Does prestige of PA school matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdhopeful77

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am an undergrad student, previously MD-hopeful, who is now interested in the prospect of PA school as I feel it will better suit what I want out of my career and life in general.

As I am starting to look into PA schools, however, I am wondering if the prestige of the PA school that you attend matters when you go to get a job. I know for MD schools if you attend a Top 10, it is likely to make a difference when it comes to getting into a good residency program, so I was wondering if the same goes for PA schools in terms of job prospects and even the ability to get into a selective residency program after finishing PA school if that is the route I choose to take.

Additionally, when looking at the "top" PA schools, would one go by the US News rankings or are there other ranking systems that are commonly used as well?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Any PA is just a PA. You can be an Ivy League educated PA, and have to be supervised by a foreign educated physician that graduated at the bottom of their class. But it can be that way in a lot of careers. Bill Gates has a lot of well educated people working for him.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It looks nice on your CV.

Reactions: 1 user
If you graduate from Yale, you get to call yourself a "physician associate."

Reactions: 1 users
For the most part, no one cares once you have your license and able to perform. Find the cheapest school. I would even say the same for med school that is not top20.

Reactions: 1 user
No. No one who is hiring you knows anything about the credibility of PA schools. For the most part, it is assumed that you will be taught everything you need to learn by your supervising physician. My advice is to focus on learning as much as you can to take care of patients the best you can during your training. Best of luck!