Does School Matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Go to Michigan.

Reactions: 1 user
I am in disagreement with some of the other posters here. I think that it could potentially matter. I graduated from a Texas school and got a very well rounded hands on clinical education. I have talked and worked with several Ivey league grads in the northeast that extracted like 5 teeth in all of their training. I extracted 5 on the first day of my oral surgery rotation.

It's not just pulling teeth. Overall I do not believe some schools provide an adequate clinical experience.

I would talk to current seniors at these schools and ask out their clinical experiences. They are all going to bitch and moan about some of it but ask them.

1. How many teeth do you think you will have extracted in school.
2. How many crowns will you have completed?
3. How many root canals on live patients will u have completed?
4. How many denture cases will you complete.
5. Are students staying over in the summer to get their requirements done? Give u an idea on if the patient population is adequate for the school.

If there are big differences in these go were you will have the best clinical experience.

Reactions: 1 users
Other than question #5 above, which is a valid question, you will get all of the 1-4 experiences in a GPR.
My BU and Michigan grads have all been good clinically.

Hi, asking current dentists/residents if the school you go to really matters? I have ~13 days to make an absolute final decision on which school I want to go to. Both are roughly the same cost at around ~300K factoring in living costs. My goal is to become a general dentist and do a GPR after graduation, work under another dentist for x years and eventually open a practice.

The schools I'm debating between are University of Michigan and Boston University. BU is closer to where I live and I'd have family support going there, whereas Michigan is a highly regarded school. Will I be a better trained dentist going to Michigan vs BU? Thanks for the input!
Did my OS residency at U Mich. Ann Arbor is a great college town, cost of living ain't too shabby. It's friendly, quaint. When I oversaw the dental students in the OS clinic they seemed to be very happy with their clinical experience. Yes Boston is closer to family... how about cutting the umbilical cord and trying something new? AA definitely lacks the hustle and bustle of Boston. Not necessarily a bad thing.

Reactions: 1 user