Does "previewing" work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ludy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Nearly every book I have seen on study tips for med school recommends "previewing" before lectures and/or before reading the assigned chapter. I haven't tried it yet because it seems like a waste of time if you're going to end up reading the chapter anyway, but I'm ready to start this year off right :) The books claim it improves efficiency in the long-run by giving you a framework to start with and increasing retention as you read the chapter later (or go to lecture).

Has anyone tried previewing (basically, reading the table of contents, intro, bold terms and end-of-chapter summary, and looking at the figures)?

I only read about half of the assigned reading for first year (if that), but I know Robbins is one of those texts I really should sit down and read, so I'd like to do it somewhat efficiently :) Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

In my opinion, previewing works extremely well. Whenever I preview, I find lectures more interesting and am more likely to pay close attention and to learn the material. Once that is complete, I can go back and read the entire chapters. And you know what? It goes a lot faster since I've already learned most of it.