does major matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fairandbalanced

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Do pharmacy schools like USC, Western, and UCSF consider the applicant's major when making admission decisions? Do they favor applicants having a BS in biology or chemistry more than those with a BS in computer engineering?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

fairandbalanced said:
Hi,
Do pharmacy schools like USC, Western, and UCSF consider the applicant's major when making admission decisions? Do they favor applicants having a BS in biology or chemistry more than those with a BS in computer engineering?

thanks

They don't care. They have even accepted people majoring in music, german language, etc...
As long as you took your pre-pharm courses.

longnguyen said:
They don't care. They have even accepted people majoring in music, german language, etc...
As long as you took your pre-pharm courses.

As long you finished all the prereqs and have good gpa, you should be alright, what kind of major you have doesnt really maatter.......

Members don't see this ad :)
fairandbalanced said:
Hi,

thanks

I don't know exactly how they factor in an applicant's major into their admission's decision, but I got in with a double major in English and Economics...quite different from the sciences. Therefore, I think as long as you complete the pharmacy pre-requisites, things such as grades, extracurriculars, interview, etc. will matter more than what you major(ed) in.

Ditto to what everyone else has mentioned. I know for UCSF, they accept all majors as long as you have finished your pharmacy pre-requisites. Their website has a list of their accepted students' majors and not all are science majors. Sometimes people decide to study science after they've already graduated. Try to achieve a high gpa for your pre-req courses and everything else you need to prepare for the application process. I probably don't need to tell you that. :p Good luck!