Does Journal of publication matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rajp98

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a publication in Journal of Family Medicine. Will listing this cast a negative eye or hurt my chances, since its in Fam Med and most schools may not want to see that to boast giving out competitive residencies only?

Members don't see this ad.

to boast giving out competitive residencies only
I don't think that's a thing. Family medicine, as one of the primary care specialties, is in huge demand and a lot of schools are trying to emphasize it. I can't imagine that listing that publication would hurt you in any way.

Reactions: 3 users
No school "gives out competitive residencies only."

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
“Publication? Wow, how impressi—gasp, family medicine?! Eww, stay away from our school!”*

*Said by no one, ever.

You’re fine, OP. Congrats on the publication!

Reactions: 2 users
“Publication? Wow, how impressi—gasp, family medicine?! Eww, stay away from our school!”*

*Said by no one, ever.

You’re fine, OP. Congrats on the publication!
Thanks!

I have a publication in Journal of Family Medicine. Will listing this cast a negative eye or hurt my chances, since its in Fam Med and most schools may not want to see that to boast giving out competitive residencies only?
ANY publication is rare for pre-meds. You're fine.

And to the rest of SDN, it's app season. Have patience with the pathologically naive.

Reactions: 1 users
When you mean publications, do you only mean 1st author?

Can I list myself as the 0th author on a publication I wasn’t involved in?

There are a few publications where I'm in the acknowledgments section only, but I didn't even both putting them on my app.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly don't even know what you are talking about in your post.

obviously the better the journal the more your publication will help.

But publishing in a less prestigious journal is not going to hurt you.

Reactions: 1 users