Does research seem like a good idea in this situation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asigna

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone I'm a sophomore and I want to do research in the fall of my junior year but I'm in a situation:

I plan to start studying for MCAT2015 during the fall until next semester. I want to keep my workload light with two or three science classes and the rest non science. I will also be continuing to volunteer at the hospital I am now at. But the thing is I really wanna do research too. How is it gonna look to med schools if I'm not in research at the point of. My junior year. Will it look bad? I'm sure there any many people who have similar questions but I'm just wondering because of the new mcat and I want to have plenty of time to study. Honest opinions? Please and thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If want to go to a top 10 med school that are all research-oriented, then yes not being in a lab by junior year will be bad. It takes time for you to grow as a student researcher, for your PI to get to know you well, and for you to get publications out. But if you're not set on going to a top research med school, then research is not as important. It still is good, but by no means necessary. I also highly suggest that you study very hard this summer and take the old MCAT. Studying during the fall when you have to juggle a good amount of school work is very hard to do and very few I've seen have been successful at it. There are so many changes to the 2015 MCAT (being twice as long, covering more subjects, and most people who went through a trial section for the new MCAT said it is harder than the current exam). Thus, I would strongly suggest you take the old MCAT before hell rolls in. I think it is perfectly doable to do research in a lab this summer and then study for the MCAT during the evenings. 3 months with several hours of dedicated study time every day will most likely lead to good results. I would suggest skipping the volunteering and just concentrating on research and the MCAT. Clinical experiences are easy to pad, but getting a publication takes a lot of time to get. Hope that helps. Good luck with everything :)

With a light course load, you'll have plenty of time for all of that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't taken physics yet which is why I wasn't planning to study mcat over summer

I'll honestly prob start studying for new mcat come July until I take it