Does MBA and/or MPH increase odds of admission?

Started by md-2020
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

md-2020

The Immaculate Catch
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Already got my MPH (personal desire/interest) and have an opportunity to do a pretty decently ranked (Top 30) 1-year MBA while I apply to med schools this cycle. Do these degrees give you a leg up in admissions at all? More of a question out of curiosity, as whether or not I do the MBA will likely come down to cost.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
top 30 MBA? 1-year? Sounds useless. something from a school that low wouldn't be worth the time. the 1-year scheme also sounds like a deal breaker for it to be worth it
 
top 30 MBA? 1-year? Sounds useless. something from a school that low wouldn't be worth the time. the 1-year scheme also sounds like a deal breaker for it to be worth it
I'm pretty sure most physicians do 1-year MBAs.

Also, whereas top-30 is by no means the M7 schools, it's still pretty solid, AFAIK. I went to a target undergrad for econ and even BB banks had lots of "Tier 2 " MBA associates....so it should be more than adequate for a doctor IMO.
 
Already got my MPH (personal desire/interest) and have an opportunity to do a pretty decently ranked (Top 30) 1-year MBA while I apply to med schools this cycle. Do these degrees give you a leg up in admissions at all? More of a question out of curiosity, as whether or not I do the MBA will likely come down to cost.

Watcha trying to be? MD/MPH/MBA? If you also get a PhD, you'd be the ultimate doctor 😛
 
The degrees themselves are meaningless. But I'd say the experiences you had are (potentially) useful in writing the primary and secondaries if they somehow shaped your desire to pursue medicine or exposed you to clinical atmospheres.

Exactly - I would guess that candidates have a "better shot" overall simply because the experiences they had as a result of those degrees might be somewhat unusual or interesting. However, you will not be any more attractive to a school by virtue of having a second degree.
 
I wonder if that would make med schools wonder if you were on some degree scavenger hunt.

But seriously, I wouldn't do it if it's just for the sake of having another degree. Not worth the time or money.
 
I wonder if that would make med schools wonder if you were on some degree scavenger hunt.

But seriously, I wouldn't do it if it's just for the sake of having another degree. Not worth the time or money.
Don't want people to get the wrong idea here. Not on a degree collection frenzy.

I majored in econ and interned etc etc and was very interested in both business and medicine. Obviously ended up choosing medicine, but am very interested in learning more about the financial/social aspect of healthcare; thus, the MPH and MBA degrees.
 
Honestly, I know of very few doctors-to-be who would willingly postpone medical school to get a masters in something else. It may be perceived that the applicant wasn't able to go directly to medical school earlier due to missing pre-reqs, GPA-repair, insufficient ECs, recent legal/IA issues or maturity reasons, and decided to stay in school (Thanks Dad!) for a few extra years rather than getting a job.
 
Honestly, I know of very few doctors-to-be who would willingly postpone medical school to get a masters in something else. It may be perceived that the applicant wasn't able to go directly to medical school earlier due to missing pre-reqs, GPA-repair, insufficient ECs, recent legal/IA issues or maturity reasons, and decided to stay in school (Thanks Dad!) for a few extra years rather than getting a job.
Thanks for the tip and advice! Much appreciated 🙂

I graduated college a year early (age 20) and decided to do an MPH because it seemed interesting, and also because I had not yet taken my MCAT (I was not interested in being caught up in the frenzy to register for the old one). Thus, I took the new version earlier this year, and am applying in the current cycle, giving me 2 (1 if you don't count my early graduation) gap years. No desire to put of medical school willingly, just kind of how things panned out.