Does research experience help with admissions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chaseianmo

Reaction score
Will research actually make a difference to physical therapy schools? I see a lot of people talk about their diverse hours and leadership roles, but nothing about research.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes! I only had 3 credits of undergrad research experience, and it was totally unrelated to PT or health care. BUT that experience was still the most significant talking point in all of my interviews (and several of my essays). Faculty seemed genuinely interested in the fact that I even had research experience at all. I was even asked several follow up questions about the content of my research (even though, like I said, it wasn’t remotely PT-related)

It’s hard to quantify how much something like research experience is valued by programs, but being consistently asked about it in my interviews seems like a reasonable flag for its value

Last edited:
Yes! I only had 3 credits of undergrad research experience, and it was totally unrelated to PT or health care. BUT that experience was still the most significant talking point in all of my interviews (and several of my essays). Faculty seemed genuinely interested in the fact that I even had research experience at all. I was even asked several follow up questions about the content of my research (even though, like I said, it wasn’t remotely PT-related)

It’s hard to quantify how much something like research experience is valued by programs, but being consistently asked about it in my interviews seems like a reasonable flag for its value
That’s interesting to hear. I did a little over a year of research in a Psychology lab. I did a lot for them (running participants, writeups, data analysis. It even culminated in a published research paper where I was a coauthor)
Currently I do research in a spinal cord injury lab. We work with mice and I handle cryosectioning, staining, and using a microscope on tissue samples which I then image. I also help out with the surgical procedures.

Tbh I figured all of this wouldn’t really matter to the pt programs but I think you may have a point.

Members don't see this ad :)
That’s interesting to hear. I did a little over a year of research in a Psychology lab. I did a lot for them (running participants, writeups, data analysis. It even culminated in a published research paper where I was a coauthor)
Currently I do research in a spinal cord injury lab. We work with mice and I handle cryosectioning, staining, and using a microscope on tissue samples which I then image. I also help out with the surgical procedures.

Tbh I figured all of this wouldn’t really matter to the pt programs but I think you may have a point.
All of that is phenomenal honestly. I think that will be the gem of your application and I would bring it up as often as is reasonable in your essays and interviews

Of course you can talk about psychology or spinal cord injuries, but make a bigger point to highlight all of your responsibilities in the lab. It sounds like you were in a leadership position, so I would sell that hard. Also, you coauthored a published paper? That’s a huge deal

My research was in coral reef ecology, and it was still so easy to relate it to PT. I talked endlessly about research philosophy, why it’s important in science in general, why it’s important in PT, how I’ll use research to influence my practice, how experimental design in marine science compares to PT, etc… I even talked about the statistical programs I used (which I’ll never use again) and about how experience with learning something new quickly and on the fly could apply to my potential success as a PT student or as a practicing PT in the future

Research is seriously the easiest (and probably most impactful) topic for your essays and interviews

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
It's always a good thing but it'll really shine at more research intensive PT programs. Also usually helps you get a really great LOR from the PI you were doing research with. Research can also in some cases be a great way to get PT-like experience if you are in a research lab that studies a rehab population- stroke, TBI, autism, etc. You can get hands on experience working with individuals with disabilities this way.

Reactions: 1 user