Does it really matter where you go to medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The aforementioned surgeon summed it up to me like this. The difference between students in the top half of a solid state school and the top half of an academic powerhouse was effectively nil (in his eyes). Where the difference started to be appreciable was when comparing the bottom half.

check this out:
http://www.orthogate.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2603

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I think that the impact that your medical school has on your residency is about as great as the impact that your high school had on where you go to medical school.

you are absolutely correct. and the way you logically organized ur claims to reach that conclusion is just amazing. enjoy the carribeans, they have nice beaches

you are absolutely correct. and the way you logically organized ur claims to reach that conclusion is just amazing. enjoy the carribeans, they have nice beaches

hey there, mr (or ms) astute, she's already in medical school.

'the carribeans' ... lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
One interesting thing about this thread is the number of times people have said Harvard's name. That alone tells me that Harvard DOES have some brand name value.

One thing to consider is that going to a top school often helps you get a residency at that school. Or at least that is how it works here at Duke. Last year we had 33 graduates match here. And I was looking over the match list the other day. It is pretty amazing. We are not "ranked" at Duke, so there is not really a "bottom" of the class per se, but I am sure a lot of those people did not ace everything. And they got pretty amazing residencies. So maybe that big name does count for something. I say you should base your decision on two things: 1. cost of attendance 2. personal preference.

1. My state school is pretty expensive and Duke has totally rockin' financial aid, so it was about the same $$ in the end. I do not personally advocate spending $250,000 to go to med school....big name schools are not worth it....if you CAN get into a big name school and finaid screws you, go to a school like UTSW that will give you an out of state scholarship and will be really cheap.

2. GO WHERE YOU WILL BE HAPPY!! Different schools have different atmospheres. I am procrastinating right now from studying. I have been doing G. Anatomy all day trying to figure out what the hell is going on in that class. Tomorrow I have to cram like crazy for a microanatomy exam on Monday. I have had a test the last two mondays, have one this monday, and have a GA exam AND practical the next monday. The point of all this ranting is that med school can be a real grind at times. Find a place where you fit in with the people, where the city makes you feel somewhat at home, and where you could see yourself finding fun things to do out of class. Going to a place you dislike for a school that has a better name is ridiculous.

Bottom line: find a school you like, ignore all the hype people put out, and do your best. Better school's have better reps, but it won't matter so long as you do well and enjoy your time wherever you end up.

Don't forget SDN is kind of anti-prestige and some will say it doesn't matter where you go to med school or undergrad.

Really, where you go to med school is important. There have been surveys by residency directors which show it's an important factor.

However, it would be ridiculous to turn down a huge scholarship or a school you really love and will be very happy at.

I don't know how productive this all is. I say go to the most prestigious school that you can get into, afford, and enjoy attending.

To quote Panda Bear, of all the dead horses on SDN, this is the bloodiest and messiest of them all.

A bunch of pre-meds arguing about how important a medical school's "prestige" is to some random residency director is about as useful as a solar-powered flashlught.

However, threads like these always make me chuckle, so have at it kids.

My opinion (which you should take note), the answer is no. Go to the cheapest medical school, as far DOWN the rankings as possible. You will have an easier time getting to the top of your class, have more time to study for the boards, and choose any specialty you wish. Plus, less debt.
No you probably won't get into Harvard's program, but you will still be a radiologist.

Or...you can go to Chicago, and get into a GREAT internal medicine program. Your choice.

That was the logic i used and now that ive started, ive found myself extremely surprised at how well these so called average med students do. Our class average on the last biochem test was around 86%. So it may not be as easy as you think to blow everyone out of the water. If i had to do it again, id take prestige over "easy" competition, mainly because expecting to be at the top of the class in any med school isnt always the easiest thing to accomplish. Not to mention the crazy yet unrelenting feeling of dissatisfaction after getting a 90+% on a test, because it was barely in the top quartile........

That was the logic i used and now that ive started, ive found myself extremely surprised at how well these so called average med students do. Our class average on the last biochem test was around 86%. So it may not be as easy as you think to blow everyone out of the water. If i had to do it again, id take prestige over "easy" competition, mainly because expecting to be at the top of the class in any med school isnt always the easiest thing to accomplish. Not to mention the crazy yet unrelenting feeling of dissatisfaction after getting a 90+% on a test, because it was barely in the top quartile........

Yes. This kind of logic often gets folks in trouble. There really isn't much difference between the A student at a top tier allo school and a B+ student who gets into a lower ranked place. Both got their share of A's in college. EVERYONE in US allo med school shows up with the expectation of and ability to get the top grade, and it often comes down to study habits, ability to adjust to the greater workload, and memory ability rather than intelligence as to where you will ultimately end up in the class. So I wouldn't assume a particularly tight or workable relationship between med school rank and how well you will do.