does medical school make you non-judgemental?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

batista_123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
all the doctors i know are so non-judgmental. for example, I feel like it doesn't matter what i wear. it doesnt matter that i am hairy. it doesn't matter that [my flaw here]. they don't judge.
I think doctors are, on average, less judgmental that the average population.
is this because med school makes you like this, or the doctors are too busy with their own problems, or ?

Members don't see this ad.

all the doctors i know are so non-judgmental. for example, I feel like it doesn't matter what i wear. it doesnt matter that i am hairy. it doesn't matter that [my flaw here]. they don't judge.
is this because med school makes you like this, or the doctors are too busy with their own problems, or ?

Doctors are professionals, they keep their opinions about you to themself.

I would like to think that's the case, though I have met some rather opinionated physicians. I feel like hiyaman is probably spot on.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would like to think that's the case, though I have met some rather opinionated physicians. I feel like hiyaman is probably spot on.
:thumbup:I agree with you.
g.php

They may be judgmental but I think that they just don't really care.

It can only show you how to pretend to be non-judgemental and to act it.

they were judgmental until they took an arrow to the knee...
overused -

verb |ˌōvərˈyo͞oz| [ with obj. ]
use too much: young children sometimes overuse "and" in their writing.

noun |ˈōvərˈyo͞os|
excessive use: overuse of natural resources.

DERIVATIVES
overused |ˌōvərˈyo͞ozd|adjective

It can only show you how to pretend to be non-judgemental and to act it.

this. that's part of what's meant by "professionalism" which at a lot of schools is the very first lecture topic you'll have. conversely, medical school is full of some of the most judgmental people you will ever meet.

Doubt it. Have you ever formulated an opinion about a patient you saw when shadowing, whether positive or negative?

I'm pretty sure most doctors would rather see Jabba the Hutt than a Scarlett Scarlett Johansson look-alike drug-seeker who threatens to sue.

Members don't see this ad :)
BTW, be professional all you want and do everything right. Someone will get the wrong impression and be offended, accusing you of judging them because of their race, gender, religion, hair coulour, sexual preferences (pedophiles are particularly touchy), body modifications, tattoos (these guys may have a point), past history, VO2 Max ability, IQ, criminal record, fasting blood glucose levels, sports or recreational activities, marital status, social class, club membership, party affiliation, income level, body fat levels, age, character, cellulite, wrinkles, handicaps, diseases, looks, occupation, degree of baldness, medical history, family history, symptoms, lung capacity, cardiac output, freckle count, teeth count, food choices, drug of choice, shoe size, rank, number of offsprings, upbringing, future plans, BUN levels, weather, mode of transportation, you get the picture. Some people are just touchy. Not that I am judgemental of touchy people.

Last edited:
this. that's part of what's meant by "professionalism" which at a lot of schools is the very first lecture topic you'll have. conversely, medical school is full of some of the most judgmental people you will ever meet.

Hear, hear!

Have to disagree here:

Most ADCOMS = doctors (MDs or Phds) = EXTREMELY JUDGMENTAL

Like, I'm talking judgmental over the smallest detail in your application. Judgmental to an extreme you can't put a finger on. Ever see the movie Mean Girls... Yeah, that's where I'm going with this...

Have to disagree here:

Most ADCOMS = doctors (MDs or Phds) = EXTREMELY JUDGMENTAL

Like, I'm talking judgmental over the smallest detail in your application. Judgmental to an extreme you can't put a finger on. Ever see the movie Mean Girls... Yeah, that's where I'm going with this...
Sounds like you have a bit of a chip on your shoulder....

When you have 40-50 thousand applicants for <20 thousand spots, they get to pick and choose who they take. That means if you have a flaw in your application, there are plenty of applicants who don't have any flaws they can pick over you. They are smart, not "judgmental" for doing so.

Not talking about adcoms, but many Drs are judgemental and many make cruel jokes behind some patient's backs. Dark humour is, for many a way to blow-off steam. I have seen some of the most professional-acting physicians with excellent bedside manners make fun of some patients in private. It's not right, but it can be extremely funny. More than once, snot actually came out of my nose. I then blushed because of the snot and because I was ashamed to partake in such humour. I outgrew both and now understand that dark humour behind the patients' back, no matter how inappropriate or callous it may sound, won't hurt them. If anything they'll benefit from a physician who is less stressed after a good belly laugh.

Sounds like you have a bit of a chip on your shoulder....

When you have 40-50 thousand applicants for <20 thousand spots, they get to pick and choose who they take. That means if you have a flaw in your application, there are plenty of applicants who don't have any flaws they can pick over you. They are smart, not "judgmental" for doing so.

What do you think application reviewers make of an applicant with no volunteer experiences? He likely isn't altruistic and cares only about himself. What if he has no leadership experiences? He likely lacks the social skills necessary to serve as a source of authority for his peers. What if he has low grades and/or a low MCAT score? He likely lacks the motivation and/or intelligence to do well in a medical school curriculum.

Make no mistake, they are certainly judgmental.

Everyone is judgmental, from doctors to lawyers to juries.

Not talking about adcoms, but many Drs are judgemental and many make cruel jokes behind some patient's backs. Dark humour is, for many a way to blow-off steam. I have seen some of the most professional-acting physicians with excellent bedside manners make fun of some patients in private. It's not right, but it can be extremely funny. More than once, snot actually came out of my nose. I then blushed because of the snot and because I was ashamed to partake in such humour. I outgrew both and now understand that dark humour behind the patients' back, no matter how inappropriate or callous it may sound, won't hurt them. If anything they'll benefit from a physician who is less stressed after a good belly laugh.

When I was shadowing, I heard plenty of un-PC comments. They were pretty funny actually,kind of like South Park.

You know how Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!

When I was shadowing, I heard plenty of un-PC comments. They were pretty funny actually,kind of like South Park.

You got it! This is probably the best analogy I've heard of.
Cheers!