does the name of the school matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrblackcoffee

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does the name/reputation of the pharmacy school matter when getting your PharmD? say comparing ferris state with northeastern? I know for retail it doesn't matter but I've heard differing answers for something like industry or residency/clinical.

Members don't see this ad.

I have little to no faith in the private "blank University" colleges of pharmacy. Sullivan University, Harding University, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
the answer is minimal, getting your first job in a hospital or residency - yes it does, depending on the area, but after being out a few years, naw - your work experience/CV/interview skills take over - and this goes both ways - I don't care if you are a UCSF grad, but don't have the credentials to back it up (meaning life experience)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on whom you ask. At my old residency program, interviews were not offered to applicants who attended a school that was not ranked in the US News and World Report.

Depends on whom you ask. At my old residency program, interviews were not offered to applicants who attended a school that was not ranked in the US News and World Report.
they rank 100 schools - so if you can't be from a top 100school, bless your heart

Does the name/reputation of the pharmacy school matter when getting your PharmD? say comparing ferris state with northeastern? I know for retail it doesn't matter but I've heard differing answers for something like industry or residency/clinical.

Ehh, not really.

There's only one school in Texas I know to be sub par, with a history of academic dishonesty concerning the NAPLEX.

I have little to no faith in the private "blank University" colleges of pharmacy. Sullivan University, Harding University, etc.
Harding is a complete joke. Arkansas has no need for a second college of pharmacy. They admit subpar students and had a 60% pass rate on the Naplex in 2016. It's a complete joke.

I may have my issues with how UAMS is run, but it is a solid institution that has been providing quality education in our state for decades.

I've heard talk of managers not considering applicants from new schools regardless of credentials. The majority don't seem to care about school though. That said, there is at least a slight selection bias out there. Edit: Fraternities on the other hand, that's where I've seen a real difference.

All else being equal, I think most managers are going to go with the applicant from an established school, over a newer school. This is likely to be even more true, as the number of pharmacists vying for jobs increase. If you have a choice, I would go with the established school over the newer school.

Sometimes it also depends on local reputation. For example some lesser known pharmacy schools may have really good reputations with local hospitals whereas if you moved out of state for residency they might know nothing about the school and assume the worst.

From what I have heard, Rutgers is pretty synonymous with industry in the northeast/mid atlantic regions. Makes sense given their location. I would guess other schools in major pharma hub cities would have some connections as well

The guy who hired me wasn't even a pharmacist so I doubt he knew whether my school was top 10 or ITT Tech Skool of Farmacy...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I go to a state school, and all the admins and profs think the school is pretty hot. Year after year, they increase the class size, because they think our U.S. News and World report ranking will somehow shield their grads from the over-saturated market. But recently, I've been checking out residency programs, and notably, many current residents of these programs are grads from [insert private pharmacy school that opened 2-3 years ago here]. I've also noted that a number of clinical pharmacists at the hospitals I've applied to are grads from the newly opened private schools as well.

"Our state school is the best. You are MUCH more competitive than grads from those other private schools." Har. Har. Har. :prof:

Although I obviously don't have a basis for comparison on didactics, I will say that some of my school's profs were BAD at teaching. What the school excels at above everything is really its rotation sites. They've basically monopolized all the good sites, and the private unis don't have near the diversity of sites that my school does.
It also depends on the area. Residency programs that are located in more rural areas, or in cities that are far away from the big state schools or immediately in proximity to the private school are more likely to have a higher percentage of pharmacy grads from the smaller, private pharmacy schools.

With that being said, if you can choose between the state school and the private one, I would choose state. It definitely doesn't mean everything, but I do think it gives you a leg up on the competition. Also, if you can stay in-state, your tuition will be cheaper. Pharmacy school loans these days are nothing to sneeze at.