Does the school you go to really matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Profchaos said:
:laugh:

Paris Hilton is very hard working in bars and clubs only. :laugh:

Not that I'm a fan of most of her work, although a certain video of hers wasn't bad viewing :D :eek: ;) , but I read a stat on her that between her TV contract, modeling contract, film contracts, and endorsement deals, she'll make over 8 million this year, and that doesn't include her trust fund subsidy she gets for having her last name.

So as much as it kills me to admit, the simple fact that she started out being famous simply because of her last name has turned into a very profitable career for her :confused:

Although I will admit that I'm glad that I don't have to see what the amount that she has to pay the government each year, and even with deductions/charitable contributions, etc, it's still a big number I'm sure. If you think elsewise, do a Google search into something called the Alternative Minimum Tax and see how having too many business expenses/charitable contributions, etc can get you in the end. {Personal rant moment as I found out this tax year, the term Alternative Minimum Tax is a huge oxymoron :mad: }

Members don't see this ad.

reLAXgirl said:
I agree. We fail to realize the great opportunities many of us on here have because of our upbringing. The wealth or parents and grandparents have accumulated as well as the importance of education, hard work, etc. Some people have not been given these gifts. I think it unfair to say that to be poor is due to laziness. Some of the hardest workers are blue collar workers who make very little. Can you say they are lazy? Lazy in school, maybe? But does everyone have to be good in school or college educated to be labeled a hard worker? Some people have different talents and intelligences--the ability to work with your hands, to be a musician, to be a good test taker, and laziness in school maybe be due to other factors such as lack of affinity or interest.

Laziness isn't the only factor. Some people never have the opportunity to escape poverty, especially if you aren't blessed with an extremely capable mind or unusual motivation.

Lastly, how many lazy rich kids do you know? I know plenty, but somehow they stay rich. If family background has little to do with it and work ethic is the main factor then I am really confused.

Thanks for your post reLAXgirl. :) I was starting to get a little sad that nobody agreed with me.

And I agree with your point about rich kids. I went to college with a lot of them that I would honestly consider lazy. Most of them had never had any sort of job, their parents paid for their food/apartments/books/tuition. The only real work any of them did was study a little around exam time. And that was enough to get them accepted to law school and medical schoo. Most of the time they were just partying, drinking, and having fun. It seems like such an easy formula for them; just follow what your mom and dad did, put a little time into studying and they're set. In a lot of cases, many of them went to prep schools where you were considered a failure if you didn't go to college!! :eek: How nice!! How could they not succeed in life!!?

But even after saying all of that, I don't hold it against these rich kids. They didn't choose to be born into those nice, education-focused families. And who could blame them for taking advantage of their situation?! They didn't choose to be born into their nice families, just like very poor kids didn't choose to be born into their familes. However, it does anger me when these rich kids say things like "all poor people are lazy." Strikes me as being extremely insensitive, and also arrogant. Arrogant because they think their "hard work" is the #1 reason for them getting into law or medical careers. :thumbdown: Reality is much more complex.

Dr.Jeff, I was shocked and angered by your story of welfare abusers. But to clarify, it sounds like your gripe is with the government people who administer these programs. I mean, you'd think the welfare office would be cognisant of a $40,000 SUV bill showing up on a list of expenses.

Members don't see this ad :)
ChubbyBaby said:
... I was starting to get a little sad that nobody agreed with me.

And I agree with your point about rich kids. I went to college with a lot of them that I would honestly consider lazy. Most of them had never had any sort of job, their parents paid for their food/apartments/books/tuition. The only real work any of them did was study a little around exam time. And that was enough to get them accepted to law school and medical schoo. Most of the time they were just partying, drinking, and having fun. It seems like such an easy formula for them; just follow what your mom and dad did, put a little time into studying and they're set. In a lot of cases, many of them went to prep schools where you were considered a failure if you didn't go to college!! :eek: How nice!! How could they not succeed in life!!?
Don't be sad! I agree with ya! :) I consider not going to college after high school is a failure!
Rich parents=rich alumi=more money for the school=connections=easier for the kids to get accepted.

BTW, are you a "cute predental girl" or are you a "chubby baby"? I think those are 2 different things!

Divineimpetus said:
Who is John Galt?
I know John but not sure about Galt!

LAXgirl: I can't believe you would try to argue any intelligent point with Paris Hilton in it! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Well..... unless it has something to do with 'bedroom behavior.' ;)

tx oms said:
I blame people for allowing themselves to be a victim of their situation rather than rising above.

I agree. But at the same time, that blame should be balanced with a dosage of sympathy, no? Their failure to escape a negative situation warrants blame, but being born to an impoverished condition is a very difficult issue at hand. For that, they cannot be blamed.

Anyway, what was the topic again?

reLAXgirl said:
Some people have not been given these gifts. I think it unfair to say that to be poor is due to laziness. Some of the hardest workers are blue collar workers who make very little. Can you say they are lazy? Lazy in school, maybe? But does everyone have to be good in school or college educated to be labeled a hard worker? Some people have different talents and intelligences--the ability to work with your hands, to be a musician, to be a good test taker, and laziness in school maybe be due to other factors such as lack of affinity or interest.

Laziness isn't the only factor. Some people never have the opportunity to escape poverty, especially if you aren't blessed with an extremely capable mind or unusual motivation.

Lastly, how many lazy rich kids do you know? I know plenty, but somehow they stay rich. If family background has little to do with it and work ethic is the main factor then I am really confused.
I think it's unfair to assume poor people can't rise above their situation. I guess poor people are not only poor, but stupid too. Look, some people are content to work a little less hard in school and have less money in life. If that's the case, so be it. However, they have less money b/c of their choices. How about this: I'll change my position to say poor people are lazy in school.

BTW, everyone has the opportunity to escape poverty if they are born and live in the US. If they do not escape poverty it is by their choice.

As for rich lazy kids, you're right. They won't stay rich after mom and pops die and the fortune is blown in their incapable hands. Unless they are super rich, which is rare.

Look, I talked about this very thing with a 14 y/o poor black kid in the psych clinic. He's having behavioral problems and a lack of vision/role models. I told him I don't know what it's like to grow up poor and that I had lots of things given to me. I told him he's got way more disadvantages to overcome than I did, but that only he can decide what to do. He can choose to be a man, make some sacrifices, and pull himself up or continue the cycle. He could be angry, feel sorry for himself, and give up, or make a difference. Yes, it would be harder for him than me but it is still his choice.

I thought this post was about whether it mattered which school you go to? What happened? Why are we talking about welfare and rich people?

tx oms said:
... everyone has the opportunity to escape poverty if they are born and live in the US. . .
Amen to that brother!!!

egpndoc said:
I thought this post was about whether it mattered which school you go to? What happened? Why are we talking about welfare and rich people?
That post had ended a while ago! I guess somebody forgot to tell you! :D
this topic is much more interesting!

ChubbyBaby said:
Dr.Jeff, I was shocked and angered by your story of welfare abusers. But to clarify, it sounds like your gripe is with the government people who administer these programs. I mean, you'd think the welfare office would be cognisant of a $40,000 SUV bill showing up on a list of expenses.

I think the people who run the welfare office are at the same level of intelligence as the people receiving the welfare (Medicaid). Dr. Jeff said it well; my eyes were opened to the vast realm of welfare abuse when I moved to New York City. Wow. It really does make the hard working people look like suckers sometimes. I shocked my mom when I told her about my stories, she wondered who paid for it all. My response, "Mom, you paid for it when you paid your New York state taxes!"

Again, I also see plenty of people who also truly need the assistance. But some of the folks really make me wonder...

[BTW, my "Medicaid incident of the day" would have been the 50-something alcoholic telling me "My liver doctor says for 10 years that I am not on the critical need list. But I think I want a new liver, I feel tired and lazy." I reminded him livers were not in abundance and there are people in much worse shape that are probably ahead on the list. But I don't think he cared or understood, seeing as he doesn't ever seem to remember to brush.]

"Poor people suck" --Eric Cartmen

Discuss among yourselves.

DrJeff said:
Not that I'm a fan of most of her work, although a certain video of hers wasn't bad viewing :D :eek: ;) , but I read a stat on her that between her TV contract, modeling contract, film contracts, and endorsement deals, she'll make over 8 million this year, and that doesn't include her trust fund subsidy she gets for having her last name.

So as much as it kills me to admit, the simple fact that she started out being famous simply because of her last name has turned into a very profitable career for her :confused:

Although I will admit that I'm glad that I don't have to see what the amount that she has to pay the government each year, and even with deductions/charitable contributions, etc, it's still a big number I'm sure. If you think elsewise, do a Google search into something called the Alternative Minimum Tax and see how having too many business expenses/charitable contributions, etc can get you in the end. {Personal rant moment as I found out this tax year, the term Alternative Minimum Tax is a huge oxymoron :mad: }

I see someones been keeping up with the Wall street journal, great article by the way!

I learned long ago while in Vietnam that a person's perception of how well off he is depends a great deal upon his perception of the standard of living of those around him. In the USA the media bombards us with the perception that it is easy for folks to live the high life without hard work (Professional Sports Stars, Hollywood Celebs etc). Many folks buy into that BS and sit around depressed because their rightfully due pot of gold has not dropped on their door step. The truth is, with the exception of the lucky few like Paris Hilton, most high profile wealthy folks have had to work real hard to get and maintain their status (read about the work ethics of Jerry Rice and Cher for example).

Take an opposite example as demonstrated by my firend from Uganda. In Uganda he was dirt poor through no fault of his own. He often had to choose between feeding his children and himself. He barely survived when rebels came through his village and took all he had in exchange for his life. Well somehow he got to America. Once here, he worked the day shift at Jack In The Box and the night shift at a warehouse in order to save up enough money to assist his family and eventually get them to the USA. By the time his family arrived, he had a night job as a guard in a Juvenile Detention Facility and attended college during the day. He graduated with a BA and was accepted to a very competitve law school. Next year he will graduate from that law school. What was different in his case? When he got to the USA even the most meager situation that he observed was far better than he had ever experienced. To him, there were now no barriers to success if he just worked hard. Great true story.

groundhog said:
I learned long ago while in Vietnam that a person's perception of how well off he is depends a great deal upon his perception of the standard of living of those around him. In the USA the media bombards us with the perception that it is easy for folks to live the high life without hard work (Professional Sports Stars, Hollywood Celebs etc). Many folks buy into that BS and sit around depressed because their rightfully due pot of gold has not dropped on their door step. The truth is, with the exception of the lucky few like Paris Hilton, most high profile wealthy folks have had to work real hard to get and maintain their status (read about the work ethics of Jerry Rice and Cher for example).

Take an opposite example as demonstrated by my firend from Uganda. In Uganda he was dirt poor through no fault of his own. He often had to choose between feeding his children and himself. He barely survived when rebels came through his village and took all he had in exchange for his life. Well somehow he got to America. Once here, he worked the day shift at Jack In The Box and the night shift at a warehouse in order to save up enough money to assist his family and eventually get them to the USA. By the time his family arrived, he had a night job as a guard in a Juvenile Detention Facility and attended college during the day. He graduated with a BA and was accepted to a very competitve law school. Next year he will graduate from that law school. What was different in his case? When he got to the USA even the most meager situation that he observed was far better than he had ever experienced. To him, there were now no barriers to success if he just worked hard. Great true story.

Good post.

So true...

groundhog said: