hopkins that i could NEVER be the top of the class, no matter how hard i studyed and no matter how many people i poisoned (kidding if you couldnt figure that out).

Maybe it would be better to go to a medium school and get top of class.

I think a good analogy would be this:

You are a pre-frosh and scored a 1600 on your SATs and were accepted at Harvard and ABC community college/low-tier state school. Can you become a doctor if you were a premed at a less well-known college granted you get a 35 MCAT and a 3.80 GPA. Of course you can! However, it would easier getting the medical school of your choice graduating from Harvard. By the same analogy, which school you attend for medical school matters. You wouldn't turn down (using the two school examples used) Uchicago for lets say...Morehouse just because "it doesn't matter where you go". Residency directors won't know, given a comparable Step I score, if John Doe went to a less-prestigious school because they "turned down other great schools" just because they wanted to attend school XYZ and felt "all schools are pretty much the same". Thus, given two similiar candidates, residency directors will give the advantage to the seemingly "more qualified" candidate who was very qualifed entering medical school and very qualified throughout medical school. That's why Uchicago had very excellent matches into very competitive fields and programs (Harvard, Upenn): rad oncos, derms (3), ortho, plastics, radiology, anesthiology, opthamology.

However, entering a more prestigious school, just like undergrad, is no excuse to do poorly academically. You will have no chance if your grades and standarized scores are bad.

Not bloody likely. I know for a fact that if i went to Johns hopkins that i could NEVER be the top of the class, no matter how hard i studyed and no matter how many people i poisoned (kidding if you couldnt figure that out).

Maybe it would be better to go to a medium school and get top of class.
ahh the ole poisoning- gunner style.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=2490209&postcount=133

that match list is SICK...point well taken

When you consider things beyond residency, though, I think the answer is no. I mean...as long as you get into an internal medicine residency you will be able to practice internal medicine. You don't necessarily have to get into a great residency program. I figure the advantage of going to a better name school is that you get more residency choices, and therefore don't end up somewhere you would rather not be, just to learn the specialty that you want. After getting into a better residency program you may get more choices of where to practice after you come out....basically you get more choice coming from a better school.
Of course, all of this is my opinion and if you want to do academic medicine then this doesn't really apply.

It is also important to keep in mind that it is difficult to predict medical school performance based on undergrad. At least in the preclinical years there is a huge emphasis on memorization rather than cogent thought. A person who did well in, say, physics might not have the sheer memorization skills that many of his classmates have.

From SDN user: SoCalDreamin'
”My conclusions regarding strength of application are as follows:

1.) An outstanding Step I score and/or AOA is the ticket for the ultra-competitive specialties, and we all know what they are.

2.) For Medicine, two factors bear more weight that an outstanding Step I score and/or AOA; such factors include:

a.) Strength/rank/reputation of your medical school
b.) Getting letters of recommendation from nationally renowned physicians

However, these statements in no way imply that one should not try hard to obtain a good Step I score and a high class rank. These two factors might get you that top interview, even if your medical school's rank or the prestige of letter writers is not super-stellar. With this information in mind, let's consider the following 2 applicants:

On the one hand, we have med student X with the following statistics:

* Step 1 = 245
* AOA
* Attends a medical school that is not ranked in terms of NIH research funding or in US News & World Report
* Has letters of rec from 3 faculty members that are not well-published

On the other hand, we have med student Y with the following statistics:

* Step 1 = 225
* No AOA
* Attends a medical school that is ranked in terms of NIH research funding or in US News & World Report (e.g. Stanford, UCSF, HMS, UT Southwestern)
* Has a letter or rec from Dr. Topol of the Cleveland Clinic that is based on a cardiology elective he did there at the beginning of his fourth year

Of these two candidates, whom do you think will be more likely to land interviews at MGH and Brigham & Women's? If you said med student Y, then you are correct.

Luckily for me, I am not hung up on silly things such as rankings and academic reputation, so none of the above information mattered to me when it came down to deciding where I wanted to go for residency. Much larger factors weighed on my mind, such as work environment and house staff support, and most importantly, if I was going to be happy at a particular program. Things worked out just the way I wanted them to, and I couldn't be any happier.”

From SDN user: SuFiBB
”from my experience from going through the whole application ordeal, some programs indicated that they place significant emphasis on the IM department chairman's letter which reflects your performance in your sub-I because most of what you do in your internship is similar to your sub-I rotation. whatever you do, do as well as you can for your sub-I to form the basis for a good chairman's letter. read before, learn the pocket intern survivor's guide, take a few electives beforehand, learn cross-cover emergency stuff, learn how to write orders such as admit orders, and prepare & memorize each presentation you give about a patient during rounds to your attending.”

From SDN user: Renovar
”I would have to say that looking at my experience and my classmates', the biggest break point for competitive IM, at least for interview purposes, is going to be:

1. AOA vs non AOA

and

2. The "eliteness" of your med school - top 10 vs Top25 or so vs the rest

Step 1 score is massively overrated for IM. I agree, higher is ALWAYS better, but there is a point where any higher wont do you any more good - and this point is surprisingly low. I'd boldly say that anything above mid-230's (mid-high 90's on 2 point) should keep all doors open, and it will be up to your other stats to get you interviews.

I ran into this dude on my interview trail from HMS, openly stated that he is below average in his class and got below average Step 1, and still got interviews at everywhere he applies (places like Stanford, UCSF, JHU, HMS hospitals, etc). That just goes about saying how much advantange an elite med school carries you in this process.”

From SDN user Kalel:
“I agree with many of the things stated above. In IM, I think that step I is mainly used as a cutoff. However, after seeing a few of my classmates who I know had below avg step I scores but seemingly strong clinical skills not match where they wanted to go (but got interviews at), I wonder how much of a factor it really is used to evaluate your app in IM. In general, AOA and avg step I will probably get you farther in IM then 260 step I and poor clinical evaluations. I don’t know how much of their below average step I score played into where they matched, but I did notice that my classmates who scored above average on step I were able to match into one of their top 2-3 choices. A confounder in this observation is that those who did not do as well on step I probably do not do as well on their shelves, which can adversely affect their clinical grades as well. I strongly agree with the assertion that a school’s reputation plays a huge role in where one will be able to get interviews at. I know of a student at a top 5 medical school who had below average step I and clinical grades but who was able to secure a good number of interviews at top-ranked schools which were not interviewing many of my classmates who had better step I scores and grades but who came from my state school. I still don’t think that it’s worth a lot of extra money to go to a top 20 school just so that you can get into a top 20 IM residency because many students from unranked schools are still able to secure top IM residencies (they just have to be a little bit more competitive), and there are many “unranked” IM residencies that are still excellent training programs and have very high placements ratios in all competitive fellowships. Ultimately, if you are good, I think that you will be able to get whatever specialty you want to in IM coming from whatever school you are coming from in the US.”

So obviously there is a lot of debate here. Apologies for harping on IM, but that is probably my main area of interest.

Of course it matters which medschool you go to . . . it matters that you go to the medschool that is right for you. Is the location/curriculum/atmosphere etc right for you? If you're miserable you're gonna perform like crap, esp because medschool is pretty miserable sometimes regardless of these factors, so if you don't love where you are you'll just be super miserable. Anything your school is lacking can be made up in away rotations. The reason the USMLE is given so much weight in residency application is because it puts everyone on even competing ground, to allow them to see past the name of your institution. Then all you need are some influential letter writers, which if your school is lacking, you can get via away rotations. Go where you like it the most, not where the USNews people say is the best because they get lots of NIH funding.

Of course it matters which medschool you go to . . . it matters that you go to the medschool that is right for you. Is the location/curriculum/atmosphere etc right for you? If you're miserable you're gonna perform like crap, esp because medschool is pretty miserable sometimes regardless of these factors, so if you don't love where you are you'll just be super miserable. Anything your school is lacking can be made up in away rotations. The reason the USMLE is given so much weight in residency application is because it puts everyone on even competing ground, to allow them to see past the name of your institution. Then all you need are some influential letter writers, which if your school is lacking, you can get via away rotations. Go where you like it the most, not where the USNews people say is the best because they get lots of NIH funding.

Great post! :thumbup:

I agree with this up to a point. I think the top 15 or maybe even top twenty schools give medical students an advantage that make their private tuition $$ worth paying for. Middle tier private schools, on the other hand, do not provide enough of an advantage to justify their cost (imho). This was the sentiment of one my undergraduate professors (a professor of surgery at vanderbilt who was actively involved in resident recruitment who happened to teach an undergraduate seminar once a week)

When you consider things beyond residency, though, I think the answer is no. I mean...as long as you get into an internal medicine residency you will be able to practice internal medicine. You don't necessarily have to get into a great residency program. I figure the advantage of going to a better name school is that you get more residency choices, and therefore don't end up somewhere you would rather not be, just to learn the specialty that you want. After getting into a better residency program you may get more choices of where to practice after you come out....basically you get more choice coming from a better school.
Of course, all of this is my opinion and if you want to do academic medicine then this doesn't really apply.

It's not quite that simple. A lot of people who go into IM are interested in doing a subspecialty. Some Medicine fellowships, such as Hem-Onc and Cards, are really competitive, so going to a good residency program helps.

Take this for what it is worth, but a program director has told me that medical school reputation matters. (I personally believe this is the case, as people from the middle/bottom of elite med school classes have a lot more opportunities than corresponding students from less regarded schools). The extent to which this is true I'm sure varies between specialties.

I agree with this up to a point. I think the top 15 or maybe even top twenty schools give medical students an advantage that make their private tuition $$ worth paying for. Middle tier private schools, on the other hand, do not provide enough of an advantage to justify their cost (imho). This was the sentiment of one my undergraduate professors (a professor of surgery at vanderbilt who was actively involved in resident recruitment who happened to teach an undergraduate seminar once a week)

I still don't think the advantage is worth the cost if you get into a solid state school. I think it all balances out in the end. It would be alot harder to get AOA amongst all the people at a school like Harvard or JH than at a state school where admissions were less competitive. If you were AOA, high USMLE with good letters from a state school I think you would be on even footing with no AOA, high USMLE with good letters from Harvard. And if you were miserable at the big name school cause it wasn't a good fit for you that would effect your grades and board performance. Like I couldn't imagine trying to learn in a PBL curriculum right now, even if it was at a top 10, I think I would do so poorly in that type of learning environment that it would counterbalance a name. Even stuff like the city your school can make a big difference for you. Like when I interviewed at UCLA, and totally knew that I didn't fit in at all and would have been miserable (nothin against UCLA, just sooo not me . . . which they agreed on because they waitlisted me) . . .even if I'd gotten in I would have turned it down for LSU which just felt like home to me when I interviewed and fit me like a glove.

Btw . . . see that u made the same tulane vs. state school decision, I did . . . too funny, my eyes almost popped out of my head when I saw tulane's 60k/year budget.

Btw . . . see that u made the same tulane vs. state school decision, I did . . . too funny, my eyes almost popped out of my head when I saw tulane's 60k/year budget.

Yea... that didn't sit too well with me either. Loved the place, but it would have taken a hefty scholarship for me to go there. Maybe residency, eh?

I still don't think the advantage is worth the cost if you get into a solid state school. I think it all balances out in the end. It would be alot harder to get AOA amongst all the people at a school like Harvard or JH than at a state school where admissions were less competitive. If you were AOA, high USMLE with good letters from a state school I think you would be on even footing with no AOA, high USMLE with good letters from Harvard. And if you were miserable at the big name school cause it wasn't a good fit for you that would effect your grades and board performance. Like I couldn't imagine trying to learn in a PBL curriculum right now, even if it was at a top 10, I think I would do so poorly in that type of learning environment that it would counterbalance a name. Even stuff like the city your school can make a big difference for you. Like when I interviewed at UCLA, and totally knew that I didn't fit in at all and would have been miserable (nothin against UCLA, just sooo not me . . . which they agreed on because they waitlisted me) . . .even if I'd gotten in I would have turned it down for LSU which just felt like home to me when I interviewed and fit me like a glove.

When people make these comparisons, it seems pretty common to say "well if I am AOA at a state school..." This seems sort of silly, like it will be easy to get AOA at a state school. It's still medical school -- your classmates will not be idiots, and it will still be really hard to make AOA. Also, I really don't know how AOA at a not-as-good med school compares to non-AOA from a top school. Program directors would probably have varying opinions on whom they would rank higher. Further, while both may have good LORs, someone who goes to Harvard will probably have an easier time get letters from nationally renowned physicians, which can really help, than someone from a school without as much of a reputation.

Personally, I think that the impact that your medical school has on your residency is about as great as the impact that your high school had on where you go to medical school.