Medical Does this count as clinical hours for admission?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tantacles

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have started volunteering at my local Catholic hospital. For the first month of volunteering, they had me volunteering in the pharmacy. Although it was interesting to see all of the drugs, how hospital prescriptions were filled, and how the tube system worked, I ultimately ended up asking for a new assignment because of the lack of patient interaction. I am now in a newly formed eucharistic minister position where on Sunday's for around 2 hours I go bring communion to patients who have marked that they would like to receive. This involves sitting down and talking to the patient, entering into prayer, distributing to them the host, speaking a little more, and moving on to the next room. This is very patient involved and sometimes I may even have to gown up to visit some patients. Is this considered as clinical volunteer hours? I enjoy doing it, but how many hours should I realistically have when applying? I have various non- clinical volunteer hours, but I just want to make sure I have enough clinical hours to show I am serious. I have about 300 paid clinical hours for working as a mental health tech at a hospital for 3 months until the unit closed down. I guess I am wondering, would my new eucharistic minister volunteer position be sufficient for getting clinical hours? Thanks!
If you are interacting with patients, it definitely counts as clinical volunteering hours. It also sounds like this is an experience that you enjoy and that you would be able to speak about during interviews, which is a definite plus for your application.

Members don't see this ad.

As there are chaplaincy offices in many hospitals, I would probably mark it up to being clinical or service experience. Mind that you may want to think about how that might play towards certain schools you may be considering applying to, especially those schools supported by religious organizations.

Status
Not open for further replies.