Does PT Aide count as Clinical Experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brjpo

Reaction score
I’ve been working as a PT aide for the past year now and I’ve seen a lot of debate on wether this is a good clinical experience for medical school.

I interact a lot with the patient on a day to day basis, their therapy sessions usually last an hour and there is a lot of dialogue between me and the patient. I explain a certain exercise and give them basic answers to some of their concerns. Of course the conversations are more complex than just “explain exercise #1, then #2, etc.” Also, I’ve gotten a pretty good feel of how a small clinic setting functions (there are 5 of us in total). There is a lot of teamwork involved, communication, insurance issues, anatomy in my normal day of work.

So my question is, why is this clinical experience not taken account (by some people) for when applying to medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

You interact with patients. It meets the definition in my book. I've seen it counted by adcom readers at my school. I don't know why some people would not count it as clinical experience.

Reactions: 2 users
You interact with patients. It meets the definition in my book. I've seen it counted by adcom readers at my school. I don't know why some people would not count it as clinical experience.
Awesome thanks!

I’ve been working as a PT aide for the past year now and I’ve seen a lot of debate on wether this is a good clinical experience for medical school.

I interact a lot with the patient on a day to day basis, their therapy sessions usually last an hour and there is a lot of dialogue between me and the patient. I explain a certain exercise and give them basic answers to some of their concerns. Of course the conversations are more complex than just “explain exercise #1, then #2, etc.” Also, I’ve gotten a pretty good feel of how a small clinic setting functions (there are 5 of us in total). There is a lot of teamwork involved, communication, insurance issues, anatomy in my normal day of work.

So my question is, why is this clinical experience not taken account (by some people) for when applying to medical school?
I think it's a terrific active clinical experience and I also find it hard to believe it wouldn't be counted.

Reactions: 1 users