Does this plan sound good? MCAT Retake this cycle, advice needed!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wegotthis14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I scored a 30 on the 5/22 MCAT. Since I'm an ORM, I'm not sure if this is high enough (cGPA: 3.7, sGPA: 3.65, okay EC's and recs) and I want to retake and apply this cycle.

AAMC Average: 32.5 (Range 31-34)

I was planning on retaking either July 12th or July 25th.

I plan to submit my AMCAS within the next week. That means I will have to dedicate a significant amount of time to my essay. Also, I'd like a little more time to review physics. Therefore, I'm leaning towards a 25th retake. I don't expect a huge score increase, but I'm confident that I can score a 32 or 33.

How does this sound? I submit my AMCAS for verification next week, then I retake the MCAT on July 25th. I expect to be verified mid- to late-August and to receive my retake scores late August. While I'm waiting, I write my secondaries, so I'm ready to apply right when I receive the secondary applications. This way, I should have my secondaries submitted by September 1. If I were to do this, would it place me at a significant disadvantage? Should I retake on the 12th instead?

I'm already taking a gap year, so I definitely want to apply this cycle. I'm aiming for any MD school.

Thanks so much! I appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Please let me know! I'm currently scheduled to take the July 12th MCAT and this is the last day to reschedule!

What makes you so sure you will get a 32-33?

Members don't see this ad :)
Scoring within 2.5 points of your average doesn't really scream retake as your 'performance' was on par with your practice. If you submit next week and then start studying, that leaves you with a month to not only get back to where you were in May but also go further. You shouldn't retake unless you are scoring 33-34s.

Your AMCAS will take longer than a week if you haven't started it either. The essay is only one part of it.. you have to manually insert all your classes.. and then write up a paragraph (or two) for each activity.

I'd solicit some advice here from LizzyM/gyngyn as to whether you're competitive for low/mid tiers as is.. if not, you may have to take the risk but July 25th may be too early.

I think you're drastically underestimating the amount of time you should be spending on your primary application. Your PS should probably go through several drafts and reviewed by a lot of people. The works/activities section takes a surprisingly long amount of time as well. Especially since your GPA is pretty solid and MCAT is OK (sure below average, but 50% of the people who get into medical school get <31) and it was around your practices. You risk the chance of doing worse, and that would significantly decrease your shot at MD programs. No doubt, you will be even more stressed this time around because so much more rides on this run.

This is not a process that you should rush OP. Do the best you can, and present yourself the best way you can. MCAT is only one part of the process. A 30 might keep you away from the top programs, but you can totally make it into an MD program with those numbers and solid ECs. Best of luck!

Sorry, I should clarify. I have started the AMCAS. I have already input all my classes, input the biographical info and am almost finished with the activity blurbs.

I have been studying since my retake, though not as intensely as I could. I have been scoring a good number of 34's lately. I also took several Kaplan tests and scored well on them (though I know these scores aren't perfectly representative). I scored a 9 on the PS section because I neglected to appropriately prepare for the topics tested. I am certain I can adequately learn these topics within a month.

If I don't feel significantly better about my retake, I plan to void the test and apply with my current score. However, if everything goes well, does my plan to retake on July 25th sound good? From what everyone is saying, July 12th sounds like a big risk.

The risk in any future test date is that unless you are consistently nailing a 34, I would be hesitant to retake because if you do worse than your first score (on any subject, not necessarily just overall), schools may think that the number from your second test is more representative. Just depends honestly.

I would not retake unless you are absolutely hell bent on a top tier school. Use MSAR online and you can find plenty of schools that your stats fit.

The risk in any future test date is that unless you are consistently nailing a 34, I would be hesitant to retake because if you do worse than your first score (on any subject, not necessarily just overall), schools may think that the number from your second test is more representative. Just depends honestly.

I would not retake unless you are absolutely hell bent on a top tier school. Use MSAR online and you can find plenty of schools that your stats fit.

Baxter, I completely understand what you are saying. I signed up to retake weeks ago, so I'm going to retake it for the sake of $300. I will void the test if I don't feel great about it (intuition has served me well on 14 practice tests). Thanks for the support.

Good luck. Study hard. I think either date would be fine, if you think you will legitimately use the extra time, then delay the test. If it's possible you'll be a little preoccupied and may not take advantage of the time for studying, then don't delay the test.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you're drastically underestimating the amount of time you should be spending on your primary application. Your PS should probably go through several drafts and reviewed by a lot of people.

THIS. I spent 20+ hours on each, and completely rewrote my PS three times. I got SO sick of working on my it, but kept at it. My prehealth advisor said my PS was the best he's ever seen, and asked if my university could use it as their "good" example in PS workshops from now on.

Don't skimp. Your PS puts your face on your numbers. Spend that time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
THIS. I spent 20+ hours on each, and completely rewrote my PS three times. I got SO sick of working on my it, but kept at it. My prehealth advisor said my PS was the best he's ever seen, and asked if my university could use it as their "good" example in PS workshops from now on.

Don't skimp. Your puts your face on your numbers. Spend that time.

I moved my test retake date to 7/25 and I'm going to be beasting the PS for the next week or two. Thanks for the advice guys!