Does Medicines sans Frontiers take DO's the same as MD's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noonday

Attending
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
or is it not recognized overseas as the same level of credential?

i'm not dissing DO's. i am really leaning DO vs. MD with decisions of where to go looming, and since i want to work w/ doctors w/o borders, just checking that it would be all good with a DO, too...i emailed them a while ago, but haven't heard anything back...

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

noonday said:

i'm not dissing DO's. i am really leaning DO vs. MD with decisions of where to go looming, and since i want to work w/ doctors w/o borders, just checking that it would be all good with a DO, too...i emailed them a while ago, but haven't heard anything back...

thanks!

Does MSF consider Doctors of Osteopathy?
Yes, as long as applicants fulfill the other minimum requirements, i.e. completion of residency and appropriate licensure.

http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/volunteer/field/faq.cfm#osteo

YES as long as you are finished Medical school and you can be work or licensed in your home country, you should have no problem.

On the humanitarian missions people don't have too many name tags, so very often the people suffering from civil war or starvation, don't get into sand fights about there doctor being a DO or an MD and how one is better than other.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applaud you for wanting to do MSF man. I was seriously considering it for a while, but in the end I didn't think it was right for me. Hunter Adams came to give a talk at my UG a while back and he really motivated me to want to do it, but in the end I wanted to have the "normal family life".

Good luck :luck:

nvshelat said:
I applaud you for wanting to do MSF man. I was seriously considering it for a while, but in the end I didn't think it was right for me. Hunter Adams came to give a talk at my UG a while back and he really motivated me to want to do it, but in the end I wanted to have the "normal family life".

Good luck :luck:
a lil selfish, but to each his own. who really cares about the other side of the world getting a "normal family life"?

most of these types of organizations do not care what initials are after your name since they look for help anyway they can get it. (not to mention in this day and age, when all this ***t is happening in world, they do not have to quarrel about stupid small issues amongst themselves)

Are there any countries where the DO degree is not accepted?

gottalovemilk said:
a lil selfish, but to each his own. who really cares about the other side of the world getting a "normal family life"?

With all due respect, I don't like you. When you volunteer to go overseas let us know. You seem to always have a wise crack to say. :mad:

tragicallyhip'n said:

I dont know the answer to this question but it may limit the countries that you may be available for.

gottalovemilk said:

Wow. Judgemental much? Why is it his responsibility to ensure everyone has a normal family life? The only person you can control is yourself, and I applaud him for realizing that. The "other side of the world" is really not his responsibility to dump his own life for.

I am currently doing research with a DO who does several mission trips throughout the year. I had asked him a similar question, as I noticed there were some underserved countries that had not yet given answer to whether or not the accept DO. He said basically that when you are certified you are all set. I know there are some issues of the DO degree being accepted in the UK, Ireland, France... but those countries wouldn't (on the whole) qualify as underserved. I think it is great that many people are interested in giving their time. I too hope to be able to both Volunteer in underserved parts of the world while still maintain a family life. It is understandible that suck a time commitment would not be for everyone, and remember, there are always opportunities to do shorter stints (say a few weeks at a time).

tragicallyhip'n said:

noonday said:

thanks!

:thumbup:

It's a pretty big committement, you are required 6 months and are payed $600 a month - though sometimes you can do it for 2 months. Someone said they are turning down some specialties. So if you're one of those nuclear med people or radiology people you might have difficulty going with them. I guess they are more primary care orientated.

But I suppose that if you are in one of those really high tech sub specialties you could work at some of the hospitals located in the big cities of third world countries too. Some of the big city hospitals in third world nations are almost or just as good as any US hosital.

Best of luck

C&C

Members don't see this ad :)
HunterGatherer said:
:thumbdown:

Being committed to your family is selfish? hehe. Come on.

This is guy is a constant source of immaturity. I am sorry I even responded to him. Ignore him.

The Desiring to actively help others (including your family) philosphy vs. the my family first (or only) philosophy is as controversial as politics and religion. It will always draw justifications, defenders and opponents from both sides.

IMHO there is nothing wrong with advocating to help as many people as you can without "the my family first (or only)" philosophy.

Nonetheless, this is a free country and each one is entitled to have an opinion (well...that is if we ignore the patriot act, but that is another story all on its own ;) ) and a philosophy to live by.

I personally prefer "The Desiring to actively help others (including your family)" philosophy and sometimes wonder what the world would be like if everyone had one philosophy or the other. Which would yield a better world?...

[Has this thread just gotten hijacked?? :confused: ]

USArmyDoc said:
With all due respect, I don't like you. When you volunteer to go overseas let us know. You seem to always have a wise crack to say. :mad:

FYI, i don't care if you like me or not. It is amazing though that you judge me based only on my opinions than my actions as a person. Unfortuantely, you will never have the pleasure and honor to meet me and know my good deeds. If you are so judgmental based on opinions, i hope your patients do not get offended by you not liking them when their opinions differ with yours as well. Well, i guess it is a good thing you are in the army then; your patients will be forced to see you (how unfortuante for them)

BTW, i did and will continue to volunteer overseas.

HAVE A NICE DAY

gottalovemilk said:
FYI, i don't care if you like me or not. It is amazing though that you judge me based only on my opinions than my actions as a person. Unfortuantely, you will never have the pleasure and honor to meet me and know my good deeds. If you are so judgmental based on opinions, i hope your patients do not get offended by you not liking them when their opinions differ with yours as well. Well, i guess it is a good thing you are in the army then; your patients will be forced to see you (how unfortuante for them)

BTW, i did and will continue to volunteer overseas.

HAVE A NICE DAY

Just to call a spade a spade, you were pretty judgmental yourself. /end rant

wow.. babysitting needed already.

You guys find another way to deal with your frustrations

thanks. must have missed that on the website. appreciate it.

i'm looking at maybe ob/gyn surgery, and that's in dire need in other countries. part of why i want to switch to medicine is to solely serve underserved here (free clinics and the like) and abroad. and i'm just me (older, and no family) so i can do that without compromising anyone else's life. and i don't need much except some books and music, and an occasional shower, to be happy and comfortable, so the money's nothing to me.

yay!

now, nycom, take me already!!!

gottalovemilk said:
It is amazing though that you judge me based only on my opinions than my actions as a person.

You are being judged based on your "action" of regularly posting purposefully insulting and inflammatory content on a public message board. So, based on your logic, the criticism is valid. :thumbup:

JakeHarley said:
You are being judged based on your "action" of regularly posting purposefully insulting and inflammatory content on a public message board. So, based on your logic, the criticism is valid. :thumbup:

:thumbup: Glad I am not the only one who noticed. He/she has been consistently doing so. :rolleyes:

noonday said:
thanks. must have missed that on the website. appreciate it.

i'm looking at maybe ob/gyn surgery, and that's in dire need in other countries. part of why i want to switch to medicine is to solely serve underserved here (free clinics and the like) and abroad. and i'm just me (older, and no family) so i can do that without compromising anyone else's life. and i don't need much except some books and music, and an occasional shower, to be happy and comfortable, so the money's nothing to me.

yay!

now, nycom, take me already!!!

Also, have you checked out DOCare? It doesn't appear to have the prestige of MSF, but serving is serving and help is help regardless the form. It seems very accomodating to DOs looking for international medical volunteering: http://www.docareintl.org/.