MPH Does the MPH school you go to matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ride3221

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I am interested in doing a masters in public health.
1. As long as it is CEPH accredited, Does it matter what school I go to?
Will I still have high job prospects regardless of the CEPH accredited MPH program I go to? Can I still find a lot of good jobs even if I don't go to a ranked MPH program
2. Do I have to choose a specialization for ex. epidimeology or biostatistics, or can I just
do a general degree and still have a lot of jobs to choose from.
3. How is the job outlook for MPH graduates? Do most students get jobs within 3-6 months after graduation?

Members don't see this ad.

Finding a job isn't an exact science, but just like with attending a prestigious undergrad institution, attending a prestigious MPH program will surely be viewed as a positive on your resume/CV. A good school, however, won't make up for a lack of experience or lack of training, though.

I think there are programs that aren't specialized, but the majority offer a concentration or specialty in a specific area as you tend to deep dive into that subject. Most jobs will likely ask for a specific discipline and not just public health as a requirement for employment.

I don't know any stats off the top of my head, but there are a good number of opportunities. Emory has a pretty extensive list of current job postings: http://cfusion.sph.emory.edu/ that is routinely updated. You can at least get an idea of what employment opportunities are most common.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you. But would a certificate be any good in addition to the MPH? For example
if I got a certificate in Epidimeology, would that count as specializing in a specific area?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you. But would a certificate be any good in addition to the MPH? For example
if I got a certificate in Epidimeology, would that count as specializing in a specific area?

I honestly have no clue how certificates are viewed. Most jobs I've seen usually ask for a masters or doctorate in PH. But if you're getting a MPH, it's probably less time consuming and expensive to specialize in epidemiology, rather than get a general MPH without a specialization and then also get a epidemiology certificate, I would think?

The school Im planning to apply to do not have any specializations or concentration.
I believe its only a general MPH degree

Is this an online program?

To answer your questions:
  1. Obviously, going to a prestigious school/program never hurts. It will certainly open doors, but it won't necessarily get you a job. As long as it's CEPH accredited, go to the school that will give you the training and opportunities you need (regardless of rank). I would not recommend going to a school that is not CEPH accredited. The accreditation serves a purpose - ensuring that you are receiving an education on par with certain standards. Plus, I have seen job postings specifically state that your degree come from a CEPH accredited school/program.
  2. I don't see much point in a general degree. Even with specialized degrees (e.g., epidemiology, community health, etc.), you receive a general education in all the public health domains, but you focus on a given area, which provides you with the opportunity to become a subject matter expert. You might be putting yourself at a disadvantage when competing with individuals who do have a concentration. I think certificates are more helpful when you already have a concentration, but want more versatility. For example, an MPH in behavioral/community health with a certificate in epidemiology.
  3. Depends on many factors - where you live, your concentration, work experience, etc. I recently graduated in May and have been able to find a job, as well as most of my cohort.

1. Ceph is important. Most will teach you the same but if you are looking for certain electives or hope to work with specific faculty that will influence your decision. Also the network for practicum is important.
2. Yes there are some schools with a generalist Mph. WashU and Virginia commonwealth come to mind. Usually the smaller schools with the mph inside of another school. I'd suggest developing expertise somewhere though.
3. Depends on the school. They all have to report their stats so just look on their website or ask. Generally yes.