Does my IA ruin my chances at med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yuhh

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.68 sGPA, 503 & 522 MCAT scores

Long story less long; i got too drunk at my first homecoming experience in 2017. I took the basic online alcohol ed class. I forgot to include this to my AMCAS and secondaries so I sent updates to secondaries/emailed admissions that don't have that option. Will this IA ruin any minimal chance I had to top schools like cornell, yale, mount sinai, or any med school tbh?

Yes, it is on my student record bc I just emailed my undergrad institution yesterday to see if I had any prior violations so I let my schools know.

:(

Members don't see this ad.

Long story less long; i got too drunk at my first homecoming experience in 2017. I took the basic online alcohol ed class. I forgot to include this to my AMCAS and secondaries so I sent updates to secondaries/emailed admissions that don't have that option. Will this IA ruin any minimal chance I had to top schools like cornell, yale, mount sinai, or any med school tbh?

Yes, it is on my student record bc I just emailed my undergrad institution yesterday to see if I had any prior violations so I let my schools know.

+1

I'd love to hear what the adcoms have to say. @Goro @gyngyn @gonnif @LizzyM @Angus Avagadro

The offense doesn't sound awful. The fact that you "forgot" about it until after you submitted and it turned out that it was reported by your school does.

Reactions: 2 users
+1

I'd love to hear what the adcoms have to say. @Goro @gyngyn @gonnif @LizzyM @Angus Avagadro

The offense doesn't sound awful. The fact that you "forgot" about it until after you submitted and it turned out that it was reported by your school does.
I thought those disciplinary actions pertained to academic dishonesty and stuff. so it completely took my mind away from an alcohol incident which i didnt even know was considered disciplinary action. regardless, i let them know as soon as my school notified me that it was IA. idk how admissions will see all of this tho

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought those disciplinary actions pertained to academic dishonesty and stuff. so it completely took my mind away from an alcohol incident which i didnt even know was considered disciplinary action. regardless, i let them know as soon as my school notified me that it was IA. idk how admissions will see all of this tho
I didn't mean to cast aspersions because it doesn't really matter. The issue is how it looks. Since it never occurred to you to disclose when you were filling out the application, what possessed you to check with your school to see if anything was reported? Again, I'm not an adcom, so I'm really interested to hear from them, but to me, it looks like you turned a nothing into a something with the delayed disclosure after they received it from the UG.

Reactions: 1 user
I didn't mean to cast aspersions because it doesn't really matter. The issue is how it looks. Since it never occurred to you to disclose when you were filling out the application, what possessed you to check with your school to see if anything was reported?
one day, i just started becoming neurotic on anything that made me a bad applicant so i started to build stress over the alcohol incident and saw on previous reddit/sdn posts that they were IA’s. so i emailed my school to see if it was on my own record.

thank you for the quick replies tho, i really appreciate anything regarding this lol

one day, i just started becoming neurotic on anything that made me a bad applicant so i started to build stress over the alcohol incident and saw on previous reddit/sdn posts that they were IA’s. so i emailed my school to see if it was on my own record.

thank you for the quick replies tho, i really appreciate anything regarding this lol
Good luck! I really feel for you. Hopefully the adcoms will say much ado about nothing due to the minimal underlying offense.

I didn't mean to cast aspersions because it doesn't really matter. The issue is how it looks. Since it never occurred to you to disclose when you were filling out the application, what possessed you to check with your school to see if anything was reported? Again, I'm not an adcom, so I'm really interested to hear from them, but to me, it looks like you turned a nothing into a something with the delayed disclosure after they received it from the UG.
oh btw, i think you might be a little mistaken on what happened. My undergraduate insititution didn’t notify my medical schools on anything. I personally asked for the record to be sent to me so I can see. Med schools don’t know anything besides for my update letter and apology!

Reactions: 1 users
No it won’t ruin your chances. It will most likely delay the processing of your application though. Although, this would be true for if you had checked the IA box, I am not sure how your app will be affected from the emailing of an update like. Could be affected worse than if you had just checked the box, or better, who knows.

Either way, alcohol IAs are not deal breakers at any schools (besides maybe Loma Linda)

Reactions: 1 users
No it won’t ruin your chances. It will most likely delay the processing of your application though. Although, this would be true for if you had checked the IA box, I am not sure how your app will be affected from the emailing of an update like. Could be affected worse than if you had just checked the box, or better, who knows.

Either way, alcohol IAs are not deal breakers at any schools (besides maybe Loma Linda)
*sigh* a delay=more interviews and seats being given away from me :(

Yes, of course. Did you expect it to have zero effect on your application?
hmm by delay u just mean take kids just like me minus the IA? i didnt know they delayed, i thought i’d get an interview like usual and from there, they wud either just deny, accuse, question, accept me

either way, i just hope my MCAT grind wasnt in vain tbh, thats all i hope for

We Adcoms were young and stupid once as well. So no, this really is minor.

Your 3.7 GPA is more likely to keep you out of the really Top Schools; that and being a 2x MCAT taker.

Reactions: 5 users

Your 3.7 GPA is more likely to keep you out of the really Top Schools; that and being a 2x MCAT taker.
ur response is much appreciated!

and *sigh* yea i agree too. Cornell was just for the heck of it since $ wasnt an issue, but Mount Sinai... really hope they dont outright reject me! life long new yorker and would love to attend/practice in the city, especially big ones as these schools

Members don't see this ad :)

I’m actually curious about this. With OP’s stats, his LizzyM score would be a 76 - which is above the average for the top schools. I’m sure you’re right, but why do you think the gpa would be the limiting factor? Because wouldn’t the mcat be in their 80-90th percentiles?

Because wouldn’t the mcat be in their 80-90th percentiles?
Depends on how the evaluator factors in the multiple MCAT attempts. A 503 & 522 MCAT score combo is not equal to a single 522 MCAT attempt.

I also agree that this IA should not cause too many issues as long as the OP owned up to it in their apology email, and if nothing else happened.

Reactions: 3 users
Depends on how the evaluator factors in the multiple MCAT attempts. A 503 & 522 MCAT score combo is not equal to a single 522 MCAT attempt.

I also agree that this IA should not cause too many issues as long as the OP owned up to it in their apology email, and if nothing else happened.
ive had this bad habit which shows in my transcript. I never did stellar since the beginning, as my gpa and MCAT shows.
gpa was 3.46->3.66->3.77->3.96 each year, and MCAT went from 503->522 in jr and sr years, respectively. everything has been an upward trend, instead of consistency

and yes, alcohol was the only trouble

ive had this bad habit which shows in my transcript. I never did stellar since the beginning, as my gpa and MCAT shows.
gpa was 3.46->3.66->3.77->3.96 each year, and MCAT went from 503->522 in jr and sr years, respectively. everything has been an upward trend, instead of consistency

and yes, alcohol was the only trouble
like that upward trend really encouraging.

• Care
I'm sorry to have to break this to you like this but the failure to report and then to report late is the greater sin than the alcohol IA itself. You''ve got a "ready, shoot, aim" approach to life and this may not serve you well.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
I'm sorry to have to break this to you like this but the failure to report and then to report late is the greater sin than the alcohol IA itself. You''ve got a "ready, shoot, aim" approach to life and this may not serve you well.
but how bad are the sins, is the question? lol

most schools emailed back saying like “ty, we added it to ur file. best of luck”

We won't know until the cycle is over. What's done is done. Why worry?
haha nah im not much stressed over it anymore. now that secondaries and MCAT is over, i have nothing to do (besides work) so im just asking nonsense questions. ik im being annoying with the replies and stuff but thank you to everyone who replied anyway!

Lots of factors as stated above. Schools look at things differently. Top schools with GPA, and repeat MCAT may not show love. ADD an IA that was unreported initially may make for a long climb into a top school. Other schools.may not be so selective. I believe you have a good shot at admision somewhere, may not be a top 20. It's not the end of the world. Look at the residents list at top programs. There are lots of residents from mid tier schools. Wherever you go, strive for excellence. If you graduate in the top quartile, you are in good shape. Good luck and best wishes!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
hmm by delay u just mean take kids just like me minus the IA? i didnt know they delayed, i thought i’d get an interview like usual and from there, they wud either just deny, accuse, question, accept me

either way, i just hope my MCAT grind wasnt in vain tbh, thats all i hope for

I have heard that literally, if you check the IA box, the IA has to get manually reviewed separately before returning to the "pile" for review and consideration. So that is the delay. While other apps will be sent straight into the review process.\

Obviously I might be wrong and each school does things differently, but this is what I have heard, and it makes sense logistically.

I have heard that literally, if you check the IA box, the IA has to get manually reviewed separately before returning to the "pile" for review and consideration. So that is the delay. While other apps will be sent straight into the review process.\

Obviously I might be wrong and each school does things differently, but this is what I have heard, and it makes sense logistically.

Source? Wondering because I'll have an IA for poor academic performance

Lots of factors as stated above. Schools look at things differently. Top schools with GPA, and repeat MCAT may not show love. ADD an IA that was unreported initially may make for a long climb into a top school. Other schools.may not be so selective. I believe you have a good shot at admision somewhere, may not be a top 20. It's not the end of the world. Look at the residents list at top programs. There are lots of residents from mid tier schools. Wherever you go, strive for excellence. If you graduate in the top quartile, you are in good shape. Good luck and best wishes!
may i pm you my school list? i would love your opinion. if your busy tho, that’s ok!

Source? Wondering because I'll have an IA for poor academic performance

No source, but every box you check electronically is for filing and sorting purposes for software to add you to electronic "piles" for review (except the boxes that say specifically that they have no effect on your application i.e. sexuality). I have read a lot of past school threads and people with IAs unanimously agree that they were reviewed later than some others.

Every school obviously has to read apps in a specific order that they create, they do not just view apps in the order they come in -->(this is a fact stated by the adcoms on this site)

I wouldn't worry about your IA. The IAs that they really care about is cheating/academic dishonestly. That is the one that is the HUGE red flag. Poor academic performance IA would hurt your app obviously, but it will get overshadowed by the effect that a low GPA has on your app (I assume your GPA is lower if you had an IA for poor performance, sorry if I am wrong).

No source, but every box you check electronically is for filing and sorting purposes for software to add you to electronic "piles" for review (except the boxes that say specifically that they have no effect on your application i.e. sexuality). I have read a lot of past school threads and people with IAs unanimously agree that they were reviewed later than some others.

Every school obviously has to read apps in a specific order that they create, they do not just view apps in the order they come in -->(this is a fact stated by the adcoms on this site)

I wouldn't worry about your IA. The IAs that they really care about is cheating/academic dishonestly. That is the one that is the HUGE red flag. Poor academic performance IA would hurt your app obviously, but it will get overshadowed by the effect that a low GPA has on your app (I assume your GPA is lower if you had an IA for poor performance, sorry if I am wrong).

That does make sense, yeah. Thank you!

are you me??? I did the exact same thing like almost word for word

ia's hurt a lot regardless of med school, but am almost sure they will disqualify you at the top ones where they already get a ton of perfect applicants

ia's hurt a lot regardless of med school, but am almost sure they will disqualify you at the top ones where they already get a ton of perfect applicants
Eh I'd disagree. 1) depends on context of IA 2) people with criminal charges get into top schools, one (non serious) IA isn't a dealbreaker

@wallstreetbroke : fair enough, those are definitely the exception than the rule though. and given most already have like 2% acceptance rates i'd wager the "IA-admits" had the rest of their app be absolutely phenomenal / significantly above the average admit

@wallstreetbroke : fair enough, those are definitely the exception than the rule though. and given most already have like 2% acceptance rates i'd wager the "IA-admits" had the rest of their app be absolutely phenomenal / significantly above the average admit
my friend had 3 IA’s for diff reasons. got 2 A’s and interviewed 4-5 schools. had a 3.7/3.8 and 515. i think ur overestimating the effect of IA’s

II’s werent at top 20’s, although one was at NYU LI... but thats also confounded by his low MCAT for top 20 schools

Last edited:
You seem to be looking at higher tier schools than I ever was but I got in just fine with my IA and accompanying felony charge with almost exactly average stats for DO. I don't believe the IA was ever part of the holistic review; rather the IA and how you explain it is a binary yes or no, then if you get a yes, your application goes into the pile with everyone else. I don't believe there is an element of having to "make up for" your IA, other than putting time and life experience, because then you would expect to see that the worse the IA, the higher the GPA and MCAT, which simply isn't a reasonable way to think about someone's former indiscretions. (I would, on the other hand, expect to see that the worse the IA, the more time generally passes between the IA and the acceptance.)

I wouldn't be too worried about the nature of your IA, but like the sdn adcoms are saying, it may actually be worse that it wasn't included in the application. Could come across like you were trying to hide it.

As @gonnif has said, you should assume you've been rejected until you are admitted. The IA screen is sort of, "would we even consider admitting this person considering that they've done this?" If the answer is "no", then there is no further need to review or discuss. Hard stop.

If the answer is "yes, we might consider this person despite the IA in light of what has happened since then" it goes into the pile with everyone else. Cue "staying alive" music clip.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users