Does this make sense?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MIRPh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm in a tough spot because after I got licensed; I have not gained work experience and as a result lost some confidence.
Ideally, I would like to approach my future employer-retail pharmacy, and say :-
My priority right now is to gain experience and so, I'm willing to work for a lesser pay scale compared to the current market value. The thing is I need some training in store before actually being put in charge of the store.
I feel by saying this, I'm acknowledging that though I'm tecnically sound; I know that I lack experience. Secondly, the workplace gives me room to learn ,in a non threatening way.
What do you think? Any other suggestions on how to compensate for lack of experience? Do I work as a tech initially or agree to volunteer ?? Please contribute. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I'm in a tough spot because after I got licensed; I have not gained work experience and as a result lost some confidence.
Ideally, I would like to approach my future employer-retail pharmacy, and say :-
My priority right now is to gain experience and so, I'm willing to work for a lesser pay scale compared to the current market value. The thing is I need some training in store before actually being put in charge of the store.
I feel by saying this, I'm acknowledging that though I'm tecnically sound; I know that I lack experience. Secondly, the workplace gives me room to learn ,in a non threatening way.
What do you think? Any other suggestions on how to compensate for lack of experience? Do I work as a tech initially or agree to volunteer ?? Please contribute. Thanks.

If you are a licensed Pharmacist than what experience do you really need to work in retail. I know plenty of people who's only retail experience was on rotations and they have jobs. I know the availability of jobs is lower than in the past, but you need to just walk in and say "I'm a registered Pharmacist and I am applying for this position" You will be trained on the workings of the retail pharmacy and the being a pharmacist part, you should already be prepared for.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in the same boat as you, firstly never tell an employer you will take a lower wage due to lack of experiece, your license has a certain value...if every new grad was upfront it would lower the salaries for anyone starting a new/different entry level position. Every starting position has some sort of training, they don't expect you to go on your first day and just know what to do. (Though if you've been working as a tech at a retail store and have no idea how to use the system as a pharmacist you def have a problem :p )

Ok so what to you do now? Easy, bring out those naplex books or old school notes and freshen up :)

If you're going retail, skip over iv's and tpn's and other subjects you will prob never see. If you're going long term care, don't worry about birth control or neonates/children/infants. And what about hospital? Well with that just study for everything..except maybe birth control.

I was 2 months looking for work after I got licensed, but now that I am, guess what I'm doing? Pulling out that rxprep book!

Hope this helps! :D
Sent from my Epic 4G using the SDN mobile app!

Never say you will take less pay. If you need help just ask a senior tech. You will learn quickly.

Thanks everyone
All of your advice really helps. My fear was that I would be expected to know all the pharmacist's resposibilities on my 1st day at work and have to run the store alone.
Like someone mentioned it is the actual workings of the store( insurances,billing ,rejects at data entry etc ) that worries me, not the actual pharmacy knowledge. Anyways , ur posts calmed me down a bit. Thank you again.

Thanks everyone
All of your advice really helps. My fear was that I would be expected to know all the pharmacist's resposibilities on my 1st day at work and have to run the store alone.
Like someone mentioned it is the actual workings of the store( insurances,billing ,rejects at data entry etc ) that worries me, not the actual pharmacy knowledge. Anyways , ur posts calmed me down a bit. Thank you again.

I think experienced techs in any pharmacy expect a shiny new pharmacist to not know anything besides the p-cology/p-therapy. Let your tech deal with the insurance stuff, data entry, and be humble and learn from them. If you dont know anything and you are humble they will help. As someone said before your license has value and dont ever ask for less pay. You will be fine.