1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

Does this put me at a disadvantage?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by laundry, May 10, 2007.

1. laundry

Dentist
    I went to college a year early (skipped 8th grade) to where I don't turn 21 until my last semester of senior year. You think the selection com. is gonna look at me as a kid and think that I have all the life ahead of me and can just reapply? I have a 4.0, taking DAT in a month (looking at 20-22), and a CV better than any finishing grad student (trust me on that one). So, you think my age will matter?

cheers

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. djeffreyt

djeffreyt Senior Member

Dentist
    If your age mattered...would you be able to do anything about it?

and no, your age won't matter. There are a pair of 19 year olds attending dental school with me in a month. I've even heard of 18 year old attending dental school.

If you don't act like an idiot at the itnerviews...you'll be fine.

4. Mstoothlady2012

Dental Student
    No your age does not matter...its your stats that matter!

5. jeninny44

Pre-Dental

Generally speaking, whenever I see threads starting with "does this put me at a disadvantage?" type of question, my automatic answer is yes, and 99.9% of the time I am right.

In your case, I would say "no." You're fine. Good luck applying! :luck: :thumbup:

6. laundry

Dentist
    gee, i wish my DAT is gonna be in that same percentile :laugh:

7. as long as you are a better applicant people older than you than you will get in faster. age does not matter. this guy from my school got in when he was 19!!!!!!

8. reapply2007

reapply2007 Senior Member

Dental Student
    I agree. GPA and DAT are the two things that matter most. The interview is your opportunity lose your acceptance due to a misstep. The years of CC coursework, ECs, LORs are a way to help admissions people verify what they already decided. But, I've never really been a fan of the whole application process.

9. aggie-master

aggie-master Scrub

Dentist
    If you're scoring 22 on practice tests you'll probably get a 24 on the real thing.

10. TexDDS

Dental Student
    Age does not matter, but maturity level does.