Does minoring hold any advantage?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blue pill

No, not that blue pill...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Generally speaking, does anyone know if minoring in something, in addition to another major, would hold any sort of advantage in applying to Canadian pharmacy schools?

So say you have an undergraduate degree (major) in biology, and you take more classes afterwards to satisfy prereq requirements. Would taking extra (non-prereq) courses on the side to work towards a minor in Y confer any sort of advantage? Where Y has no direct relationship to any prereqs, nor pharmacy school itself (so for example, computer science, or arts).

Members don't see this ad.

minor isn't worth anything, it doesn't even show up on a diploma, just on your transcripts.

my minor doesn't even show up on my transcripts!

Members don't see this ad :)
I double minored and both minors showed up on my diploma. I was surprised though, I was only expecting my major

It won't hurt, but it's not going to be the difference that gets you into pharmacy school. Pharmacy schools still accept a wide variety of students for minors to make a difference. Pursue a minor if you have the time and interest but don't feel like it's going to give you a significant edge or backup for low stats and skills.

Nope - a minor essentially states - you took (5) classes in a general topic... Truth be told - it is a semester "filler" at UF. You don't need one at all. That being said - it couldn't hurt (unless you rocked a 2.0... that would).

However - this is just the opinion of a few people on an anonymous board. Why not ask this question to one of your prospective schools??? You get the double bonus: Voice time with the school + answer to your question.

~above~

However - this is just the opinion of a few people on an anonymous board. Why not ask this question to one of your prospective schools??? You get the double bonus: Voice time with the school + answer to your question.

Haha, very nicely put. Well if you minored in a language I think it'll help... in the long run, not necessarily for admissions purposes.

I don't know about you, but I'm pretty close to completing a minor in several areas because I took two courses in one field, three courses in another, two in something else, etc... so I would need just a few more courses in the minor I desire BUT unfortunately there are so many pre-reqs for pharmacy schools that it's tough to squeeze it in. There should be a minor in Pre-Pharm!! :laugh:

Aside from interesting cocktail exchanges, minoring can be an excellent way to formalize your interests and talents... especially if you enjoy any combination of music, art, or writing. I'd imagine Canadian schools look at minors the same way US ones do. Just make the grades - I've heard that minors can help boost your overall GPA and define your well-roundedness to an ad-com.