does neurology count towards science gpa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

californiamed

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if neurology counts towards science (BCMP) gpa? I know neuroscience does...

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends... You could go ahead and classify it if the course description is close enough. I had some Psych classes that covered neurology/neuroscience that were counted toward my science GPA and some that didn't.

Neuroscience courses count such as Neuro 201 or Advanced Neuro. But courses in the major that are under PSych do not count, it's classified as BESS or sth by AMCAS

Members don't see this ad :)
Neuroscience courses count such as Neuro 201 or Advanced Neuro. But courses in the major that are under PSych do not count, it's classified as BESS or sth by AMCAS

I classified a Cognitive Neuroscience course from the Psych department with a PSYC tag as BCPM, and they accepted it.

Classify whatever you feel is right/will help your GPA within reason and see what AMCAS says about it.

Call AMCAS if you're really not sure

It really depends... You could go ahead and classify it if the course description is close enough. I had some Psych classes that covered neurology/neuroscience that were counted toward my science GPA and some that didn't.

It's a research course, so it's called "Neurology 199 - directed research". It had a lot of neuro stuff (i was examining brains with dementia), and I know a lot of people had counted there research as a science course.... but mine isn't called neuroscience - it's Neurology, so i'm not sure =/