Does it really matter...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sebsvenmdc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
if you submit ERAS on Sept 7. or Sept. 15 instead of Sept. 1? Will someone be denied interviews at good places because of a few days or at most 2 weeks? I'm doing my sub-I in anesthesiology right now, and I don't want to skimp on it to finish ERAS by the 1st!

Members don't see this ad.

What's a sub-i in anesthesiology? Solo cases supervised only by the attending?

Gimme a break...

Gimme a break...

Independent practice.:laugh:
Competition may increase if you don't apply as soon as you can. A competitive program with many applicants may use historical interview cut offs to start, only to shift them up later if the numbers are up this year. You want to be in the early group, not the later group competing for limited interview slots.

Members don't see this ad :)

Gimme a break...

As a MS4, my "sub-I" in anesthesiology was 4 weeks in the SICU and 4 weeks in the OR 1:1 with an attending each day, plus in-house call. (As opposed to the med students not on a "sub-i" who did some tubes with CRNAs and went home at 11, no call.)

The answer i would say is yes - it cannot help you to delay your ERAS.

I remember one program offered interviews September 5th. For the most part, I think if you dont delay a month then you should be fine, but again, I had most of my interview offers prior to October 1, so Id be ready with it 9/1. You dont need your letters to have your file complete, and programs understand incomplete apps, but they cant even see unsubmitted ones.

If you have good scores, I don't believe it will matter too much if you apply at the middle of sept as opposed to the 1st. True there are a few programs (does anyone know which ones?) that may look at your app early, but the vast majority it won't make a difference.

I know many MANY MANY people that did not apply on the 1st and still got interviews at top tier schools. I also know a few people that applied on the 1st and barely got any interviews. My point is that the applicant matters more than when you submit your application. I mean, they're not going to offer an interview to someone with lower step scores and lower grades over a better candidate just because they submitted their application earlier. trust me.

If you need a visa, then it might matter since you're competing with thousands and thousands of people with similar stats. Otherwise, I would be surprised if it comes into play

if you submit ERAS on Sept 7. or Sept. 15 instead of Sept. 1? Will someone be denied interviews at good places because of a few days or at most 2 weeks? I'm doing my sub-I in anesthesiology right now, and I don't want to skimp on it to finish ERAS by the 1st!

No, it doesn't matter. But you will notice if you read this board that those people who submitted their apps Sept 1 will start getting invites Sept 5 and then you will feel behind the curve. Definitely submit it in early-mid September and don't wait until the end of the month.

Highly competitive programs often wait until the Dean's letters go out in November to send their invitations.

Thanks for the advice, everyone! Just want to make it clear that it's NOT a procrastination issue. I'm working my tail off. Now, you can make the case that I could have planned this all out better...true, I probably could have. I've got a good 1st draft of my PS now. I have filled in some experiences. I have played around on ERAS quite a bit. My main concern is submitting the best ERAS possible. I think if I have the first weekend in September, it will help! My goal is September 5. I am trying to shine on Anesthesia month now, and I'm doing stuff non-stop besides ERAS! Otherwise, if I had the time I would get it all done by the 1st. Submitting an ERAS with any typos or mistakes will be bad though.

As for my numbers...they are very good! Hopefully, programs can chill out a bit and wait several days. It seems to me that a ton of people are going to submit their applications on Sept 1 at midnight. So, if I get in quickly after the bolus, I should be ok, hopefully.