Does this count as an institutional action?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBossDoctor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. So a few months ago, I got caught going through an emergency exit. It didn't set off a building-wide alarm...it only set off a local alarm that couldn't be heard from more than 50 feet away.

Nevertheless, I still had to meet with the dean, but he just gave me a warning. Does this count as an institutional action? The school didn't really do anything other than warn me, and that doesn't seem to be an "action" (unlike community service, mandatory online classes, suspension, expulsion, etc.).

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone. So a few months ago, I got caught going through an emergency exit. It didn't set off a building-wide alarm...it only set off a local alarm that couldn't be heard from more than 50 feet away.

Nevertheless, I still had to meet with the dean, but he just gave me a warning. Does this count as an institutional action? The school didn't really do anything other than warn me, and that doesn't seem to be an "action" (unlike community service, mandatory online classes, suspension, expulsion, etc.).

No, you're fine.

Members don't see this ad :)

No.

Thanks guys. Just making sure. I was just wondering because this incident is listed in my file in the dean's office.

You need to call and ask if they will report it to med schools. Mine was only a warning but I had to report it. Make sure you know for sure they won't report because if you say no but the school reports it, you will have a lot of explaining to do to med schools.

you must have been drunk. who would want to deal with endless sirens and confrontation instead of simply finding another exit?

You need to call and ask if they will report it to med schools. Mine was only a warning but I had to report it. Make sure you know for sure they won't report because if you say no but the school reports it, you will have a lot of explaining to do to med schools.

THIS

OP, you got a warning from a university official. the key is whether or not your school counts a warning as an institutional action.

at some schools, a warning doesn't count as a disciplinary sanction, while at others, it does. confirm with your school.

you must have been drunk. who would want to deal with endless sirens and confrontation instead of simply finding another exit?

It wasn't endless sirens. The alarm just sounds while the door is open and once the door is shut, it stops ringing. People use that exit often. I unfortunately got caught after doing that one too many times.

Anyways, it doesn't show up on my transcript (I've checked my official transcript), but I'll check with the dean's office on Monday to see if its reportable.

^ new yugioh sucks...how can you like it?

How do you know its on Official Transcript?...

How do you know its on Official Transcript?...

Ask the registrar? Send yourself a copy? Ask the dean? Those are all ways you could probably find out.

Last edited:
IMO I dont think you have any violation so ...shouldnt be on your transcript.

Definitely find out for sure

It wasn't endless sirens. The alarm just sounds while the door is open and once the door is shut, it stops ringing. People use that exit often. I unfortunately got caught after doing that one too many times.

Anyways, it doesn't show up on my transcript (I've checked my official transcript), but I'll check with the dean's office on Monday to see if its reportable.

This doesn't mean anything though. My transcript says I was in continued good standing with the school throughout my IA. You need to ask "Will you report this incident to med schools?" If they say yes, you need to report it.

This doesn't mean anything though. My transcript says I was in continued good standing with the school throughout my IA. You need to ask "Will you report this incident to med schools?" If they say yes, you need to report it.

Yea I know I'm gonna ask my dean's office tomorrow.