Does School Location Matter? (NYU vs Tufts)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chada

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm deciding between NYU and Tufts and have been stuck for awhile. While I personally like Tufts over NYU for the smaller class size and overall vibe, I like New York better than Boston (lived around New York all my life, while I did go to Boston for college so I like Boston too). At the end though, I think I would eventually like to practice in NY since I have family here and know more people here than I do in Boston. Would it be better to just go to NYU since it would be easier to network with people? (my friend goes to NYU already and my uncle knows a professor in NYU) or should I go to Tufts and come back to NY afterwards?

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

PS - Though I'm not 100% sure, I would like to keep an open mind about specializing. Does class size matter in terms of getting a high GPA/specializing???

Members don't see this ad.

I went to med school but I think the same advice will apply to dental school. Those are both quite prestigious and your education will likely depend on entirely what you put into it. Go where you are going to be happiest and most comfortable. There can't be enough said for having family/friends around when going gets tough or you just need to get away for a bit.

Survivor DO

The alumni networks of both schools will be vast and great in the new england area.

How much cheaper is Tufts?

Members don't see this ad :)
The alumni networks of both schools will be vast and great in the new england area.

How much cheaper is Tufts?

Tufts is about 30k cheaper over 4 years, which is a good amount but not enough to affect my decision in my opinion

If you like the smaller class size, go to tufts. I know plenty of Tuft graduate that practice in NYC (and they are very successful). It is not a problem to set up shop in NYC afterwards.

I also have grown up around Boston and New York so I understand your dilemma. I have many friends in both schools and I seem to hear happier thoughts from Tufts. I know dental school is tough no matter where you go, but it seems my friends at Tufts are happier with both location and overall experience. I know that family and friends are enticing but you are going to be in school for 4 years, working really hard. I would think that you would want a place where you like the vibe better so that it makes the experience better for you